Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm not due in work until later today,we are still on wait and see mode. I know others are all in since 8am.It was the same during Darwin.Turned up to find the power out in the whole area,a text or call wouldn't have went astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Guys, we have a couple of polytunnels, what should I do to protect them? Any advice

Not much you can do you. I have been told that it is a good idea to open lee ward door/ flap to prevent explosive wind action. My polytunnel was designed as a model suitable for the Aran Islands and has withstood all storms to date. Fingers crossed...

I think this has been overrated. Maybe I'll change my mind later but Jesus the media hype is unreal !! Non stop . It's like we're all gonna die today .

If this wasn't an "ex hurricane " we would just get on with life as though it was another bad Autumn storm . Even the news from Kerry and Cork isn't bad at all , and the storm was meant to hit there 7 am ?
    One women from Tralee said the leaves had blown off her trees now . Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Getting very strong gusts already off Donegal Bay for the last hour. So grateful to the trusty meteorologists on boards for the well in advance warnings. Don't think I've ever cooked a dinner this early before.

Just was thinking of doing the same before it starts kicking off this afternoon here. Otherwise it will be jam sambos for dinner :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

I think this has been overrated. Maybe I'll change my mind later but Jesus the media hype is unreal !! Non stop . It's like we're all gonna die today .

If this wasn't an "ex hurricane " we would just get on with life as though it was another bad Autumn storm . Even the news from Kerry and Cork isn't bad at all , and the storm was meant to hit there 7 am ?

Three posts up from yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

This post has been deleted.

no impact expected in Toronto tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know that technically its downgraded from a Hurricane but to most people that suggests that its not going to be as bad as has been forecasted. Its a really bad phrase and I believe has caused the "sure it will be grand" lemmings to take a chance under the misguided idea that things have "improved"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Pelvis wrote: »
    FFS Dublin Bus cancelling all services from 10am!! The ****ing morons.

Good luck to all who used the service to get to work!!

They are idiots...I mean the people who went in knowing that it would most likely cancel all services later.

Also people working nights need to get home so why not run buses early if they can. People need to take some responsibility fo rthemselves and not blame met eireann, the goverment, Dudlin bus, etc etc for everything. Grow up ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Neighbour has a large skip bag sitting out the front of her house with lots of wooden objects in it. Tried to talk to her last night but she won't answer the door. Going to be fun and games if that wood starts flying around later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Great ... Bring people to work and then leave them ****ing stranded ... What a shower on cnuts !!!

In fairness, it's not like anyone could've predicted this scenario developing.

Oh, wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Just came from Lidl, its insane, literally entire parking lot of Lidl was occupied with cars and people shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone else see a flaw in the logic in checking esb website and twitter feeds for power outages when most likely you need the power for internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya see youve missed the whole point there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

SSE 18km/h
    Gust 26.4km/h

Dry
    Overcast

120m asl
    West Limerick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Warnings given : Keep posts civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

bbc says ex hurricane ophelia, strong winds. And that is it, that is what they say, no trolling, no nothing. Just saying exactly what the bbc are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Okay there we go. That was a huge bust there in cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

flazio wrote: »
    Anyone else see a flaw in the logic in checking esb website and twitter feeds for power outages when most likely you need the power for internet.

That's what your fully charged phone is for. :)

Waterford City Gusting raised a level or three in the last few minutes. Can hear the awnings creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Data?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not the case these days IMO. Majority of people will have 3G/4G coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Cork suburbs, Douglas. Still breezy, but only one strong gust I have noticed so far. Luckily not in an exposed position so not feeling brunt of wind yet. Power still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

5500 wrote: »
    Put your pin code in when the power goes this normally knocks off the internal siren from ringing

If it doesn't work, the battery is gone and needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'm afraid if I go to work I won't be able to get back home

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Neighbour has a large skip bag sitting out the front of her house with lots of wooden objects in it. Tried to talk to her last night but she won't answer the door. Going to be fun and games if that wood starts flying around later.

Take a photo of the skip bag just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

I'm on the cork coastline and it is very bad, were not even near the peak yet, I think you'll have a change of mind later when you witness how severe these winds are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Nothing much to report on the Waterford coast yet, sky mostly blue with sun breaking through and a bit windier than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Here comes the rain, power is gone in the houses a few hundred metres up the road (connected through CastleLyons)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Strange here in Wicklow (west).

Lovely blue sky, but the wind is starting to really kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Really weird looking skies here in Louth atm. Kind of yellowish hue to it.

Tonnes of birds circling very high up too. Surreal

Advertisement