Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Any reports so far of what its like once it has hit land ?

Hasn't hit land yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

road_high wrote: »
    Car sprinkled with dust this morning (Kilkenny)...?
    She picked up some Saharan dust on the way, and kindly donated it to us! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Hubsie is coming home from work shortly. Some hurricane afternoon delight on the cards. :D:P:pac:;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,802 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cranes beside me in south Dublin are starting to blow a bit in the wind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Sent home from work. Not to sit back and relax for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Any reports so far of what its like once it has hit land ?

Im in West Cork and I don't think I havewas ever seen srronger windsup, and I domt know if iy has fully reached us. Electricity gone

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Drove from west cork to cork city this morning to send people home that I couldn't reach by phone or email.
    Drove back home again around 8:30.
    Some debris on road but nothing serious, some old trees have fallen over alright.
    Bit windy now but to be honest can't see it currently being much worse than a typical winter storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Claim on Reddit that Luas to be curtailed from 10 a.m., ceasing at 12 noon.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/76p736/just_overheard_announcement_at_the_luas_drivers/

It's true rte are reporting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

jcd5971 wrote: »
    West clare nicest day in weeks so far non event here.
    Overstated as usual glad I came into work.

Fair play, ya trooper ya.

Starting to get gusty in Athlone, just measured one at 50kmh, but average is still below 20kmh.
    pressure is still up at 997mb .

Nothing dramatic to report..... YET!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Hasn't hit land yet.

oh ok, thought was due in cork at around 9am or so, but obviously not happened yet so

Just trying to see what we are actually in store for !

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

What to watch when Ireland AM is over in 15 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

People just passed on their horses here with 2 kids, some people are truly mental.

Anyway it's quite gusty, we're on a high altitude here in the the very southwestern backbutt of Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

LUAS Services to cease from 12 noon

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I just saw a man walk past my house in a suit looking really pissed off. It has really calmed here in Galway. I'm assuming he was called into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Lombardstown, North Co. Cork

978 barometric pressure, gusting from mainly from the south / south east, winds up and down, so far like a strong storm but nothing we haven't had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    We have staff in, using it as a training day and sending them home before 1pm and they'll be paid for the full day.

Places that are closed will porbably deduct the day from holidays or for those on hourly contracts they won't be paid. Many retailers are closing becasue it suits their bottom line, not because they are concerned about staff.

I take it your company is one of those that doesnt pay any heed to Red Weather warnings. Used as a training day! I hope they can get home at 1pm as most public services will be off. Arent yis just great second guessing what meteorologists are saying. Eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Can't post links yet, but Ventusky's a belter of a website for tracking weather, suggest it to anybody who thinks it's a non-event/they've seen the worst of it.

Getting windier in Cork City now and we won't even catch the strongest gusts until around midday.

Where are you getting that form, I'm finding it hard to get a pin down of times for Cork city. I know its landed and we are just getting the front winds and it will get much worst. The tech posters might be able to give a pin down on times and I also thought I heard it will worse again later today in Cork, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Damn it. You're right..

It can be bought at 10.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

oh ok, thought was due in cork at around 9am or so, but obviously not happened yet so

Just trying to see what we are actually in store for !

It's very close though:

https://en.sat24.com/en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

murpho999 wrote: »
    youtube! wrote: »
    Can she not think for herself? It's perfectly obvious to put safety first. Tell her to go home immediately.

It's really not that easy in work situations. People expect you in work.

Conditions were perfectly fine in Dublin today.

I am in work and I hope common sense prevails and we're sent home early but it's not as easy to simply say I'm not going in as many here advise.

these things are easier than people make them, but (touch wood it won't) if the worst happens you can blame your employer and not yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Damn it. You're right..

He's not :p

Off licences open at 10:30

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nothing dramatic to report..... YET!
    Dramatic in Athlone, dolan? Sheesh ... you'll be lucky! ;):D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

d.pop wrote: »
    Drove from west cork to cork city this morning to send people home that I couldn't reach by phone or email.
    Drove back home again around 8:30.
    Some debris on road but nothing serious, some old trees have fallen over alright.
    Bit windy now but to be honest can't see it currently being much worse than a typical winter storm.

Call your people back in so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Beautiful sunshine in South KK. Very gusty, but nothing outrageous yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Is it behind schedule? (yes, I know these things can’t be “scheduled” per se) It hasn’t made landfall yet but was expected at around 9 this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

flazio wrote: »
    Be nice and offer lifts to anyone on your route home.

Home and colleague dropped home too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wind starting to pick up here in Dalkey/Killiney, coming in from the SSE so not much shelter from the Wicklow mountains at this stage. Dun Laoghaire harbour is reporting an impressive 18C ( http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/ ), very mild. Expecting a 120 kmh gust or two later on close to the coast, possibly more depending on low pressure track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

R.F. wrote: »
    What to watch when Ireland AM is over in 15 mins?

RTÉ news special on rte1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

The Winchester is closed so cant have a pint there and wait for all of this to blow over. I say I'm going to take a nap through this one. Best of luck to everyone. Stay safe.

Advertisement