Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Coveney stumbling badly on the questions of if the Government has taken control of this.

control of what? It's a storm for christs sakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Wild in Roscommon. Wind and rain.
    We were 60 hours without power during the storm last spring.
    Hopefully that won't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Leo addressing the country at 10.40 according to SOR.

Typical Leo ego, making sure we all see him as heading our nation in its darkest hour...

Unnecessary, we all know about the precautions by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

I really think this has been totally hyped up. Now 10.30 + all there is are a few guests on South coast. For the last 2 hours on rte radio keep talking about the hurricane that is still coming because it was meant to be here at 6 this morning but I think they are wrong + has come but just not as bad as expected! We have had much worse gale force storms. Here in north county Dublin sunny + calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cork city not too bad, getting some pretty strong gusts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Reports of bins falling over in tyrone, harrowing scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,566 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will Leo go with the black Coast Guard jacket or a white tieless shirt with the sleeves up for the press conference, I'm going to say the jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

2 kite surfers missing/in trouble in Dundalk Bay. R116 en route!!

How could you go out in these conditions!
    Ah ffs!!!!! :mad:
    UsBus wrote: »
    You expect the leader of the country to address the nation and provide clarity to everyone on whether they should travel to work. Leaving it up to people to decide how necessary their journey is is a copout...Employers do not want to let people off affecting their business and employees do not want to skive off work if it could have consequences for their jobs...
    You can blame the Taoiseach for a lot of things, but I'm not sure he's responsible for the weather ...

I fail to see what he's getting on now for tbh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Sure its downgraded and everything already, pure overated guff from weather nerds as usual

Over moderating again for this comment. No need for yellow cards for a simple statement like this.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Like, what do people expect him to say?
    The last person I need to hear from while preparing for an event like this is the Taoiseach.

And tomorrow, when there is actual damage iin places around the country, who do I want to hear from? Not the Taoiseach.

Unless he's somehow going to be able to tell all private workers to go home, it's hard to know what he's got to say that the organisations aren't telling us themselves. It's not like he has negotiated a deal with Ophelia. Has he read the weather models himself and had a "Great Scott!" moment?

This will be interesting to hear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Green&Red wrote: »
    In fairness he cant just order companies to stay closed, hes not Chairman Mao. I'd imagine if he did then they'd be open for a company claiming for losses.

I'm in a startup in Kiltimagh, boss text round yesterday saying it was a normal day. Then again this morning saying it was over hyped and we would miss the worst but if people wanted to stay at home they could take a days holiday. I'm raging, have told the lads working directly for me to leave at 11 and. Row with the boss coming up later in the week

That "boss" is an absolute plonker...is he trying to score browny points with the upper echelons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Fair play to the emergency services and I hope the 2 idiots are found safely.. but they should then absolutely be charged with reckless endangerment or something.

The rescue crews should be allowed have turns punching them in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

appledrop wrote: »
    I really think this has been totally hyped up. Now 10.30 + all there is are a few guests on South coast. For the last 2 hours on rte radio keep talking about the hurricane that is still coming because it was meant to be here at 6 this morning but I think they are wrong + has come but just not as bad as expected! We have had much worse gale force storms. Here in north county Dublin sunny + calm.

It was due to make landfall around 11am. And the worst winds come on the back of it apparently. Not over yet by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,566 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will the windfarm owners be rubbing their hands or their heads today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Greystones in North Wicklow very strong gusts.

At 9 this am there was eerie stillness.
    Dark but with a glow.

Now it's sunny and very very gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Has the Kinsale platform been evacuated? Is that routine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

You expect the leader of the country to address the nation and provide clarity to everyone on whether they should travel to work. Leaving it up to people to decide how necessary their journey is is a copout...Employers do not want to let people off affecting their business and employees do not want to skive off work if it could have consequences for their jobs...

I don't, no.
    I expect the agencies who's job it is to estmate to provide clarity.

Which they did when they told the whole country not to leave their house unless it was absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

road_high wrote: »
    control of what? It's a storm for christs sakes...

Of communication, getting the advice out there, making real decisions based on that advice and showing actual LEADERSHIP.

Instead they sat back and waited until 6pm last night before they started thinking about what might happen.

Ridiculous.. Half-assed as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Looks like the storm has made landfall around the South West now according to sat24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Cork city : Gusts getting pretty damn strong now but not too scary from where we are. Seemingly some people went out shopping in Cork city.. Torrential rain coming and going but dry most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Let's hope that Met Éireann are completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Tinahely area in Wicklow gets good gusts now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

d.pop wrote: »
    Thanks for that constructive feedback....
    People are looking for updates, thought it might be of interest what the situation Is like in west cork.
    I wouldn't be venturing out but I was expecting much worse to be honest based on the media.

Lighten up ffs,seems you lost any sense of humour you might have had in the winds:rolleyes:
    You more or less said this was a typical storm , hence why i said if your so sure you might want to call in the people you sent home and take a chance based on your claim of a non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

road_high wrote: »
    Why? Do you think he's more expert than the likes of Met Eireann and all other emergency services? People looking for non issues to feed their faux outrage...

No he has more authority and influence than met eireann. What do you think the leaders role should be, sharing socks with other leaders..??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Poor leadership. Government should have been providing clearer information to people. Simon Coveney saying to respect how dangerous this is, yet you've guys here being told to commute to work as normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

All this media debate of which parts of the country will get the worst of this is pointless.

Everywhere and everyone is is the firing line.

Making predictions only creates false sense of safety elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Will the windfarm owners be rubbing their hands or their heads today?

The windturbines will automatically shut down once the winds get too strong and gusty i expect this will happen today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Pathetic, he should have gone on the 9.00 o'clock news last night before people had to travel....
    But sure you wouldn't expect anything else from Paddy Ireland......

You’ll be complaining that we shut down the country next. You can’t win with the people who use the phrase Paddy Ireland. I see no reason for the Taoiseach to talk at all. We are not at war.

Occasionally moderately gusty here in Dublin. I can see trees from my window. Mostly they are not moving with occasional gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cone down to Cork and see what it's like. I suppose if it's not happening in Dublin, nowhere else matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

2 kite surfers missing/in trouble in Dundalk Bay. R116 en route!!

How could you go out in these conditions!

Where did you see this?

Advertisement