Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Still calm enough in north Wicklow with periodic gusts.

One thing I thought of when I woke up...theres something like 80 cranes on the Dublin skyline. How do they ensure the safety of cranes at times like this? Can they weight them down or something? Probably a stupid question but was curious and thought someone here might know?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

youtube! wrote: »
    Can she not think for herself? It's perfectly obvious to put safety first. Tell her to go home immediately.

It's really not that easy in work situations. People expect you in work.

Conditions were perfectly fine in Dublin today.

I am in work and I hope common sense prevails and we're sent home early but it's not as easy to simply say I'm not going in as many here advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

spurious wrote: »
    In the same sense as ex-FF. Nothing changes. Still mad and dangerous.

Sorry, what does FF stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

wind is picking up in Athy now.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park is closed today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

hmmm wrote: »
    After this is over we should compile a list of every company that made their staff go to work, or told them to go home only after they arrived for work - because these are companies I wouldn't want to work for.

Start a thread in Work & Jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

snowflaker wrote: »
    Its officially an Ex-Hurricane now, yes?

AND if it’s anything like my ex girlfriend it will cause some destruction 🙈

Phone line gone. Mobile for now

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Many people on here are calling all the advance warning hype and overrated. well check this out as in 1987 the UK Met office dismissed a hurricane warning and it was the worst storm in memory in the UK.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/866319/great-storm-1987-30-years-since-night-that-claimed-18-lives

Weather forecasting is not an exact science but it is way better now than in 1987. So let the naysayers beware, its better to play safe than have to spend a day later in the week comforting a family where tragedy might strike because someone told them that all the fuss was just Hype!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Working in cork city and opted not to go in today. Just spoke to a colleague who confirmed out of our team of 25, only myself and 3 others didn't come in. The whole rest of the team is there.
    I can't believe it. Definitely in for a bollocking tomorrow now. We must be the only place in Cork open.

This is a serious storm. Worst in over 50 years. The managers are gob****es for calling people in.

The management should be ashamed of themselves. You've done nothing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

murpho999 wrote: »
    I am in work and I hope common sense prevails and we're sent home early but it's not as easy to simply say I'm not going in as many here advise.
    Absolutely right - this was a management decision to make and many of them have fluffed it badly - or in some cases they have shown callous disregard for their employees. It was obvious by yesterday that non essential staff should have been told not to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

Witchie wrote: »
    This is what happened with my son. He is there at the moment but has assured me he is going to leave around 10. He will have to get a taxi or something though. :mad:

It feels really weird to be sitting in Asia worrying about my family and friends at home. I kinda wish I was there coz I think if I was actually watching the weather in real life it would maybe be less stressful. My mind is focussed on the worst case scenarios and am a nervous wreck.

Hope you all are safe and well.
    Leaving at 10 should be OK. I'm speaking for what i'm seeing in cork. I've yet to see anything major like tiles flying but it is picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Looking at marinetraffic.com and there seems to be quite a few boats and trawlers in the path of the storm... shouldn't they have taken shelter?! Would not fancy being out in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Working in cork city and opted not to go in today. Just spoke to a colleague who confirmed out of our team of 25, only myself and 3 others didn't come in. The whole rest of the team is there.
    I can't believe it. Definitely in for a bollocking tomorrow now. We must be the only place in Cork open.

They cant really give you a bollocking because theres been red alerts all day yesterday for today. Youll be ok. All hyped if you ask me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gidea wrote: »
    For people wondering "is this it" or "the worst is over". The full force of it hasn't hit Ireland yet..

FRy3onX.jpg

it's huge... that tail looks vicious

where are you getting that feed from?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sorry, what does FF stand for?
    I suspect Fianna Fail .... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

One of the lads where I work made the call not to come in, around 700am. Management have since been in touch with everyone to tell us all to come in as normal. What on earth do you do in that situation? :confused:

You think for yourself and don't put your life in the hands of greedy bosses, that's what you do in that situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust 89km/h at my station in Waterford City

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Just arrived into work and they send around this...

"ALERT: Weather & Travel disruptions: We are asking all Dublin teams to stay at home today as a result of the weather. Please turn around if safe to do so. If you already in the office your team lead will advise on next steps. The building will stay open in case you are here and would like to stay.

Employees are being sent home and the site will be non-operational today."

They hadn't initially wanted to take that step but as some folks would be finishing work at 4pm they didn't want to put them in harms way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Non event here in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I was looking at magicseaweed its way off with its predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

lawred2 wrote: »

SAT24

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Gael23 wrote: »

It isn't fully here yet. Read a few posts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Anybody else find it warm. I'm going around then house roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

lawred2 wrote: »

From here:

https://en.sat24.com/en

Just point out to management that your life is more important and that you were heeding the advice of the government which overrules that of your management!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

flazio wrote: »
    It's a cyclone. It'll be coming from all directions.

Not exactly....if you can track the centre of the depression, you'll get a good idea where the winds will be coming from....in my case it's started off easterly and has begun to move around to a south easterly. I'd expect it to be south westerly this afternoon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Gael23 wrote: »

Yea probably because it hasn't properly hit Limerick yet, still off the coast of Cork.

Come back in 5 hours and let us know how it worked out for you.

Advertisement