Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

lawred2 wrote: »
    absolute tossers

act as shuttle buses for sleveen employers and then leave everyone high and dry
    Yes, they should have cancelled earlier, but people should have actually LISTENED and stayed at home in the first place. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

jmcpnw wrote: »
    Remember just how many people Debbie killed.

So everyone, stay inside and stay safe.
    Desmond back in '15 killed 3 in Ireland if I recall correctly.

I can't see this being less serious a storm, no matter how much they're overestimating it for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,778 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

flazio wrote: »
    Anyone else see a flaw in the logic in checking esb website and twitter feeds for power outages when most likely you need the power for internet.
    Tablets phones etc tend to work for a good while without power, 4g etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I've never heard wind like this in my lifetime. The trees around the house are really moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

What way will this pan out do you guys reckon?

Is it a gradual and steady increase in wind speed and intensity as it moves up the country or will it arrive as a very sudden and dramatic change in conditions as it enters an area?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Strong gusts in Castletroy, Limerick. The fact that there is no rain with it makes it seem less severe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Weird in Limerick. Was out to grab some milk and while it's a bit windy, everything is a slight golden/yellow colour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gael23 wrote: »
    I'm afraid if I go to work I won't be able to get back home

Exactly my thoughts. So I didn't go. Given that I'm in Sligo and work in Mayo, I think I made the right choice.

Still no word from my employers and I was supposed to start at 8am. (And yes, I did try to ring, been trying since 6am)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bbc says ex hurricane ophelia, strong winds. And that is it, that is what they say, no trolling, no nothing. Just saying exactly what the bbc are saying

BBC is UK centric and they'll give forecasts for NI at best. They are forecasting 70-80 mph winds but don't expect them to go into any details regarding the Republic.Stick with Met Eireann instead and you'll be better informed.
    Believe it or not TV3 is actually very informative this morning and it's a channel id rarely watch.

ESB: 6000 outages already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

The boss rang, no work today!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

How safe are we in our homes? Realistically? Like if we don't budge from the house we'll be grand ya?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

TV3 have just reported that Dublin Bus services cancelled from 10 a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

5500 wrote: »
    Put your pin code in when the power goes this normally knocks off the internal siren from ringing

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately our pin didn't work last time,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yes, they should have cancelled earlier, but people should have actually LISTENED and stayed at home in the first place. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Desmond back in '15 killed 3 in Ireland if I recall correctly.

I can't see this being less serious a storm, no matter how much they're overestimating it for safety reasons.

Wasn’t helped by various morons on different threads insisting that you’ll embarrass yourself if you didn’t go to work today. Good luck getting home today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Surprising okay outside Whitechurch in Cork. We get brutal winds owing to elevation here and while there's some strong gusts it's nothing to what I've seen before. I hope it stays that way because we've had numerous days without power since I moved out here. Early yet I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Weird in Cork. Extremely windy now but no rain and kinda hazy sunshine. Never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Getting strong gusts in south Kikdare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

All sent home Galway city. Still some tools out on their bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Supercell wrote: »
    Just was thinking of doing the same before it starts kicking off this afternoon here. Otherwise it will be jam sambos for dinner :)

And this is a bad thing why? :pac:

PAKNET wrote: »
    What way will this pan out do you guys reckon?

Is it a gradual and steady increase in wind speed and intensity as it moves up the country or will it arrive as a very sudden and dramatic change in conditions as it enters an area?

It will be calm-ish one moment and at full tilt the next

5500 wrote: »
    Put your pin code in when the power goes this normally knocks off the internal siren from ringing

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately our pin didn't work last time,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Got call to stay at home today. Very quiet for s Monday morning around Dublin city centre, very little traffic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

this sting jet term ive heard a few times been mentioned in the last hour is a bit of a worry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

anna080 wrote: »
    How safe are we in our homes? Realistically? Like if we don't budge from the house we'll be grand ya?!

Yes maybe a few slates off the roof and if theres any debris around theres a possibility of a window getting cracked/broken, but structurally our houses are built to withstand what we are going to see, remember the states generally build their gaffs with wood and have no foundations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

TV3 has much better reporting today than RTÉ, in my opinion.

Winds are starting to get stronger here in Sth Wexford. Trees swaying. Still very mild and no rain.

Reggie. wrote: »
    The battery needs replacing in the alarm box

As in the box on the wall outside or the pin pad inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

We will don't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Wind has risen properly in Arklow in the last 10 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I think this has been overrated. Maybe I'll change my mind later but Jesus the media hype is unreal !! Non stop . It's like we're all gonna die today .

If this wasn't an "ex hurricane " we would just get on with life as though it was another bad Autumn storm . Even the news from Kerry and Cork isn't bad at all , and the storm was meant to hit there 7 am ?
    One women from Tralee said the leaves had blown off her trees now . Mmmmm

Yeah, not half as wearying as reading posts by people who are unable to grasp why it is far preferable to err on the side of caution in these situations.

Check out the devastation and loss of life caused by the Storm of '87 in the UK. Or Cyclone Tracy in Darwin, Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea, biggest risk is stuff hitting a window and breaking it.
    Close curtains on wind exposed windows. Keep to rooms on sheltered side of the house.

Advertisement