Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wind making a bit of noise around us here in North County Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Its officially an Ex-Hurricane now, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wind just starting to pick up here in Bray. Some people still have their bins out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

salthill galway shut off from 11am ,car owners told get there cars out of the notorious car parks (notorious for severe flooding)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Karsini wrote: »
    I was debating whether to go in or not, received no official confirmation (IT company in Dublin). I came in, as did everyone else, and now I'm probably stuck here because of the bus cancellations.

This is what happened with my son. He is there at the moment but has assured me he is going to leave around 10. He will have to get a taxi or something though. :mad:

It feels really weird to be sitting in Asia worrying about my family and friends at home. I kinda wish I was there coz I think if I was actually watching the weather in real life it would maybe be less stressful. My mind is focussed on the worst case scenarios and am a nervous wreck.

Hope you all are safe and well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

A bit breezy in Letterkenny but its still very dark. Staff here have been told to go home at Lunchtime which I think is the right call....

Pr*m*r*ca?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

I would not advise that. That's totally exposed.

Ya I'm going to leave at 11 before things get very bad. Its still like a normal day here at the minute weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The soon this storm comes and goes the better

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

snowflaker wrote: »

Yes....an extratropical storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Dark skies and barometer falling very rapidly in Galway city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Strong wind where I'm at in Waterford, very worried for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Semena Mertvykh

Ex-hurricane with hurricane force winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Over 300 people called in today to work in a film Studio in Ashford, Wicklow. Winds drastically picking up. A risk assessment sent around warning us not to leave the building. Why bring us in to work in the first place !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My sister went into work (Leopardstown) to find out that everyone from the northside or outside of Dublin was told to stay at home. She's not best pleased.

Can she not think for herself? It's perfectly obvious to put safety first. Tell her to go home immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yes, but Met Eireann have specifically said "Don't get hung up on terminology, this is coming at us with all its energy intact."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the same sense as ex-FF. Nothing changes. Still mad and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nothing exceptional in cobh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

youtube! wrote: »
    Can she not think for herself? It's perfectly obvious to put safety first. Tell her to go home immediately.

I did. She's just pissed off at the very arbitrary decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

14murphy wrote: »
    Over 300 people called in today to work in a film Studio in Ashford, Wicklow. Winds drastically picking up. A risk assessment sent around warning us not to leave the building. Why bring us in to work in the first place !!

You could make a disaster movie about bad management. Something starring Nicholas Cage and Tara Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Witchie wrote: »
    This is what happened with my son. He is there at the moment but has assured me he is going to leave around 10. He will have to get a taxi or something though. :mad:

It feels really weird to be sitting in Asia worrying about my family and friends at home. I kinda wish I was there coz I think if I was actually watching the weather in real life it would maybe be less stressful. My mind is focussed on the worst case scenarios and am a nervous wreck.
    He'll be fine, he has plenty of time to get home. ;)

I'm well south of there and while it's pretty gusty, it's not at unsafe levels yet by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

She's a beauty

430754.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

youtube! wrote: »

One of the lads where I work made the call not to come in, around 700am. Management have since been in touch with everyone to tell us all to come in as normal. What on earth do you do in that situation? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Alun wrote: »
    Wind just starting to pick up here in Bray. Some people still have their bins out :eek:

yeah I've noticed a definite winding up of the wind here in the last 30 minutes (Portmarnock) - wind is whistling now

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

For people wondering "is this it" or "the worst is over". The full force of it hasn't hit Ireland yet..

FRy3onX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Witchie wrote: »
    After this is over we should compile a list of every company that made their staff go to work, or told them to go home only after they arrived for work - because these are companies I wouldn't want to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Winds & seas have increased quite a bit here in Rush, NCD in the last half an hour or so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Went in to work to collect the laptop. Stopped by Tesco on way home and stocked up for the day, place was mobbed. Based in South Dublin so not expecting anything for a while but glad to be indoors and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Claim on Reddit that Luas to be curtailed from 10 a.m., ceasing at 12 noon.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/76p736/just_overheard_announcement_at_the_luas_drivers/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Guys, we have a couple of polytunnels, what should I do to protect them? Any advice

I'm just keeping the doors of mine closed ... And praying..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Working in cork city and opted not to go in today. Just spoke to a colleague who confirmed out of our team of 25, only myself and 3 others didn't come in. The whole rest of the team is there.
    I can't believe it. Definitely in for a bollocking tomorrow now. We must be the only place in Cork open.

Advertisement