Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ger8

Should the schools be closed on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ger8 wrote: »

Well just looking on the other thread, the great and good seem to think the Red warning should apply to a lot more counties, so I'm keeping my kids home on Monday anyway, official closure or otherwise. Just don't think it's worth the risk, some of those graphics of what's coming look pretty scary to me.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,187 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I thought it wasn't going to be windy until tonight/tomorrow, the little tykes playhouse is just after passing the window.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Well just looking on the other thread, the great and good seem to think the Red warning should apply to a lot more counties.

I'd expect updated red warning from Met Eireann to include a lot more counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When Doris hit the UK there were casualties from falling roofting etc, will this be similar for Galway/Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ger8 wrote: »

I know in Kerry several have made known to parents over the weekend they are closed monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

mets. forcast updated.
    note the extra info at bottom or page

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There was a TAF issued at 6am this morning, valid until 7am tomorrow morning.

Onset of winds should begin around 3am at most airports,

Shannon: 4am-7am, 060 degrees 25kts G 35kts
    Cork: 4am-7am, 070 degrees 20kts G 30kts
    Dublin: 5am-7am 050 degrees 15kts G 25kts
    Knock: 4am-7am 030 degrees 15kts G 25kts.

My current analysis on this is that despite the unusual wind direction, most of the morning rush should get away with little trouble. For the period before 7am, only airport I'd have concerns for is Shannon, which could face some turbulence in the area around it. However if winds are as forecast there's no crosswind component on RWY06 so it's possible disruption won't arrive until later.

Will update this at around 12:30pm at which time the forecast will be valid until 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I am currently out of the country ( luckily enjoying 27 degree heat in Spain) however I have two elderly parents at home in the path of the storm. Thankfully due to Boards and not RTE I have been able to warn them since Thursday.

I do have one question, currently awaiting new garage doors to be fitted as there is a 1.5 cm gap underneath and draft blows under. Is it advisable to seal it perhaps with towels / sheets etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JCX BXC wrote: »

My current analysis on this is that despite the unusual wind direction, most of the morning rush should get away with little trouble. For the period before 7am, only airport I'd have concerns for is Shannon, which could face some turbulence in the area around it. However if winds are as forecast there's no crosswind component on RWY06 so it's possible disruption won't arrive until later.

Will update this at around 12:30pm at which time the forecast will be valid until 1pm.

I was hoping Shannon might get away lightly, it doesn't look likely now though. Time to start tying things down I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Will there be a wheelie bin collection in the red warming zones on Monday or will they cancel it, do reckon?

There probably will be a bin collection but not in the normsl sense. ..!!

A lot of bins will need collecting and returning to their respective households!

On a more serious note, here in West Limerick bin collection day has been moved in the past by the company I use when the weather has been bad. This was communicated by text to the customers.

I guess its up to the individual companies to decide and notify their customers.

Empty bins can be filled with enough water to stop them blowing away. A litre of water weighs approx 1 kilo. Lying a wheelie bin on its side often won't help much to prevent it from being blown away if no other measures are taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

The seagulls are going nuts this morning.

Im off to buy a torch!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

the_syco wrote:
    I see two possible outcomes; Bin gets emptied, and the bin goes flying. Bin doesn't get emptied, rubbish goes everywhere.

Win win. It gets emptied either way

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Was looking at the Sept 1961 Irish Press report on Debbie, trees falling on cars and walls collapsing on people were the predominant causes of the 16 fatalities, hopefully people will heed the warnings and stay safe. The southwest escaped the worst that time it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The trees do concern me a lot, still very little leaf fall has taken place, they are essentially big sails. Falls and broken boughs could disrupt power and road links over a huge area. If you have any dead or dodgy trees or boughs on your property, today would be a good day to take some preventative action if you can do so safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

I am due to fly out tomorrow at 15:30 pm from Dublin airport. I wonder if i need to go to the airport at all . I dont want to be stuck there tbh .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭sjb25

Sandbagging in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Airport Comms unit will go public as soon as they know what their likely impact will be. Mid afternoon could well be the peak in Dublin, as of now Id say you arent going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RiceCrispy

With regards to red/ amber warnings what should we be really doing to prepare? have lamps etc in case of power cut but are we at a stage where windows should be boarded up to protect from debris?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

What are people thinking about going to work in cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭carrickbally

Nothing on Irish Met. Service news since yesterday on this storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Ireland am are about to talk about it on tv3, wonder will they take it seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can anyone update on preparation for North Kildare, it seems to be increasingly likely that we will be more in the firing line for something unusual for the area. That’s what concerns me, on the west coast when I lived there we were more used to these in a regular basis

I’ve got torches, candles etc. Tied down the garden and done all the clothes washing etc today in case of electricity outages.

Do I need to be getting water or food supplies or is that overkill?

Does anyone else get the impression that if you’re not on boards, you don’t really know what’s coming?

I just turned on rte news channel. As it flicked through to the weather tab, there was one sentence showing today’s weather would be mild. Then next was once sentence saying there would be an emergency meeting regarding hurricane today.

Is that it? What time today is the meeting? A bit of info perhaps telling people to store away items in the garden wouldn’t go amiss while we wait.

Now they’re showing fecking prime time! Knew there was a reason I never change the tv over from my sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Can anyone update on preparation for North Kildare, it seems to be increasingly likely that we will be more in the firing line for something unusual for the area. That’s what concerns me, on the west coast when I lived there we were more used to these in a regular basis

I’ve got torches, candles etc. Tied down the garden and done all the clothes washing etc today in case of electricity outages.

Do I need to be getting water or food supplies or is that overkill?

The models would suggest gesture the southeast may take the brunt of the wind , the west will take the brunt of the rain,

ECMWF has slightly less wind , GFS ,was a more SW peak wind , with ECMWF more S direction NEMS ( Uk) has more wind then either the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Well the Ireland Am report was underwhelming... they gave very little time to it, said it could be serious but if they thought that then they should have gave Ophelia more time rather than the Harry Weinstein story...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

CptMackey wrote: »
    What are people thinking about going to work in cork?

It’s probably a decision for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its moving at a snail pace, will it reach ireland at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm parking my car away from the roof and the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Irish ferries have information updated on their web site.

Rosslare Pembroke will not be operating on Monday after arrival from Pembroke at 06:46

There is a doubt over the Ulysses sailing from Dublin to Holyhead on Monday Evening, with all Monday Swift Fast Ferry already cancelled.

Stena have a note of possible disruption on the Dublin Holyhead route, and bizarrely, there is nothing about the Rosslare Fishguard service at present,

Cherborg Dublin is leaving a hour early today to try and get into Dublin before the worst of the weather arrives,

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement