Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

Dublin Bus withdrawing all services from 10am. It was just announced on Newstalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 2017girl

Power gone-kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Sarn wrote: »
    I presume his boss is a meteorologist? I hope it won't be as bad in Dublin as predicted, but it is only common sense to use the available information that we have.

The reason it is only a gentle breeze is because the storm is a few hours away. The issue will be the afternoon and people trying to get back home.

Staff trapped at work. A companys dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford City - rising mean speed and gusting. Nothing out of the ordinary yet. The cloud cover is not total so in the quiet bits it feels pleasant enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

At the risk of being boring, one more Ophelia sunrise photo, as it shows good cloud top detail:

906Gq7S.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Now it begins. Holy crap this is some escalation

Where? Im in Rochestown area of Cork and nothing out of the ordinary here yet. Bit gusty so far is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

51kt gust at 8am in Galway according to met.ie. 40 at Belmullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

FFS Dublin Bus cancelling all services from 10am!! The ****ing morons.

Good luck to all who used the service to get to work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

lemmno wrote: »
    When the power goes my house alarm tends to go off too. Last time it happened the alarm was going off until power was restored, I couldn't stop it. Anyone know how to stop it if it happens again? I won't be able to leave the house to escape the noise and neither will my poor neighbours.

Put your pin code in when the power goes this normally knocks off the internal siren from ringing

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

When the power goes my house alarm tends to go off too. Last time it happened the alarm was going off until power was restored, I couldn't stop it. Anyone know how to stop it if it happens again? I won't be able to leave the house to escape the noise and neither will my poor neighbours.

Usually, putting in your code turn off paower failure alarms. Hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Ludo wrote: »
    Where? Im in Rochestown area of Cork and nothing out of the ordinary here yet. Bit gusty so far is all.

Rathcormac.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Penneys nationwide now closed for the day and all Cork debenhams stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

sjb25 wrote: »
    Dublin bus stopping all services at 10am

Wonder if that's really necessary... not that they're wrong for taking the precaution.

Lot of poor sods gonna be stuck at work all day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It needs a new battery. Why didn't you get it sorted before now?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MissTheDome

Achill island getting a decent belt. Feck this, I'm going to Dad's. The windows are shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The gusts are starting to pick up noticeably in Waterford. Looking at one of the fences in my back garden and assuming it will be gone by the time this is over.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rte saying thousands without power in South already, Dublin gonna be safe for a few hours yet, maybe 1-3 pm it will be kicking off. Time to charge my tablet and phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wonder if that's really necessary... not that they're wrong for taking the precaution.

They should have made the decision a couple of hours ago at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Connemara, Donegal and Sligo looks like they'll get most of the battering.

Getting very strong gusts already off Donegal Bay for the last hour. So grateful to the trusty meteorologists on boards for the well in advance warnings. Don't think I've ever cooked a dinner this early before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Those high narrow double deckers need to be put away before they turn into dominos

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

o1s1n wrote: »
    They should have made the decision a couple of hours ago at least.

Absolutely. It's not like anything has changed between now and when all counties were escalated to Red last night.

Some very weak decision making

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

sjb25 wrote: »
    Dublin bus stopping all services at 10am

Great ... Bring people to work and then leave them ****ing stranded ... What a shower on cnuts !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

This post has been deleted.

lol, I am assuming you are not in Toronto. Did not think the winds extended that far ;0

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Hitting my house in a south eastely direction. It's wild alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cork city centre, lights flickering. gone in ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The battery needs replacing in the alarm box

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dublin Bus withdrawing all services from 10am. It was just announced on Newstalk now.

absolute tossers

act as shuttle buses for sleveen employers and then leave everyone high and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

If the power goes my alarm will sound but putting the code into the panel disarms it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jmcpnw

I'm glad to see most people are taking this storm seriously but what I find deeply disturbing is the number of posters who are scoffing, saying its no big deal, or everyone is making a big drama over nothing. This is very dangerous. To be perfectly blunt unless these posters have direct *personal* experience of multiple severe temperate cyclones their opinions are not only completely worthless but highly irresponsible. If you have only lived in Ireland then unless you are over 60 you will not have experienced a storm like this one. As a kid back in the 1960's I heard all about the damage done by Debbie in '61. The storm of 1987 was fairly minor in comparison.

Looking at the models for Ireland for later on today I've seen numbers like those, and experienced them first hand, during various winter storms living on the West Coast of the US over the last few decades. At least five or six. So as a result I take this storm very very seriously. As would anyone who has seen the damage they can do first hand. These type of storms kill people. Its not just some generic winter gale. When you have both sustained and gust winds that are nudging Cat 1 territory you do not go outside unless you have an exceptionally good reason. This is doubly true in a country as unprepared for nationwide severe wind storms as Ireland is. There are a hell of a lot of potential life threatening missiles lying about. Not just trees but roof tiles / slates and all the general junk people should have secured yesterday. A roof tile traveling at 100kmh will kill you.

So best to treat today like a snowday. Or rather a blizzard day. Stay indoors and stay safe. And be prepared for the electricity to go out at some stage or other. Because it usually does during storms as serious as this one. If only to secure the grid infrastructure.

With a bit of luck, or rather a lot of luck, the storm will pass without any fatalities. Of course the scoffers will claim afterwards that this lack of casualties just "proves" that it was no big deal after all. Actually what it will prove is that enough people were made aware of the serious risks due to the storm and took steps to keep themselves safe.

Remember just how many people Debbie killed.

So everyone, stay inside and stay safe.

Advertisement