Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Nothing worth mentioning here on Meath/Westmeath border so far,wind direction has completely changed from straight to the south to a north wind.
    As I type this there's blue skies above me!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Will the windfarm owners be rubbing their hands or their heads today?

No. The turbines can't work and automatically switch off in very high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Karsini wrote: »
    My dad had one and always said it was a no-no.

My plumber told me it is not a problem if there is a hotwater cylinder connected to it and it must be in a higher position as the stove / backboiler itself and don't lit it to hot / high

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The Gardai are driving around our village urging walkers to get inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

UsBus wrote: »
    You expect the leader of the country to address the nation and provide clarity to everyone on whether they should travel to work. Leaving it up to people to decide how necessary their journey is is a copout...Employers do not want to let people off affecting their business and employees do not want to skive off work if it could have consequences for their jobs...

Is this not the job of NERC? To provide independent skilled advice. Which is what was done. In our company, we stood everyone down last night. You cannot blame other's lack of response on the government. Everyone had enough information last night.

By the way, I think the model you are looking for is North Korea. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just wanted to say a big thanks and congratulations to all the posters in this thread offering reports on current conditions "here" without actually saying where they are or having their location in their profile, top notch work lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

kilns wrote: »
    It wouldnt be Ireland unless a few people had a good old moan about how the Govt never do enough

Exactly. Can people not think for themselves or make their own decisions? It's very juvenile to be blaming someone else all the time. Time to grow up. #clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

Smallish tree over now in my garden. Winds seem to be picking up and becoming significantly gustier.

Rochestown, Co. Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Blue sky and sun is shining in ennis anyway. Windy alright but nothing out of the ordinary. Lads talking about going golfing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

appledrop wrote: »
    I really think this has been totally hyped up. Now 10.30 + all there is are a few guests on South coast. For the last 2 hours on rte radio keep talking about the hurricane that is still coming because it was meant to be here at 6 this morning but I think they are wrong + has come but just not as bad as expected! We have had much worse gale force storms. Here in north county Dublin sunny + calm.

Just as well you are in North Dublin,

A few gusts! Jeez, and here's me thinking us Dubs were prone to slight exaggerating!

I'm in The Rower, and taking my life in my hands going to the garden,

Sure your not just blowing hot air!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I really think this has been totally hyped up. Now 10.30 + all there is are a few guests on South coast. For the last 2 hours on rte radio keep talking about the hurricane that is still coming because it was meant to be here at 6 this morning but I think they are wrong + has come but just not as bad as expected! We have had much worse gale force storms. Here in north county Dublin sunny + calm.
    Have you not seen the satellite images of the big swirly thing off the south coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Jaycornyn wrote: »
    Is it safe to have a fire lit with a back boiler if the power goes out. Water boiling and no pump to circulate it??
    It's not great. There should be a gravity fed loop (like a radiator mounted higher or a water tank mounted above the height of the fire), which will keep things from rupturing if the pump stops. I once saw this in action during a blizzard and it worked, although there was occasional thudding from the feed pipe.

If there's no precaution like that then I'd not use the fire unless you're in an urban area away from Munster.
    Edit: as said above, having the fire going without much coal and at a low level would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Of communication, getting the advice out there, making real decisions based on that advice and showing actual LEADERSHIP.

Instead they sat back and waited until 6pm last night before they started thinking about what might happen.

Ridiculous.. Half-assed as usual!

What are you on about? It's been allover the bleedin news for the past 3 days. Non stop updates and warnings. Typical idiotic nit-picking and senseless blame culture that has engulfed certain sections of Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It's only hitting the coast of Cork and Kerry at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My plumber told me it is not a problem if there is a hotwater cylinder connected to it and it must be in a higher position as the stove / backboiler itself and don't lit it to hot / high

Yeah thats sound advice - if its a gravity circuit you are ok , if its pumped take caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Where did you see this?

heard Carlingford CoastGuard relaying the mayday on VHF ch 16, then heard Clogher Head lifeboat confirming they were en route to scene, again on ch 16

also just heard a helicopter passing overhead (I'm in Rush), so I'm presuming it's R116.

It's very much a 'live' event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭C__MC

Heavy enough winds in gorey but nothing it hasn't seen before

I wonder will it be severe as expected, doubt it very much

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

it has only now reached the south west

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dublin Bus should be ashamed of themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ESB Said 22,000 people without power in the SW.

I'd say 200,000 + without power by the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Smallish tree over now in my garden. Winds seem to be picking up and becoming significantly gustier.

Rochestown, Co. Cork.

So how bad is it there at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

road_high wrote: »
    Car sprinkled with dust this morning (Kilkenny)...?

A lot of Sahara dust travelling up with the Storm I believe.
    Calima episode here in the Canary Islands over the last few days + Ophelia travelling past 1100km north-west on its way towards Ireland = Sahara dust in Kilkenny on the morning of the arrival of a tropical storm to Ireland.
    Not your ordinary October day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

UsBus wrote: »
    You expect the leader of the country to address the nation and provide clarity to everyone on whether they should travel to work. Leaving it up to people to decide how necessary their journey is is a copout...Employers do not want to let people off affecting their business and employees do not want to skive off work if it could have consequences for their jobs...

Grow up. Use common sense....period

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Gael23 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus should be ashamed of themselves
    And if a gust toppled a double decker noone would blame them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

kilns wrote: »
    It wouldnt be Ireland unless a few people had a good old moan about how the Govt never do enough

Exactly. Can people not think for themselves or make their own decisions?  It's very juvenile to be blaming someone else all the time. Time to grow up.  #clueless
    It's all well and good to say that when you work for a good employer who appreciates the significance of the event. But when you have a total d*ck for a boss who insists you come in you don't have much choice. Otherwise there's a possibility of being in the bad books for a long time in the future. Missing potential promotions etc. It's not easy for some people. If there was a widespread official government notification recommending shutdown of businesses then folk wouldn't have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

boa2507 wrote: »
    do you have a link to a website to track the storm live on a map, thanks

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-9.60,50.00,1979/loc=-8.884,52.677

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

accensi0n wrote: »
    The rescue crews should be allowed have turns punching them in the face.

they should be arrested on the spot.

2 kite surfers missing/in trouble in Dundalk Bay. R116 en route!!

How could you go out in these conditions!

Stupid f**king clowns. If they billed them with some of the costs of the rescue they might think twice about doing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

2 kite surfers missing/in trouble in Dundalk Bay. R116 en route!!

How could you go out in these conditions!

They must of watched Point break over the weekend, are the local banks open?

Advertisement