Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

in work but probably closing at midday only 10 mins home (donegal)

nothing bar a normal windy day here so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Surprising okay outside Whitechurch in Cork. We get brutal winds owing to elevation here and while there's some strong gusts it's nothing to what I've seen before. I hope it stays that way because we've had numerous days without power since I moved out here. Early yet I suppose.

The worst won't hit for a while yet judging by the forecasts later this morning early afternoon is peak time in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I moved the car like 40 minutes ago and we secured the skip in our driveway - wind is getting stronger by the minute and clouds are moving really fast but it's nothing to worry about yet - Wicklow/Wexford border

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sun peeping out in Kilkenny. Gusty though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Fair few trees blocking roads in West and mid Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

anna080 wrote: »
    How safe are we in our homes? Realistically? Like if we don't budge from the house we'll be grand ya?!

You should be perfectly safe in your house

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Can anyone provide/advise some good Twitter accounts worth following to get some good real time updates?

Accounts we might not all be familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

barely a gust in Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I think this has been overrated. Maybe I'll change my mind later but Jesus the media hype is unreal !! Non stop . It's like we're all gonna die today .

If this wasn't an "ex hurricane " we would just get on with life as though it was another bad Autumn storm . Even the news from Kerry and Cork isn't bad at all , and the storm was meant to hit there 7 am ?
    One women from Tralee said the leaves had blown off her trees now . Mmmmm

It hasn't actually hit the country yet. 11-12 it will be in around the peak of it in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

It needs a new battery. Why didn't you get it sorted before now?

I didn't realise that's what the issue was. I'm in rented accommodation and the last time the landlord said it was because the alarm itself was old. I didn't know any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

TV3 guy in Limerick,

30 minutes ago barely a breeze.

Seems very blustery now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

PAKNET wrote: »
    What way will this pan out do you guys reckon?

Is it a gradual and steady increase in wind speed and intensity as it moves up the country or will it arrive as a very sudden and dramatic change in conditions as it enters an area?

It will go from 0 to roof gone pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, biggest risk is stuff hitting a window and breaking it.
    Close curtains on wind exposed windows. Keep to rooms on sheltered side of the house.

I am loving my small bedroom window in my apartment right now. I need no excuse to stay in bed all day.

I was in the Centra downstairs in our building just now. The manager told that they are planning to stay open all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes, they should have cancelled earlier, but people should have actually LISTENED and stayed at home in the first place. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Desmond back in '15 killed 3 in Ireland if I recall correctly.

I can't see this being less serious a storm, no matter how much they're overestimating it for safety reasons.

People are naturally afraid of losing their job. It really takes the mickey to pressure employees into work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

lemmno wrote: »
    When the power goes my house alarm tends to go off too. Last time it happened the alarm was going off until power was restored, I couldn't stop it. Anyone know how to stop it if it happens again? I won't be able to leave the house to escape the noise and neither will my poor neighbours.

For future reference :

The alarm rings during a power cut because your backup battery (in the panel) is flat and needs to be replaced. The ringing is caused by separate batteries installed in the external bells themselves. They are designed to ring in cases where your power is deliberately cut. When mains power is still available to your panel, it 'holds off' the external bell ringing, when power is cut, the bell rings by itself, usually out of reach so that it cant be silenced by a burglar.

Not much you can do now... change your panel battery tomorrow. The bell will stop when its own battery runs out, or if the mains power is restored. I have seen people here say that you can cancel an external bell ring during a power cut using your code number - not sure about that, the panel might not have any battery power to accept an input when the mains fails

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Still barely a breeze in Gorey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Rulmeq wrote: »

Rapidly stiffening breeze in south Dublin. More interestingly overhead: two-level thin cloud decks moving remarkably different directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

in work but probably closing at midday only 10 mins home (donegal)

nothing bar a normal windy day here so far

In Donegal ere, went to work this morning for 7.30 with An Post, all sent home....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

This is why going to work in Dublin was madness, buses off and this on the irish rail website
    Cork Commuter and Portlaoise Commuter
    Cork/Cobh and Cork/Midleton services will terminate at 10:00hrs
    Portlaoise Commuter services will terminate after 11:20 Heuston Portlaoise & 11:20 Portlaoise Heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

What sort of storm is this! I'm in Cork city and there is the odd gust but really just like a normal day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sligo will get a bad hammering.

GAA forum is here mate...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=269

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

VinLieger wrote: »
    remember the states generally build their gaffs with wood and have no foundations

Am, I think you mean their bleedin' gaffs. Get it right, jeez.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Emergency planning in full swing now. Be grand

3crutqep55sz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Head office just sent out email, "Due to the current weather conditions which you will all be aware of, in the interests of safety we have decided to offer all staff the option of leaving the office with immediate effect and where possible to work from home." Bit late to call it at 9.02 am when buses will stop running at 10 am in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Any updates on the midlands? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

West cork quite mental winds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

joanne donnelly mentioning sting jets again on rte 1 radio. "Don't take your children out, [..] leave your children at home"

• Advertisement

The legend Joanna is on RTE Radio 1 right now, "It's not as bad as it will get yet"

Advertisement