Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

clawback07 wrote: »
    Hats off to Joanna Donnelly ,the lady is not for swerving from her mantra that this is the real thing and I believe her . Great reporting on this situation.

If it's not windy now it will be later and of it's windy it will get worse!!! She's what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

will it be safe to drive at 4pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Some really strong gusts in Cork city at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

d.pop wrote: »
    Drove from west cork to cork city this morning to send people home that I couldn't reach by phone or email.
    Drove back home again around 8:30.
    Some debris on road but nothing serious, some old trees have fallen over alright.
    Bit windy now but to be honest can't see it currently being much worse than a typical winter storm.

THIS IS NOT A TYPICAL WINTER STORM

Why are people still trying to convince themselves this won't be too bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

LUAS shutting down from 10; all stopped by 12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I'm noticing the gusts in Cork City seem to be morphing into a much more sustained wind now. The frequency of gusting has increased quite a bit, just in the last few mins (10:18)

bilbot79 wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

After bringing people in, my joke of a company has sent people home now. This is Cork city btw, so right as it's getting really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

R.F. wrote: »
    What to watch when Ireland AM is over in 15 mins?

No point fretting about it. RTE have extended coverage on Radio 1 and on RTE News Now.

If I were you, Id chill a beer, put on Netflix or a couple of old DVDs and let it blow over.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Monaghan is very eerie at the moment. Very dark with light drizzle. No wind atm. Roads are dead. Meant to be hitting us bad after lunch. Boss told us to close up house at 11am.

There's a storm coming Mr Wayne....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Some strong gusts just there in Rathfarnham, was very calm up till now.

Mallow alternating between calm and dull, dazzling sun, and horizontal rain at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

bilbot79 wrote: »

Drive what? Bike, car, 737? .... and where? It’s been said time and time again don’t drive unless it’s essential

If it is then you have to drive and doesn’t make a difference what our opinion is

You and only you know when you look out the window in 6 hours from now when a lot has changed, and make a decision on what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

d'Oracle wrote: »
    LUAS shutting down from 10

Great for the many thousands of people shipped into town this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

South tipp starting to get some very strong gusts, few trees look like they are about to take flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

169kmh Gust at Fastnet Lighthouse holy sh1t!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I thought the post service was suspended today? Our poor postman is out and about, in an understandable rush.

In south Roscommon, getting gusty now, and no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

jcd5971 wrote: »
    West clare nicest day in weeks so far non event here.
    Overstated as usual glad I came into work.

Whoo hoo. Every thread needs a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Semena Mertvykh

Aimsir wrote: »
    Where are you getting that form, I'm finding it hard to get a pin down of times for Cork city. I know its landed and we are just getting the front winds and it will get much worst. The tech posters might be able to give a pin down on times and I also thought I heard it will worse again later today in Cork, is that correct?

Just basing it off the tracker and scrolling forward afew hours. It was quite accurate for tracking Irma & Maria.

Met Eireann have just tweeted a gif of the forecast track and it's pretty consistant with the one on Ventusky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Picking up here in West Clare, no damage currently, although can hear distant house alarms. Some weird sunshine shining on the Shannon.

Reports that Clare will get the brunt later, will bring you updates if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Whoooosh. South East coast in for a battering this afternoon.

Dramatic in Athlone, dolan? Sheesh ... you'll be lucky! ;):D
    Yeah, I'm not expecting too much here, a few trees and the odd power cut will probably be the worst of it as we're quite well sheltered.

Still a few more hours before it passes to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Seems like it drifted to the west so we should be OK in the east.

Please say you forgot to put a smiley at the end of that post.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

floorpie wrote: »
    Great for the many thousands of people shipped into town this morning.

I'm glad I wasn't among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sitting in my car here overlooking rosslare harbour I'm about 500m from the sea and it's getting gusty, Another 2 or 3 hours for peak here so might head home and come back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

titan18 wrote: »
    After bringing people in, my joke of a company has sent people home now. This is Cork city btw, so right as it's getting really bad

Company I work in Cork for has just informed staff who are in the office NOT to leave for safety reasons as worst starts now. If you are in stay in. Fair enough I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

titan18 wrote: »

This sounds like negligent behavior on their part, both last night and today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Like many people I'm waiting & watching the max gusts from Cork/Kerry before I extrapolate for my county.
    The 10am reports show 120kph for Roches & Sherkin.
    Looks as if it's living up to it's billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I'm in work now, everybody pissed off.

We are only allowed go home if the power goes.

So basically we are here now cause if it gets to the stage where the power goes then surely the rural roads we all travel on will be goosed and too bad to travel.

In Midlands with no customers in sight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Leo going to address the country. Bit late.

Advertisement