Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I could see my wife's car bouncing on its suspension!

Relationship Issues >>>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bright morning here in Dublin - I can see high level clouds bathed in sunshine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Samaris wrote: »
    Yeeees, but how do people get home again?

Those kinds of business people don’t care about that sort of thing. It’s all short term or extremely short term thinking.

Sure, if they’re all trapped in the office they can do free overtime ...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I'm in the outskirts of cork city, really starting to whip up now. We're very exposed at the front of our house and I can see the trees really swaying now.

Just been sent home by my job after 5mins as I take public transport. Wish they would had said that before I got up at 6 to do the 1.5hr commute in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

emeldc wrote: »
    Power gone in parts of Cork already :eek:

Power also gone in parts of Tipperary and Killenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Mrs Storker has been grumpy since 8pm yesterday because she's fasting for a blood test, but isn't sure now that the test will even happen. Thankfully it's only a mile out the road from us and first thing in the morning so I can drive her out and back before the wind picks up. Then a feed of Superquinn sausages has been promised...

All quiet here still. Too quiet...

tenor.gif?itemid=5112674

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wesser wrote: »
    Nothing happening in Dublin
    .... .... a normal morning........

You do know it's not due to hit Dublin until later today.
    Not picking on you but the amount of people saying "not a breeze in Dublin etc" must have ignored every single forecast.Its only started to hit the SW in the last while.
    Even here in the SE it was dead calm until about 15 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

flaneur wrote: »
    Those kinds of business people don’t care about that sort of thing. It’s all short term or extremely short term thinking.

Sure, if they’re all trapped in the office they can do free overtime ...

That seems to be the mindset alright

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Totally forgot there is s ducting frabricater behind us which is north... till I heard them moving bits of stuff around.. the big yard is basically like a scrapyard.,,thinking of going down there and telling them if one piece of metal is picked up by the wind I will report them for littering

Take pictures, my neighbour has a trampoline they havent secured ive taken a picture there in case it flies around doing damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wesser wrote: »
    Nothing happening in Dublin
    .... .... a normal morning........

Idiotic comment

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Just picking up in limerick city now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Parts of Cork, Limerick, Mayo and Kilkenny suffering power outages, per ESB PowerCheck.

Who's she in there with?

Someone a lot more energetic than me, giving the hopping around!!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

storker wrote: »
    Mrs Storker has been grumpy since 8pm yesterday because she's fasting for a blood test, but isn't sure now that the test will even happen. Thankfully it's only a mile out the road from us and first thing in the morning so I can drive her out and back before the wind picks up. Then a feed of Superquinn sausages has been promised...

All quiet here still. Too quiet...
    That blood test is definitely cancelled. No outpatient appointments are being honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Really revving up in limerick now

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Binmen are out in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

See the reporter on tv3 now and about ten wheelie bins left out behind her :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

very strong gusts here in limerick we are fairly exposed top on hill and get battered anyway.

doors are rattling, spent the weekend making sure everything outside was either brought in or tied down. dogs are fairly unsettled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Guys, we have a couple of polytunnels, what should I do to protect them? Any advice
    Make sure the doors are closed securely where possible. If the wind gets the doors open then the tunnel could take off like a sail. You could tether the tunnels down with extra ropes but providing it has been properly installed (frame dug down etc) then it's a case of hoping for the best.

If you can afford to and have time to remove the poly do so now. But if you're like me you'll have produce in there all year around.

Similar situation here. Praying we don't lose the tunnel and/or if we do sustain damage that the frame stays in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Before I ring into a work to tell them I won't be in could someone please advise of the best reasoning. I am not the best at arguing and forsee my boss being difficult if I ring him.

Just that it is unsafe to travel and leave it at that

My sister works with dunnes and was fully expecting them to open but got a message earlier to say they are closing. She paid from her own pocket to stay in a hotel during that bad snow several yrs ago as was expected in at normal times . She said if dunnes are closing it's bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Connemara, Donegal and Sligo looks like they'll get most of the battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is it true that Galway Mayo Donegal Sligo are going to be worst affected? Heard it on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just home from work in Cork. Spent the last few hours shutting down what we could safely in case of power problems and letting the night shift get out earlier. A Few people still on site just to keep things ticking over. (Biopharma plant. Those batches don’t stop.) I would say anyone who doesn’t leave shortly will be stuck there til quite late looking at the forcast

Childcare was tough. Sent mine off to relatives for sleepovers last night, lucky to hav3 that support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

That’s quite a significant number of ESB outages in Cork. It looks to be over 2000 customers across several faults. Biggest ones are close to the city : Ballincollig and Riverstown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Bit of blue sky there but clouds are moving so fast it was gone in a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Doesn't seem as bad in Kerry so far - trees down around Killarney, but Tralee more squally by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Armada Hotel in Clare have done something similar.
    They even mentioned if you were alone you were welcome to come to the hotel till the storm passes - really nice gesture.

Advertisement