Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The only thing I seen about this was yesterday on RTÉ was the fact there's no buses Monday. Was watching the coverage on CNN. I'm heading out to move all the loose stuff from around the yard because there's alot. Going to be interesting going to work tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

hoody wrote: »
    According to their Twitter timeline, Met Eireann are taking part in a National Emergency meeting at 10.30, imagine there will be a press conference or update after that with warning levels to be updated too.

Hope all stay safe and the damage / impact is minimal. Mondays are hard enough as it is!

Aye
    The outcome of that should be known for the main lunchtime news eg rte’s news at one on radio one,the one pm news and the farming forecast which a lot of people will watch
    New reds might not happen until tonight or even tomorrow morning but to areas already mentioned as being in for damaging winds eg most of Munster and south Leinster if you understand me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Anyone have any idea yet what we should expect for Tuesday? I know Ophelia should be well past but how long after should we be expecting to feel the effects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Preparations to protect lives and property should be rushed to
    completion by this afternoon.

Yeah right, this is Ireland. I'm going out shortly to get a few things it'll be interesting to see if there is any sign of the council.

Anyone have any idea yet what we should expect for Tuesday? I know Ophelia should be well past but how long after should we be expecting to feel the effects?

It will all depend on power outages and the brave Esb teams.

Perhaps trees still down on roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Supposed to be flying in to Dublin Monday night round 11.

(Discounting the possibility of cancelled flights from earlier in the day causing knock on issues), is the worst of the storm likely to have passed at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭touts

Some lad on the newstalk 10am news just put the main focus on warning people to watch out for wet slippery leaves.

WTF is going on? Reading boards I'm genuinely concerned but the so called "powers that be" and mainstream media seem to think this is nothing at all to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

The numbers on this morning's wind forecast chart from Met Eireann are ... unusual:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Supposed to be flying in to Dublin Monday night round 11.

(Discounting the possibility of cancelled flights from earlier in the day causing knock on issues), is the worst of the storm likely to have passed at that stage?

There’s a dedicated thread for flight disruptions in Aviation & Aircraft - probably best to have a look there
    Note there is a dedicated thread for flight cancellations in the Aviation & Aircraft forum, so that would be the place to check.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057797630/1/#post104972259

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

xper wrote: »
    The numbers on this morning's wind forecast chart from Met Eireann are ... unusual:

Wow. Do they know something we don’t? Maybe it’s a massive downgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Apart from here, where should I be checking flight status for Monday morning? Airline, airport, or a mixture of both, due to fly out of cork at 05:50 Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

touts wrote: »
    Some lad on the newstalk 10am news just put the main focus on warning people to watch out for wet slippery leaves.
    I heard that too. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

xabi wrote: »
    Apart from here, where should I be checking flight status for Monday morning? Airline, airport, or a mixture of both, due to fly out of cork at 05:50 Monday morning.

Airline is your only bet.

I'd say your flight will be fine, but we can't really give info to everyone if they're flight to "xxx at 3pm" will be able to take off.

I'll be updating here later at 12:30 the TAF's (forecasts for the airport) up to 1pm tomorrow, take heed to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What is the likely situation with Dublin Bus or any company which runs double decker buses should the storm be as strong as predicted. What sort of side winds can those vehicles endure before going over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

So what precautions is everyone taking for this red alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

flazio wrote: »
    What is the likely situation with Dublin Bus or any company which runs double decker buses should the storm be as strong as predicted. What sort of side winds can those vehicles endure before going over?

Buses have almost all the weight low down so don’t suffer the same as HGV’s

The only time I remember a dublin bus flipping is if driven recklessly around a bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

Blingy wrote: »

Simples .. garden cleared, bottled water, batteries and candles and food that can be cooked on the bbq for dinner tomorrow evening .. I’m rural on the Louth coast so with fallen trees good chance of no electricity for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057797471

• Registered Users Posts: 48,234 ✭✭✭✭km79

whippet wrote: »

Simples .. garden cleared, bottled water, batteries and candles and food that can be cooked on the bbq for dinner tomorrow evening .. I’m rural on the Louth coast so with fallen trees good chance of no electricity for a while
    I had been considering the BBQ too BUT it will be to windy to use it surely ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

Rather ominous stuff from the national hurricane centre:
    HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
    WIND: Gale-force winds are expected to begin across southern
    Ireland by early Monday morning and gradually spread northward
    across the country during the day. Hurricane-force winds are
    expected to reach the southern portions of Ireland by Monday
    afternoon and spread inland across the country into Monday night.
    Preparations to protect lives and property should be rushed to
    completion by this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

We a mid sized skip at the back of our house. It's fairly full with all the smallish light stuff at the bottom. We have covered that and weighed down the cover with heavy stuff.
    Any advice on what else we can do with it to secure it?

