Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What? No, it hasn't even started.

Sorry but this isn't after hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

flaneur wrote: »
    No it isn't. Where are you getting that idea from!?

From the first three letters in username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is Google expecting its staff to come in does anyone know? What was their message to staff?

Presumably they expect employees to google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I don't want to be a backseat mod here, but could people please avoid making definitive statements about this like "the worst is over" when they clearly are basing this on absolutely no facts.

Certain people are taking some of these things seriously and heading out into the storm.

It's very important that we stick to scientific facts, observations, reliable models (see: technical thread) and real experiences.

Wandering off into la la land of speculation is really not helping anyone. After Hours >>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Everyone at work here in Tyrone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No, the worst of it is over.

Idiotic comment, it hasnt started yet

Ridiculous of companies not to make a call sooner and now put people under stress to get the last buses.

Our HR Dept sent an email at 8am telling people to go at 11am. What is the point in dragging people in for a couple of hours and leaving them stranded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I don't understand the people who have the attitude of "waiting to see what the official company line is re the storm" Just use your own head and go home NOW .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

From RTE radio - Insurance body has confirmed that car insurance cover will be valid if you drive today. Comprehensive cover will cover damage to your vehicle, however 3rd party would not.

Extreme risks taken by drivers could be deemed to be contributory negligence though.

Nice to dispel that scaremongering that's been going around

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

My place sent home me home with pay. Should have never had to go in in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

clawback07 wrote: »
    Hats off to Joanna Donnelly ,the lady is not for swerving from her mantra that this is the real thing and I believe her . Great reporting on this situation.

Have to say this is where Radio 1 is worth the licence fee.

Have just mentioned the comprehensive car insurance will cover you in event of accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Ridiculous of companies not to make a call sooner and now put people under stress to get the last buses.

Our HR Dept sent an email at 8am telling people to go at 11am. What is the point in dragging people in for a couple of hours and leaving them stranded?

Money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

spookwoman wrote: »
    84.5km gust in waterford

hi, where do i get to see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The Day Ireland Stood Still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Weird in Dublin, no breeze outside my apartment but can hear wind in the distance. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

shar01 wrote: »
    Have to say this is where Radio 1 is worth the licence fee.

Agree,, they're doing a great job this morning.

Had a report from Cork that people were out jogging this morning.. wtf? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I actually drove in cos didn't want to be stranded (usually get the bus) but most people get the bus. Still no word and it's 9.26.

Be nice and offer lifts to anyone on your route home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Sorry but this isn't after hours

If you've gone to met.ie you will see the times when it is due to get bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

bbc says ex hurricane ophelia, strong winds. And that is it, that is what they say, no trolling, no nothing. Just saying exactly what the bbc are saying

BBC doesn't normally give Republic of Ireland forecast? Try Met Eireann or Boards.ie

Based on what I'm seeing in Cork at the moment, I would stay indoors. There's a fairly high risk of something being picked up with the gusts around the city and I have heard it's more extreme further west and towards the coast.

Jogging is definitely not a good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Work in insurance and opened up my email there at 9 to 12 mobile home submissions :D

No hope of any insurance today

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

Here in Killarney, strong gusts but between them not bad at all. I’ve seen worse.
    Just drove into town and a few small branches and a lot of leaves down but that’s all. Bright calm(ish) spells between the heavy showers. I thought we should be getting worst of it now. Is this it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork airport gusting 57kts (105km/h) at 9:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

cyclops999 wrote: »
    With red zone declared nationwide will you're car insurance cover you in the event of an accident during storm if driving.

https://www.rte.ie/news/post/102631513/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

xraylady wrote: »
    Here in Killarney, strong gusts but between them not bad at all. I’ve seen worse.
    Just drove into town and a few small branches and a lot of leaves down but that’s all. Bright calm(ish) spells between the heavy showers. I thought we should be getting worst of it now. Is this it?

NO its not it, jesus would people pull their heads out their arses with the stupid questions, theres far worse to come

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Teresa Manion on Radio 1 now sounds like she's holed up in a box by the sound of the echo.

Understandable really after what she's experienced previously, poor crater.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    BBC doesn't normally give Republic of Ireland forecast? Try Met Eireann or Boards.ie

I wouldn't really pay any attention to what's being said on BBC at the moment as the storm is not going to be as severe in Britain and they're giving relatively scant coverage to Northern Ireland.

Sky News is reporting the Red Alert in the Republic, but they see this as part of their broadcast market.

xraylady wrote: »

Oh FOR FCUK SAKE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Slowly picking up here in Kildare, still fairly calm so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

Just saw my 90 y.o. neighbour out walking his dog! He's back to his house now. It's weird here looking out the front trees are really shaking in the wind, out back not half as bad.

Advertisement