Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

I’m one of the many now stranded at work with buses stopped. Due to finish at 1 when the storm is at its height on the east coast. I work in a DIY store and amazingly, people are shopping. Most Irish thing ever

Says your man in work during a hurricane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Clamball wrote: »
    Head office just sent out email, "Due to the current weather conditions which you will all be aware of, in the interests of safety we have decided to offer all staff the option of leaving the office with immediate effect and where possible to work from home." Bit late to call it at 9.02 am when buses will stop running at 10 am in Dublin.

My bosses are "discussing the matter" at the moment. 40 minutes til buses stop. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Getting very blustery in north cork. Nothing too severe yet but very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I haven't seen a vehicle pass on the Ring of Kerry, aside from a coast guard Jeep, since I got up at 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

In Limerick and at work...bit blustery but not due to hit here till lunch time, city centre is a ghost town though...passed through this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I’m one of the many now stranded at work with buses stopped. Due to finish at 1 when the storm is at its height on the east coast. I work in a DIY store and amazingly, people are shopping. Most Irish thing ever

Buying DIY stuff to repair the damage - that's definitely thinking ahead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Got a text last night from bodd telling us work was closed. Gutted 😂.

Stay safe all!!!!

I was debating whether to go in or not, received no official confirmation (IT company in Dublin). I came in, as did everyone else, and now I'm probably stuck here because of the bus cancellations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Tryng to see a leaf move in South Dublin at the mo...

I assume it will get much worse though...

No, the worst of it is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

La.de.da wrote: »
    South tipp really starting to get lively out there.

Stay safe everyone.
    **watches nextdoors trampoline under pressure already**

put down 3 foot bars into the ground to hold down the trampoline i'm only hoping it will stay put and not wreck the parish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

No it isn't. Where are you getting that idea from!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Getting gusty in Arklow now. Was flat calm 30 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

All of the 20 odd stores for the company I work for are closed. Received notification about half 7 this morn.

I know someone working for Smyths toy stores and staff were told to come in as even if they close "there's loads to be doing"... ridiculous attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Anybody know the latest up to date projected track of the storm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My bosses are "discussing the matter" at the moment. 40 minutes til buses stop. Ridiculous.
    Go home.

They will waffle and fap and then tell you to go home anyway in case they could be liable if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Just arrived in Roscommon.
    Roads very busy.
    It's stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Working in rosslare harbour just got told to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

84.5km gust in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Paully D wrote: »
    Not the case these days IMO. Majority of people will have 3G/4G coverage.
    Do you think every site has power backup though? I can tell you they definitely don't, and some of the more rural or high sites can use kWs, not long before a battery runs out.

• Advertisement

flaneur wrote: »
    No it isn't. Where are you getting that idea from!?

sarcasm I imagine

Really?

What? No, it hasn't even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Karsini wrote: »
    I was debating whether to go in or not, received no official confirmation (IT company in Dublin). I came in, as did everyone else, and now I'm probably stuck here because of the bus cancellations.

Go home now then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Lovely woman on RTE saying the Midlands are going to be worst affected. Eek!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Well I was wrong my office was just closed running for the last bus.

Is Google expecting its staff to come in does anyone know? What was their message to staff?

Major law firms have sent "office is open but work from home if you can." covering themselves where they can type messages. Only now are they starting to realise they made a mistake in not closing. Some others messages last night to say they were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Hats off to Joanna Donnelly ,the lady is not for swerving from her mantra that this is the real thing and I believe her . Great reporting on this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Coastal North County Dublin - marked increase in wind speeds and gusts in the past 30 mins. Nothing major or damaging but certainly picking up out there. 50M from the coastline.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Go home.

They will waffle and fap and then tell you to go home anyway in case they could be liable if they don't.

I actually drove in cos didn't want to be stranded (usually get the bus) but most people get the bus. Still no word and it's 9.26.

• Advertisement

I think this has been overrated. Maybe I'll change my mind later but Jesus the media hype is unreal !! Non stop . It's like we're all gonna die today .

If this wasn't an "ex hurricane " we would just get on with life as though it was another bad Autumn storm . Even the news from Kerry and Cork isn't bad at all , and the storm was meant to hit there 7 am ?
    One women from Tralee said the leaves had blown off her trees now . Mmmmm

"Overrated"..."Hype"...It's not a Summer blockbuster or Conor McGregor's next fight.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a fair few who seem to want to see outright carnage before taking this seriously. As if it's some sort of competition to win against the majority/expert opinion. No doubt, if the storm doesn't hit full strength and it passes us harmlessly, which it hopefully will, there will be a few who will be feeling smug later on for some reason.

It's outright bizarre. Even in something like this, we find a need for smug antagonism. The media and experts have been going out of their way to prepare us for the worst here because if the worst happens in this case, it will be life-changing for many and could be life-ending for a few. Just because they prepare us for the worst doesn't mean that if the worst doesn't happen they're all a bunch of spoofers.

The National Hurricane Centre in Miami tracked this thing to Ireland...I don't think that's happened before, and it might not happen again for decades to come. The weather experts on both sides of the Atlantic have warned us about the devastating potential of this storm.

But no, because some unqualified observers got up this morning and didn't see the tree-tops kissing the ground in Dublin yet, they have to run to Boards to declare that there's nothing to worry about and everyone else is a bit mad for taking it so seriously.

There may be only leaves blowing in Tralee but there are over 2,000 homes without power in Kerry/Cork and trees down in the region too. No matter what else happens, this still-young day has already affected a fair few people who wouldn't agree that it "isn't bad at all".

Advertisement