In South Tipp. Not a red zone. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

I'm going over to the elderly in laws today to make sure they have everything they need. Is it going to be warm tomorrow or should I set a fire to be lit?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Samsgirl wrote: »
    We a mid sized skip at the back of our house. It's fairly full with all the smallish light stuff at the bottom. We have covered that and weighed down the cover with heavy stuff.
    Any advice on what else we can do with it to secure it?

In South Tipp. Not a red zone. Yet.

Tarp and straps or netting if you can get it.
    Instead of a tarp a couple of old bed sheets strapped down would do the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I really don't know what, if anything, I need to do. I have followed the forecasts and the storm thread here. Dublin is never mentioned beyond the fact it's included in the "rest of the country" orange warning, so I assume it will be ok, like previous orange alerts. I walk to/from work so will just expect to get blown about a bit. My workplace leaks in hundreds of places with even light rain so I supoose we can expect to be mopping up and moving buckets for the day.

I have tried to advise my elderly mother to stay in for the day but she's having none of it and plans to walk to the supermarket and get the bus to town. She expects it to be a normal Autumn windy day based in RTE's coverage and nothing but RTE dire warnings would change her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I very rarely come in here and its mostly when its one extreme to another.

But just want to say I appreciate all the updates from the lads here and some of you are excellent at what ye do.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Firstly I'm going to cook a few extra sausages with my fry. Sausage sandwiches are delish. Clear the garden. Move the car away from the house. I've a fairly big kitchen and the bins are both new (cleanish) and empty so no harm bringing them inside. Torch in reaching distance. Take the dog for a super long walk in case we don't get out tomorrow. Then I'm going to roast me a chicken. Build a fire ready in case the leckie goes. Then sit down with a glass or two of red this evening and wear my finger out refreshing boards. I booked tomorrow off a week ago before I knew about the storm so I don't need to worry about work till Tuesday.

I feel that my preparations are not excessive. The sausages will get eaten anyway. So will the chicken. And at some stage I'm gonna light that fire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

RiceCrispy wrote: »
    With regards to red/ amber warnings what should we be really doing to prepare? have lamps etc in case of power cut but are we at a stage where windows should be boarded up to protect from debris?

We should be striving to stow anything that might become debris rather than boarding up windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭floorpie

I really don't know what, if anything, I need to do. I have followed the forecasts and the storm thread here. Dublin is never mentioned beyond the fact it's included in the "rest of the country" orange warning, so I assume it will be ok, like previous orange alerts. I walk to/from work so will just expect to get blown about a bit. My workplace leaks in hundreds of places with even light rain so I supoose we can expect to be mopping up and moving buckets for the day.

This is what I'd like to know. I remember fairly widespread disruption for seemingly more minor storms; flooding, slates flying, trees falling, major traffic jams, so presumably this will be even worse?

From the projections it looks like Dublin is going to be battered by strong gusts at rush hour so, is there cause for taking a half day if you don't want to sit in traffic for hours?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I've work on Monday in a shop in the crescent in Limerick. They're currently renovating the roof in parts of the centre. Hopefully the wind doesn't feck the place up..

Are there open holes in the roof? I was working in the Parkway during the big storm on Christmas eve 97 and the roof came away in two places. Once the second hole happened the fire brigade shut us down as they said the risk of the whole roof coming away was too high to stay opened. Couldn't get customers out of the shop though. We were telling them the roof was at risk of caving but they were hysterically insisting on looking for candles even though we had sold out of them hours ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I live on a coast road in North County Dublin and get to work via a tree lined country road and then the M1, which I’m sure many of you know is very exposed to wind in parts. I’m so worried that this is going to be worse for the east than Met Eireann are allowing for. If it’s not a red warning I have to go to work and I must say I’m concerned I won’t be able to get home again tomorrow evening.

Advertisement