Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Mid Kerry

Wind gust at 69.1kmh, pressure dropping further to 974 and rain at 9.4mm today so far

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

So is this as bad as it's going to get for Cork City or is it going to get worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Louche Lad wrote: »
    How are people filling their time, if you're at home? We're just sitting around, playing board games, reading and drinking tea. Feels a bit like Christmas morning long after all the presents have been opened.

Christ you’ve just reminded me how much I hate Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's really picked up here in cork the last thirty minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's weird being here in Connemara - glorious blue skies and sunshine. For now at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think I’ll head to work now.Blue skies and trees totally still in Limerick city

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: off topic posts deleted, stay on topic

Mod note

This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling and flaming

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Power went out earlier here in West Waterford, exposed location close to 200masl then came back on, then as I was typing this it went off again, sending this with internet dongle.
    It is stronger than most our storms already, you can hear it and see it. We'd get the odd gust that strong normally, but we're getting more than that, and it's only the start. Not much rain.

Fairly well prepared but the alarm goes off and stays on whenever power is gone and it's going to drive us mad.

Trampoline still there in a glowing testimony of Mr Moutains anchoring abilities, I strapped it with a belt to a tree, not sure it (the belt, the tree) will hold.

Over and out for now ! Got to save battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

At least one car has been hit by a falling tree in Cork

A Crane has blown down onto the road near little island

Any employers who needlessly made their employees travel to work need to be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Getting very very blustery in north cork. Lights flickering a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Yeah... Just your normal windy day lads, yeah, all hype... yeah? Cop yourself on lads.

Hope our emergency services keep safe out there dealing with this chaos in crazy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You just don't understand the lure of that wave.

Or so my surfer friends tell me.
    I do actually.

But there's risk, and there's putting yourself and others at risk when every bit of common sense should say "don't!!!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

So is this as bad as it's going to get for Cork City or is it going to get worse?

Multiply it by 10 and pick any number to multiply your answer by.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 67kn/125kmh at Cork Airport atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick is very breezy so far.

A few heavy gusts.

But nothing major to date

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

2 kite surfers missing/in trouble in Dundalk Bay. R116 en route!!

How could you go out in these conditions!

They are ashore and safe.

Seelonce Mayday (all rescue stood down)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Wow! Mind blowing gusts now. Anyone who thought this is a non event is not where I am. We are 5 miles east of the centre. No power.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Just tried to go for a pre-hurricane walk...not quite pre-hurricane. Wind really picking up in Ballybrack right now, a few small branches off trees already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

road_high wrote: »
    Last I checked we didn't live in North Korea and the Taoiseach didn't dictate how businesses operate. If business decides to open and bring in their staff, that's an issue between themselves.

Would you stop. Theres a Red Alert Weather Warning since yesterday. The National Emergency Coordination Group have been in session and issued warnings to avoid effective non essential travel. When an Emergency Event is announced that covers the whole bloody country, they are meant to take heed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

22000 without power in Munster and it's not even landed yet....
    Anyone got any spare brown underpants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Leo waiting until 10.40am this morning to address the nation.

Is this a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

22,000 homes without power

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

morticia2 wrote: »
    Just tried to go for a pre-hurricane walk...not quite pre-hurricane. Wind really picking up in Ballybrack right now, a few small branches off trees already.

Don't go for a walk!

Neighbour's after putting out the refuse bins. In Dundalk. Worst of it due round 6 pm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Everyone should have been told to stay at home last night , sending people into work puts more pressure on emergency services which they don't need

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

STB. wrote: »
    Would you stop. Theres a Red Alert Weather Warning since yesterday. The National Emergency Coordination Group have been in session and issued warnings to avoid effective non essential travel. When an Emergency Event is announced that covers the whole bloody country, they are meant to take heed.
    Agreed. It shouldn't need the Taoiseach to rubberstamp it.

Took a walk around the perimeter of my gaff in Mallow to make sure all still well before the worst hits. Gusts strong enough to unbalance me. I have seen power and broadband out here under milder conditions, and this is only the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

freddyuk wrote: »
    Wow! Mind blowing gusts now. Anyone who thought this is a non event is not where I am. We are 5 miles east of the centre. No power.

Where exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Advertisement