Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

clawback07 wrote: »
    Hats off to Joanna Donnelly ,the lady is not for swerving from her mantra that this is the real thing and I believe her . Great reporting on this situation.

The new Evelyn Cusack.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

I'm a learner driver so took a cab to work this morning. The lad I work next to dropped me home when we were sent away. He lives out the country and I'm in the city so it was very nice of him to do so. Fair play to everyone dropping stranded workers home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭Comhrá

p 159 isn't loading. Boards must be overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

xraylady wrote: »
    Here in Killarney, strong gusts but between them not bad at all. I’ve seen worse.
    Just drove into town and a few small branches and a lot of leaves down but that’s all. Bright calm(ish) spells between the heavy showers. I thought we should be getting worst of it now. Is this it?

No its still to come .... next few hours it should pick up alot more

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

anna080 wrote: »
    How safe are we in our homes? Realistically? Like if we don't budge from the house we'll be grand ya?!

If you are worried, go to an internal area (like under the stairs, or in the bath) and cover yourself with blankets etc. This should only need to happen if you think the house is about to destruct. Otherwise stay away from windows. Make sure you have drinks, batteries, torches, fully charged phones etc.

But really safer in house than out walking, cycling etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the cars outside the door swaying side to side. yeah that's not scary at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dublin Bus update.. withdrawn from 10am until 7pm!! Will continue to monitor and take advice during the day they say.

Come on Theresa... Say it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/meteireann/status/919844165164392448

Really getting going now and will only get worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

VinLieger wrote: »
    NO its not it, jesus would people pull their heads out their arses with the stupid questions, theres far worse to come

Mod Note: Infraction for personal abuse. Tone it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

getting fairly windy here in Cobh , a gust of 58 knots in Roches Point .

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

mossie wrote: »
    Just saw my 90 y.o. neighbour out walking his dog! He's back to his house now. It's weird here looking out the front trees are really shaking in the wind, out back not half as bad.
    Saw an old man with a cane on bandon road as I was getting a lift home about 20 mins ago. Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

My son works for a major car dealership in Waterford. He had no communication from his boss, so he went in. Most of the staff are there. I hope he gets home today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sun is out in Waterford City, the gusts of 20 mins ago have dropped so it's deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Not too bad near listowel atm... Not sure if getting lucky or worse is yet to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Strong gusts on the West Wales coast but nothing like you guys are going to get --- stay safe and ride it out .
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

p 159 of the weather tech discussion thread isnt loading

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Falcon L wrote: »
    My son works for a major car dealership in Waterford. He had no communication from his boss, so he went in. Most of the staff are there. I hope he gets home today.

I have heard that car sales go through the roof during hurricanes

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

From dead calm to winds picking up glencullen dublin mountains have a feeling going to be battered today

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Slowly picking up here in Limerick. Wind speed isn't too strong yet, but the gusts are getting bad, blowing the trees around, and causing some movement in the street lights. There were some blue patches in the sky up until a few minutes ago. Light drizzle out there as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

LaVail wrote: »
    Not too bad near listowel atm... Not sure if getting lucky or worse is yet to come?

The latter

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On a hill exposed to the west, I am concerned for later as the strongest winds will be from a westerly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A bit breezy in Letterkenny but its still very dark. Staff here have been told to go home at Lunchtime which I think is the right call....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod note

This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling and flaming

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

up to 88.9km in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ennis is breezy at the moment. There's still a lot of bins out and flower pots and other shrapnel that will cause damage later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

RobertKK wrote: »
    On a hill exposed to the west, I am concerned for later as the strongest winds will be from a westerly direction.
    It's a cyclone. It'll be coming from all directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My sister went into work (Leopardstown) to find out that everyone from the northside or outside of Dublin was told to stay at home. She's not best pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

p 159 of the weather tech discussion thread isnt loading

Because the mods are move posts that are not part of the technical discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

xraylady wrote: »
    Here in Killarney, strong gusts but between them not bad at all. I’ve seen worse.
    Just drove into town and a few small branches and a lot of leaves down but that’s all. Bright calm(ish) spells between the heavy showers. I thought we should be getting worst of it now. Is this it?
    The short answer... NO!

Advertisement