Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

anna080 wrote: »
    Thanks. Trying to console an asthmatic mammy here Debbie trauma and other health issues!
    Not gonna lie I'm scared enough myself.

My granny as terrified of wind. I mean, really terrified. It was a phobia. And her chimney was particularly noisy in a storm. She'd come straight to our house at any sound of wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Only an absolute cnut of an employer would insist on opening today putting people at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The boards.ie Christmas party is sorted this year with the advert revenue from this thread alone!! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any updates on the midlands? :pac:

I think it’s a bit gusty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any updates on the midlands? :pac:

Bit of a gust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

What sort of storm is this! I'm in Cork city and there is the odd gust but really just like a normal day

It's really starting to pick up steam now. Massive gust there. Live just 20 mins outside cork city. It's only going to get worse

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Giblet wrote: »
    Wasn’t helped by various morons on different threads insisting that you’ll embarrass yourself if you didn’t go to work today. Good luck getting home today

My office has just told everyone to go home due to Dublin bus pulling services, but a lot of people had wfh anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

My mate was expected to go into work for AA insurance in Dublin city centre. He said Aviva, eir, 123.ie, penny's, brown Thomas, Dunnes, Arnotts, Allianz are all closed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Necrominus wrote: »
    Exactly my thoughts. So I didn't go. Given that I'm in Sligo and work in Mayo, I think I made the right choice.

Still no word from my employers and I was supposed to start at 8am. (And yes, I did try to ring, been trying since 6am)

My boss said don't but it would come out of my holidays so I kind of feel I have to go

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Esel wrote: »
    Going to work isn't the problem. Getting home again is.

My company just caved to peer pressure and told everyone to leave at 11am.
    Dublin city center.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Clamball wrote: »
    Head office just sent out email, "Due to the current weather conditions which you will all be aware of, in the interests of safety we have decided to offer all staff the option of leaving the office with immediate effect and where possible to work from home." Bit late to call it at 9.02 am when buses will stop running at 10 am in Dublin.

Scumbags. Really lousy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cianos wrote: »
    My mate was expected to go into work for AA insurance in Dublin city centre. He said Aviva, eir, 123.ie, penny's, brown Thomas, Dunnes, Arnotts, Allianz are all closed

Brown Thomas is closed? Oh the humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It's getting very blustery here in clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Tryng to see a leaf move in South Dublin at the mo...

I assume it will get much worse though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

anna080 wrote: »
    How safe are we in our homes? Realistically? Like if we don't budge from the house we'll be grand ya?!

Well if ya have a timeframe house. I hope ya like holidaying in the Shetlands :)
    Just kidding hopefully when people have the sense to stay out of the worst of it. Should be OK.

Gael23 wrote: »
    My boss said don't but it would come out of my holidays so I kind of feel I have to go

They MUST give 24hours notice for a mandatory annual leave push.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

getting pretty wild here in cork. got sent home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I was just reading how often tornadoes occur in hurricanes, scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Getting dark and winds picking up in waterford.

just had a 57km gust

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

joanne donnelly mentioning sting jets again on rte 1 radio. "Don't take your children out, [..] leave your children at home"

I thought that was great advice!

'If you must go out, leave your children at home'.

:pac::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

LEIN wrote: »
    The boards.ie Christmas party is sorted this year with the advert revenue from this thread alone!! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

So the mods will get their coke and hookers early this month? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Semena Mertvykh

126kph gust recorded at Cobh.

Breezy & blue skies here in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

__..__ wrote: »
    Dublin city center.

But the buses are finished at 10...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

I’m one of the many now stranded at work with buses stopped. Due to finish at 1 when the storm is at its height on the east coast. I work in a DIY store and amazingly, people are shopping. Most Irish thing ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I am just hoping I can still get my smashed avocado in South Dublin somewhere today and tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

South tipp really starting to get lively out there.

Stay safe everyone.
    **watches nextdoors trampoline under pressure already**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

dusf wrote: »
    I am just hoping I can still get my smashed avocado in South Dublin somewhere today and tomorrow.

Well it will be smashed... finding it might prove tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

__..__ wrote: »
    Dublin city center.

That's nice of them,an hour after bus services are pulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

What sort of storm is this! I'm in Cork city and there is the odd gust but really just like a normal day

Give it a few hours. There'll be gusts of up to 150 kmh late afternoon in Cork.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.9;-8.5;5&l=gust&w=fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

dusf wrote: »
    I was just reading how often tornadoes occur in hurricanes, scary stuff.

Advertisement