Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

spookwoman wrote: »

literally just hours away and we don't know what to expect but i prepared the best way i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gael23 wrote: »
    Non event here in Limerick

you do know that it still hasn't really reached yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Gusts picking up here in Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

hmmm wrote: »
    After this is over we should compile a list of every company that made their staff go to work, or told them to go home only after they arrived for work - because these are companies I wouldn't want to work for.

Let just hope no one is kill over the stupidity of these companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very calm outside. Clouds are really moving though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm having the Inch beach webcam open and just watchen 2 people going for a chill beach walk there.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Working in cork city and opted not to go in today. Just spoke to a colleague who confirmed out of our team of 25, only myself and 3 others didn't come in. The whole rest of the team is there.
    I can't believe it. Definitely in for a bollocking tomorrow now. We must be the only place in Cork open.

Met eireann said at 7 am not to travel in Cork and Kerry. You are safer at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

taylor3 wrote: »
    Anybody else find it warm. I'm going around then house roasting.

I'm finding it very warm to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It was 15 C here in the middle of the night, in mid October! :)

That was pretty much to be expected tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

West clare nicest day in weeks so far non event here.
    Overstated as usual glad I came into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Working in cork city and opted not to go in today. Just spoke to a colleague who confirmed out of our team of 25, only myself and 3 others didn't come in. The whole rest of the team is there.
    I can't believe it. Definitely in for a bollocking tomorrow now. We must be the only place in Cork open.
    You were right not to go in. Wish I bloody hadn't as I was sent home. The majority of people arrived in. Your life is more important so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I found last night very warm and close...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

As a long time lurker in the weather forum, big thanks to all who have contributed over the last few days. Wife thought I was mad getting everything in from the garden until she saw the 9 o'clock news. Was pleased to get an email from my Dublin based employer last night telling us not to travel to the office and to work from home if we can as given how calm it was at rush hour this morning think most would have gone in.

Wind starting to pick up in Wicklow in the last 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Tree down in my park...hope we don't lose too many of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Sun is out, South Dublin, light breeze, it's nice.

Not calling it until later on, we will see then.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

A friend is livestreaming his local area. He was looking around the place and to his right there was a labrador taking a sh1t. Hilarious!

Just back from the beach (dont worry it was perfectly safe-Id never put myself, dogs or anyone else in danger) and it is fairly wild there.
    Very strong winds. Sea looks very rough but no storm surge or high waves as yet.
    It was actually hard to breathe at times but extremely mild still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Still sitting in work at the minute in North Dublin. Alreeady said I'll take a half day if they're not gonna send us home cos I've an hours commute back up to the border.

The company above us are all leaving at lunch and our boss is taking the piss saying "What's the matter with them, it's just gonna be a bit of strong winds" !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

jcd5971 wrote: »

It hasn't hit clare yet, have fun getting home though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So the strongest gust recorded so far has been 92 mph off the South Coast, is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

hmmm wrote: »
    After this is over we should compile a list of every company that made their staff go to work, or told them to go home only after they arrived for work - because these are companies I wouldn't want to work for.

That's a huge number of companies off your list as almost all are open.

Remember the storm is about 3 hours long, by going home time it will ahve abated in the southern half of the country.

We have staff in, using it as a training day and sending them home before 1pm and they'll be paid for the full day.

Places that are closed will porbably deduct the day from holidays or for those on hourly contracts they won't be paid. Many retailers are closing becasue it suits their bottom line, not because they are concerned about staff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tralee :Barometer 983 hPa Falling Rapidly
    Wind 10 min avg 40 km/h , Gust 68 km/h
    Rain 2.2mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

give it about 3-4 hours, and it will be an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

At work so no reports, but wind was ENE 17 knots when I left this morning with pressure at 994.3 mb and falling rapidly. Sunny, almost continental looking sky with some broken ragged looking cloud.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Semena Mertvykh

Can't post links yet, but Ventusky's a belter of a website for tracking weather, suggest it to anybody who thinks it's a non-event/they've seen the worst of it.

Getting windier in Cork City now and we won't even catch the strongest gusts until around midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I genuinely hope it stays that way for you! :)

If it does, great, no harm done ...

... and if it had gone the other way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's just like a normal windy day in cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Very quiet here in Dublin City, hardly a breeze & very balmy. Tis lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

snowflaker wrote: »
    Gusts picking up here in Offaly

Laois too

Advertisement