Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2 kite surfers missing/in trouble in Dundalk Bay. R116 en route!!

How could you go out in these conditions!

Cause who'd want to miss out on those killer waves dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Absolute f-ing idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Was starting a new job today and was sent home when I went. The roads were eerily quiet.

In South Tipperary, near Clonmel and the wind is starting to pick up a bit now.

This feels so surreal watching the news at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Wind really picking up in East Cork now - we're on little hill only 80m high and windows facing south have just flexed during 2 very strong gusts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

total non event on Dingle peninsula......so far

As Expected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

km79 wrote: »
    Waiting till half of Munster is without power before going on TV????? Clown

That's Covenys territory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

VinLieger wrote:
    It hasn't hit clare yet, have fun getting home though

Sure its downgraded and everything already, pure overated guff from weather nerds as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

wtf? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

2 fcukin gob****es...should be left where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Coveney stumbling badly on the questions of if the Government has taken control of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trampoline on the loose in a garden behind us. Scary stuff now. East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's no point posting in this thread saying wind is picking up if you don't give your location.

GIVE YOUR LOCATION WHEN GIVING A WEATHER UPDATE

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

SeaFields wrote: »
    Absolute f-ing idiots.

and now theres a helicopter crew as well as a volunteer lifeboat crew out assisting/looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

"People have to get on with their lives" according to Simon Coveney on RTE Radio. Refuses to concede that the government should have recommended the closure of private businesses. Such inept leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

It wouldnt be Ireland unless a few people had a good old moan about how the Govt never do enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    So you expect Leo to know more about which services should run than the actual organisations themselves? It’s Not North Korea we’re living in.

Well essential services during a storm event by the vast majority are considered to be Gardai - Ambulance - Hospitals - Army Support etc. etc.

Everything non-essential should not operate.

UsBus wrote: »
    Pathetic, he should have gone on the 9.00 o'clock news last night before people had to travel....
    But sure you wouldn't expect anything else from Paddy Ireland......

Why? Do you think he's more expert than the likes of Met Eireann and all other emergency services? People looking for non issues to feed their faux outrage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Might be harsh but leave them there - people were warned, putting R116 in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Like, what do people expect him to say?
    The last person I need to hear from while preparing for an event like this is the Taoiseach.

And tomorrow, when there is actual damage iin places around the country, who do I want to hear from? Not the Taoiseach.

You expect the leader of the country to address the nation and provide clarity to everyone on whether they should travel to work. Leaving it up to people to decide how necessary their journey is is a copout...Employers do not want to let people off affecting their business and employees do not want to skive off work if it could have consequences for their jobs...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

and now theres a helicopter crew as well as a volunteer lifeboat crew out assisting/looking for them.

Fair play to the emergency services and I hope the 2 idiots are found safely.. but they should then absolutely be charged with reckless endangerment or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Dcully wrote: »
    Call your people back in so :P

Thanks for that constructive feedback....
    People are looking for updates, thought it might be of interest what the situation Is like in west cork.
    I wouldn't be venturing out but I was expecting much worse to be honest based on the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Sure its downgraded and everything already, pure overated guff from weather nerds as usual

you sound like a nice guy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Leo missed his shot. Its times like this when a difficult decision needs to be made that you need somebody strong who is willing to make a call and stick with the decision. Leo is afraid to stick his neck out thats obvious now.

He should of ordered all non essential services and private businesses to stay closed and he should of done it yesterday evening. Apple in Cork last night sent a mass text not to come in. Thats about 3500 - 4000 people on one site - that supports Apples global operations and they had the foresight to make the call.

I thought Enda was gutless, but this was pathetic. (BTW i am a Fine Gael supporter )

In fairness he cant just order companies to stay closed, hes not Chairman Mao. I'd imagine if he did then they'd be open for a company claiming for losses.

I'm in a startup in Kiltimagh, boss text round yesterday saying it was a normal day. Then again this morning saying it was over hyped and we would miss the worst but if people wanted to stay at home they could take a days holiday. I'm raging, have told the lads working directly for me to leave at 11 and. Row with the boss coming up later in the week

kilns wrote: »
    It wouldnt be Ireland unless a few people had a good old moan about how the Govt never do enough

Not sure how they function on a daily basis without the Govt holding their hands...pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

TheTorment wrote: »
    No it isnt safe.

If you do light it and the power goes....close all vents and draughts to it.

DO NOT POUR WATER ON IT

If gets very bad extinguish with a bucket of sand.

I thought as much. It's a stove and its already lit. I'm up north west so don't expect any power outages until later. If it happens ill open the door and let ir die out.. see how it goes.
    Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

Wind really taking off in cork city now. Some ferocious gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Depends where in Cork you are. Baltimore currently 85km/h, city only 40km/h.

Little Island here and gusts are severe now . ramped up alot in the last 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

marvin80 wrote: »
    putting R116 in danger.

and Clogher Head volunteer lifeboat crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 boa2507

do you have a link to a website to track the storm live on a map, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very strong winds down here atm, any ideas when the worse will pass cork?

Advertisement