Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,570 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Between 1-2pm the final DARTS will move, no service for the rest of the day after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

My neighbor is hanging out her washing in Dublin

Never waste a good crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

All train/ dart services to finish at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Feel sorry for the elderly people staying at home without food, as well as homeless people. Please God no one get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

30 minute work day for me told to go home as I can spill most of my work into tomorrow, half didn't come in but some of my colleagues still stuck there doing critical same day tasks, they must feel like mugs going in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

I understand these kite surfers are now safe 'Rescue 116 is tasked & airborne to kite surfers in distress Dundalk Bay' but what the helll were they thinking?
    Putting others lives at risk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Here we go!

Gusting 80 km/h near Tralee

10 min avg 43 km/h

Bar 976.6 hPa Falling Rapidly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Absolutely honking here in East Cork, power out the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Will the windfarm owners be rubbing their hands or their heads today?

I've just counted 21 of them here in Tipp facing into the wind spinning away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Where exactly?

He told you...5 miles east of the centre .....sorry.. couldn't resist:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

My mother has all the bath towels on the line in Monagahan. Hoping to get a couple of hours good drying before she takes them in 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Shameful behaviour by some big corporate companies in Dublin .The brought staff in and told them to leave now at 11;15 .No buses ,no LUas ., no way home .People battling home now on foot .Big Banks doing the same .Shame on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

eigrod wrote: »

I can't work out from that site if the Storm is moving really really slowly or if the site only updates every hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

Phoebas wrote: »
    Never waste a good crisis.

Great day for some drying. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Where exactly?

Dunmanus Bay, near Durrus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just saw this on Rescue 116's Facebook. Some real idiots out there.

"Rescue 116 is tasked & airborne to kite surfers in distress Dundalk Bay."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My neighbor is hanging out her washing in Dublin

She’ll be taking it in later in Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Agreed. It shouldn't need the Taoiseach to rubberstamp it.

Oh No. I wouldnt agree with that. Leo did have a role, knowing that some companies wouldnt pay any heed. Infact he should have done it last night not today. He should have said that he was shutting down the public transport system, and that only the most essential travel should be undertaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Neighbour's after putting out the refuse bins. In Dundalk. Worst of it due round 6 pm here.

Taught it was ment to be between 12pm and 1pm for here no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Wind picking up big-time in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Stuck in work in the airport no sign of letting staff go home saying everything is normal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Power back :D For now !
    Don't know how ESB manage, but they're doing a great job, 2 power cuts fixed already, they must have crews ready to chop the trees as they come down. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very windy in Leitrim. Trees down locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Just had a holy fnck gust in cork city area .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Shameful behaviour by some big corporate companies in Dublin .The brought staff in and told them to leave now at 11;15 .No buses ,no LUas ., no way home .People battling home now on foot .Big Banks doing the same .Shame on them

Ridiculous carry on, we were told to stay at home last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

STB. wrote: »
    Would you stop. Theres a Red Alert Weather Warning since yesterday. The National Emergency Coordination Group have been in session and issued warnings to avoid effective non essential travel. When an Emergency Event is announced that covers the whole bloody country, they are meant to take heed.

Well then blame the employer/s if you are keen (which clearly are) to find someone to blame.
    You freely sign a job contract that involves clear responsibility and taking control of those responsibilities. After that it's your job to liaise with your employer. How people think that is the states responsibility just boggles my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

STB. wrote: »
    Oh No. I wouldnt agree with that. Leo did have a role, knowing that some companies wouldnt pay any heed. Infact he should have done it last night not today. He should have said that he was shutting down the public transport system, and that only the most essential travel should be undertaken.

The leaders of other countries do it all the time. Even Trump came out in the days before to tell people to get out and listen to the advice of the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I do actually.

But there's risk, and there's putting yourself and others at risk when every bit of common sense should say "don't!!!".

I presume any idiot who has gone out in this for sport and needs rescuing would have to meet the full cost of said rescue?

If they don't make it maybe their families can sell their darwin award to meet the bill.

Unbelievably selfish and incredibly foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

RoisinD wrote: »
    I understand these kite surfers are now safe 'Rescue 116 is tasked & airborne to kite surfers in distress Dundalk Bay' but what the helll were they thinking?
    Putting others lives at risk.

I hope they're really embarrassed with themselves. Not only putting themselves at danger, putting the rescue team at danger, and putting other people who may have unavoidably needed the rescue team at danger too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

Why doesn't Ireland have those warning messages that come up on your mobile phones? Like they do in the US, when you get told if a hurricane or tornado is in the area?

Advertisement