Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

Definitely picking up in North Co. Cork, wind is more continuous and gusts are stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

#prayforpaschal

• Registered Users Posts: 82,568 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will Leo go with the black Coast Guard jacket or a white tieless shirt with the sleeves up for the press conference, I'm going to say the jacket.

Neither :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

17 degrees here in N.Louth.
    I'm out in the garden on my deck chair having a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Typical Leo ego, making sure we all see him as heading our nation in its darkest hour...

Unnecessary, we all know about the precautions by now.

So some folks think he should address the nation, while others see it as him stroking his ego, how do you win?
    It seems you can only ever please some of the people.
    Then we have others having a moan because they perceive this to be a non event, even if the strongest of the winds have not arrived in their area.
    We also have those utterly selfish people putting the lives of the selfless in danger with their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

FFS, take the politics to the pretty dead Political Forum and liven it up a bit instead of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,919 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gael23 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus should be ashamed of themselves

Why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

This post has been deleted.

Your in Canada though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

appledrop wrote: »
    I really think this has been totally hyped up. Now 10.30 + all there is are a few guests on South coast. For the last 2 hours on rte radio keep talking about the hurricane that is still coming because it was meant to be here at 6 this morning but I think they are wrong + has come but just not as bad as expected! We have had much worse gale force storms. Here in north county Dublin sunny + calm.

No offence but you're a fuc*ing idiot.

It has just hit the land in the south-west of the country.
    There's a lot of issues with power already before it even hit land.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

road_high wrote: »
    That "boss" is an absolute plonker...is he trying to score browny points with the upper echelons?

He owns the company!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1
    Mod note

This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling and flaming

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Seems like the storm is about 2 hours behind what was predicted.

Any reports yet of it actually hitting land in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's a bit late now Leo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Met Eireann have posted a nice graphic of the projected storm track
    https://twitter.com/meteireann/status/919854359403552768

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Will the windfarm owners be rubbing their hands or their heads today?

They'll all be on lock down

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

UsBus wrote: »
    No he has more authority and influence than met eireann. What do you think the leaders role should be, sharing socks with other leaders..??

Tripe. For me anyhow, I prefer listen to actual EXPERTS, ya know Meteorologists and the like. Is the Taoiseach a Meteorologist? I wasn't aware he was anyhow....
    Political point scoring is all the likes of you are after, just using the storm for political opportunism to have a whine about the Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

road_high wrote: »
    What are you on about? It's been allover the bleedin news for the past 3 days. Non stop updates and warnings. Typical idiotic nit-picking and senseless blame culture that has engulfed certain sections of Irish society.

This is an extremely rare and serious national weather event with potentially very damaging and even life-threatening consequences.

In most other places (especially as this doesn't happen here for the most part) a state of emergency would have been declared, a pre-arranged plan implemented, and clear instructions and guidance issued by Government (rather than leaving Met Eireann practically pleading for people to take it seriously!)

You think that's too much to expect? We already know our current Taoiseach isn't media shy, yet on this occasion he's vanished like his predecessor did in times of crisis (or scandal)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It's fairly feckin windy in Cork city now, two medium sized trees down in the garden behind me already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

No. 1 Stay in doors
    No. 2 Check on your neighbours :-)
    ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anybody who says "it's not as bad as what they were saying" or "non-event/overhyped" or anything similar should not be allowed post in this thread. Saying things like that, could put someone's life in danger if they believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Leo checking his notes regularly. He even checked them as to ensure it was a "dangerous " event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

So how bad is it there at the moment?

Unreal winds, trees looking unstable, front door seems unsafe. Not much rain but flying debris and it will get worse. There's no traffic passing at all here and emergency services are out. Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,568 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose the biggest lesson so far is don't allow trees to be planted within falling distance of roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Getting gusty here in the Midlands now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Pathetic announcement by Leo. Too little and too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

track here https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.45;-8.80;6&l=gust
    toggle parameters left and timeline below

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Wind picking up here in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Will the windfarm owners be rubbing their hands or their heads today?

No, because wind turbines are all turned over a certain wind speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Trees still have plenty of leaves so they are heavier at the moment and we just had one collapse here about 20 mins ago. Luckily no one under it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Mine was sent home by 9 - morning hurricane delight already had... :o;)

Awww, two little Ophelias to welcome at end June 2018!! Congrats😇

Advertisement