Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

piuswal wrote: »
    BoatMad wrote: »
    Personally having seen galvanised sheeting fly across the car in a storm , I'd be very careful

Yes, but to make a statement of "deaths expected" in the case of flying slates is alarmist

a pessimist is never disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Places that are closed will porbably deduct the day from holidays or for those on hourly contracts they won't be paid. Many retailers are closing becasue it suits their bottom line, not because they are concerned about staff.

I heard a legal guy (presume Employment Law) stating that to force Annual Leave the employer must giver at least 24 hours notice. Which I very much doubt has been the case.

snowflaker wrote: »
    Gusts picking up here in Offaly

Picking up here in Tipp too. Some trees swaying dangerously. Menfolk home from college and work.

Stay safe, folks. Look out for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

So the strongest gust recorded so far has been 92 mph off the South Coast, is that right?

Gust of 58kts in Roches point which is 107kph

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

BTW useful app to have on your phone is the esb powercheck app, you can check if the power outage has been reported in.

looks like power outages accross the whole SW At the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Slattsy wrote: »
    Very quiet here in Dublin City, hardly a breeze & very balmy. Tis lovely.

Calm before the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Just picking up here in Ennis. Wind and rain..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BTW useful app to have on your phone is the esb powercheck app, you can check if the power outage has been reported in.

looks like power outages accross the whole SW At the moment

ESB asking people not to phone in faults today BTW. They will be aware of them. They want to keep lines for emergencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

hmmm wrote: »
    After this is over we should compile a list of every company that made their staff go to work, or told them to go home only after they arrived for work - because these are companies I wouldn't want to work for.

He had no contact from the company, had no way of getting touch with them unless he went in. He had to take 2 buses to get there. While he was waiting on the 2nd bus I almost convinced him to just go home but he wanted to do some work that needed doing today so he went on and was glad as everyone showed up.

Then they were told they could go home when they wanted. He said he was going to clear what he needed to do and go home.

I think it is ridiculous that the management don't have a system of sending texts/email/whatsapp etc to let them know and that he had to go in to be told he could go home.

Am fuming. I told him if his boss doesn't let him go home that I am going to sue his ass for my stress. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

jcd5971 wrote: »
    West clare nicest day in weeks so far non event here.
    Overstated as usual glad I came into work.

This post is like somebody complaining that a party is boring when they arrived an hour before it was supposed to start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm off to get some beer before everywhere closes. Gonna ride this out in style..

You can't purchase alcohol until 11am:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seems like it drifted to the west so we should be OK in the east.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

8-10 wrote: »
    Still calm enough in north Wicklow with periodic gusts.

One thing I thought of when I woke up...theres something like 80 cranes on the Dublin skyline. How do they ensure the safety of cranes at times like this? Can they weight them down or something? Probably a stupid question but was curious and thought someone here might know?
    I'm no expert but during Irma the news reports explained that the crane's boom (long arm) swing around allowing for strong winds, some others were bolted onto the buildings but they did say to stay clear of cranes as these can break and this has happened in storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Car sprinkled with dust this morning (Kilkenny)...?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Luas services terminated now.

https://www.luas.ie/travel-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Lombardstown North Co. Cork
    978 hPa, gusting from the south (my wind readings are unfortunately unreliable and significantly underreading, so won't post them).

Picking up significantly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

VinLieger wrote: »
    It hasn't hit clare yet, have fun getting home though

Yes. This is it. Well, my relatives are in West Clare. It's just now starting to get quite strong again. It calmed for about forty minutes. It's very deceptive when it does that.

It's been made very clear that it hasn't fully landed in Ireland yet, so of course West Clare isn't getting much of it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Alun wrote: »
    Wind just starting to pick up here in Bray. Some people still have their bins out :eek:

At my apartment building in Dublin, people still have all sorts of things left on their balconies - BBQs, chairs etc.! :eek:

Wind is picking up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Picking up in south Dublin now. Gone from calm to sporadic gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Remember the storm is about 3 hours long, by going home time it will ahve abated in the southern half of the country.
    It's a longer event than that. Trees are already down in parts of the South West, public transport is being curtailed - many employees had to take what could potentially have been a risky trip into work, and many more will find it difficult to get home.

There will be little work done today in the typical office or retailer. It was a waste asking staff to turn up.

This will be a judge of employers, particularly for people like myself who work in I.T. and have plenty of choice as to where we work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Any reports so far of what its like once it has hit land ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Really picked up in Naas now with a gust of 70KPH

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wind is fairly picking up in Galway now. Gone awful dark too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Can't post links yet, but Ventusky's a belter of a website for tracking weather, suggest it to anybody who thinks it's a non-event/they've seen the worst of it.

Getting windier in Cork City now and we won't even catch the strongest gusts until around midday.

Here you go. https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.3;-6.2;4&l=temperature&t=20171017/08

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sight808 wrote: »
    Luas services terminated now.

https://www.luas.ie/travel-updates/

I'm surprised they ran at all given the weather warnings. Plenty of commuters thought it was OK to travel into the city for work given the transport services were running and now many of them are stuck.

Luckily a lot of employers sent workers home immediately after they landed in as they suspected transport services would be terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Noticeable pick up in breeeze in Ranelagh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

road_high wrote: »
    Car sprinkled with dust this morning (Kilkenny)...?

A lot of Sahara dust travelling up with the Storm I believe.

Advertisement