Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hasn't been on RTE yet either

It is on RTE

road_high wrote: »
    Don't travel and go out. How much clearer do you want it? Do you need a personal call from Leo to get it through to you? Because that's what it sounds like...

Certain employers need to hear it though, some are still not letting people go home! That's the crux of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Gael23 wrote: »
    They have effectively imprisoned workers in Dublin City centre

The blame lies with employers who brought their employees in in the first place despite a weekend of warnings that this was going to be a bad one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well those gust are coming along now here in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    He should have made it last night and advised corporate companies to tell staff to stay at home . I know two banks that brought staff in at 8 am and sent them home at 10 am .

Last I checked we didn't live in North Korea and the Taoiseach didn't dictate how businesses operate. If business decides to open and bring in their staff, that's an issue between themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

caff wrote: »
    They clearly communicated that services would stop at 10.

It seems too convenient to run serviced to bring them to work at 9 and resume again at 6

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Knex. wrote: »
    Has Ireland every experienced 170km+ gusts, on record anyway?

181 kmh at Malin Head during hurricane Debbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Just been told not to come into work, evening shift cancelled. I think most businesses in the city have shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Getting squally in waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

crushproof wrote: »
    It's all well and good to say that when you work for a good employer who appreciates the significance of the event. But when you have a total d*ck for a boss who insists you come in you don't have much choice. Otherwise there's a possibility of being in the bad books for a long time in the future. Missing potential promotions etc. It's not easy for some people. If there was a widespread official government notification recommending shutdown of businesses then folk wouldn't have this problem.

My post was aimed at "bosses" as well as employees. It's about common sense and having enough common sense to make the correct judgement call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

caff wrote: »
    They clearly communicated that services would stop at 10.

Yeah...today. It was clear for several days that ALL services would have to be stopped today and yet last night they were still saying "we'll see how it is", meaning that thousands may now be stranded away from home.

Bus Eireann is the only branch that seemed to take it semi-seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Dcully wrote: »
    Lighten up ffs,seems you lost any sense of humour you might have had in the winds:rolleyes:
    You more or less said this was a typical storm , hence why i said if your so sure you might want to call in the people you sent home and take a chance based on your claim of a non event.

That's just a silly comment again to be fair...
    you are misquoting me re non event.
    The wind has picked up here a bit in the last 5 mins but again it just doesn't appear much worse - yet - than a wet and very windy winter day.
    I hope it doesn't get any worse by the way, just saying, was expecting worse.
    And no I won't be calling my people back in, Good or bad it was the right call based on the official advice at the time, it just doesn't look like it is developing as expected in our area. Maybe later..?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

The three stooges on rte now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Force majeur leave is in Labour law and applies to private sector workers who haven’t turned up today according Leo vradaker in reply to whether people should be paid

All state employees will be paid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Wonder will we get paid for work. We do get Force Majeure, I'm guessing it's covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

marvin80 wrote: »
    No offence but you're a fuc*ing idiot.

It has just hit the land in the south-west of the country.
    There's a lot of issues with power already before it even hit land.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

Mod note

Tone it down & don’t resort to personal abuse. Step away from the keyboard and/or report the post instead

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Certain employers need to hear it though, some are stiill not letting people go home! That's the crux of the issue.

If they're already in work/indoors they're possibly safer to stay there for the day at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh right yeah. Yeah this cancelling transport when people have travelled into an area makes no sense at all.

Its crazy, they announced it at 8.45 when the majority of people would already be in or close to work. They obviously knew there would be major disruptions so why run at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Shane Ross is nearly on Leo's back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Certain employers need to hear it though, some are stiill not letting people go home! That's the crux of the issue.

They are listening to Leo then, he's clearly said - if you are in work, stay there - don't leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Unnecessary journeys..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

2 kite surfers missing/in trouble in Dundalk Bay. R116 en route!!

How could you go out in these conditions!

R116 is on scene along with Clogher Head Lifeboat

These guys (if still missing) are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

jcd5971 wrote: »
    West clare nicest day in weeks so far non event here.
    Overstated as usual glad I came into work.
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    Sure its downgraded and everything already, pure overated guff from weather nerds as usual

These posts are making me furious.

I won't say what I feel like saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

My mother said power out back home in West Cork. Power out in turner's cross aswell

road_high wrote: »
    If they're already in work/indoors they're possibly safer to stay there for the day at this stage.

They never should have been expected at work in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Wicklow getting gusty now. All patio chairs safely piled against a big corner wall, patio table indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Make sure pet cats and dogs are inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I like boxer morans approach, keep talking at 100mph so no other questions can be asked..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Nothing at all in Limerick. Hard to believe it at this point here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has is landed in cork/kerry yet?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement