Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

HighLine wrote: »
    Just saw this on Rescue 116's Facebook. Some real idiots out there.

"Rescue 116 is tasked & airborne to kite surfers in distress Dundalk Bay."

They've been found ashore safe and sound

Clogher Head Lifeboat also on scene

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My neighbor is hanging out her washing in Dublin

if you've been watching non stop strictly and xfactor you may have missed all the hurricane chatter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

getting mental in cork now !!! unreal gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The brother in law saying "it's not as bad as forecast,sure the worst of it will blow over by the afternoon". Told him we haven't even seen the start of it yet and already 22,000 homes without power. Some people just can't be told.I think it's the sun being out that's fooling people,they normally associated storms with midwinter nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Gusting up to 61km/h now in Galway City

Barometer 988.52 hPa Falling very rapidly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anybody know what direction the storm surges will be on the north Mayo coast, Killala Bay? My mother is right beside a river a hundred yards from the sea and I'm worried about flooding. I saw a good graph of the direction of surges last night but it only covered Donegal and the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

sadie9 wrote: »
    Why doesn't Ireland have those warning messages that come up on your mobile phones? Like they do in the US, when you get told if a hurricane or tornado is in the area?

Because it hardly ever happens in Ireland, once in 50 years, as opposed to a few times every year over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

It's really wild in south carlow and has been all morning. Really kicking off now though.

Why doesn't Ireland have those warning messages that come up on your mobile phones? Like they do in the US, when you get told if a hurricane or tornado is in the area?

how many hurricanes and tornadoes does Ireland have to deal with?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

71kn/131kmh gust reported at Roches Point at 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Shameful behaviour by some big corporate companies in Dublin .The brought staff in and told them to leave now at 11;15 .No buses ,no LUas ., no way home .People battling home now on foot .Big Banks doing the same .Shame on them

Any banks who have their staff in this morning should be able taxi their staff home, they all should have exclusive relationships with cabs firms so won't cost them that much out of their profits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I presume any idiot who has gone out in this for sport and needs rescuing would have to meet the full cost of said rescue?

If they don't make it maybe their families can sell their darwin award to meet the bill.

Unbelievably selfish and incredibly foolish.

Life is fatal, I'm imaging Patrick Swayze at the end of Point Break.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

So is this as bad as it's going to get for Cork City or is it going to get worse?

Never mind, even in the last 10 mins or so its really picked up. The news made it sound like the worst was hitting cork when it was on at around 10 30 but even in that short time its gotten a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 82,570 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They've been found ashore safe and sound

clothier Head Lifeboat also on scene

They should be locked up or heavily fined for endangering the lives of others who have to rescue them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Getting quite gusty near Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Not allowed out of work in dublin. Mist be the only place working at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Well I think this is great, I love when stuff like this happens (provided no one is hurt of course).

Was fast asleep at 9pm due to exhaustion last night, woke up to the work group whatsapp informing us that management emailed around 9 last night unequivocally telling everyone to stay home. That’s absolutely the best way to handle it, from what I can see of others making a pointless trek in, only to come home again.

Netflix, RTE news in the background, everything battened down, no errands to do, everyone accounted for, cup of tea- bliss!

Not allowed out of work in dublin. Mist be the only place working at this stage

what's the line of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Working in cork city and opted not to go in today. Just spoke to a colleague who confirmed out of our team of 25, only myself and 3 others didn't come in. The whole rest of the team is there.
    I can't believe it. Definitely in for a bollocking tomorrow now. We must be the only place in Cork open.

You're the sensible ones. I've never seen winds like this! Douglas, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Ridiculous carry on, we were told to stay at home last night.

We were told not to go out in it, but lots of people will have got into work before it started and can ride it out in their offices. It's forecast to be a violent event, but also a short lived event.

If the government are going to start telling people not to go to work, is the taxpayer also going to pick up the tab for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

rebeve wrote: »
    Just had a holy fnck gust in cork city area .

Yup 70mph

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Bar 976.6 hPa Falling Rapidly
    Sheesh!
    polydactyl wrote: »
    My mother has all the bath towels on the line in Monagahan. Hoping to get a couple of hours good drying before she takes them in ��
    Typical Irish mother! :D
    STB. wrote: »
    Oh No. I wouldnt agree with that. Leo did have a role, knowing that some companies wouldnt pay any heed. Infact he should have done it last night not today. He should have said that he was shutting down the public transport system, and that only the most essential travel should be undertaken.
    So have we really got to the stage where Leo has to tell us when to change our underwear?

Cop on, people, we're all supposed to be adults!
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    The leaders of other countries do it all the time. Even Trump came out in the days before to tell people to get out and listen to the advice of the experts.
    Though he never actually does it himself.

For once, his PR people slapped him into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

HighLine wrote: »
    Just saw this on Rescue 116's Facebook. Some real idiots out there.

"Rescue 116 is tasked & airborne to kite surfers in distress Dundalk Bay."

should be arrested and charged - gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It is almost like we are a nation that doesn't gets many hurricanes and aren't hugely experienced at this like other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I'm a bit late to the game this morning, but there is the odd gust here in Clondalkin. The sun is shining, and the sky is blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Working in cork city and opted not to go in today. Just spoke to a colleague who confirmed out of our team of 25, only myself and 3 others didn't come in. The whole rest of the team is there.
    I can't believe it. Definitely in for a bollocking tomorrow now. We must be the only place in Cork open.

Where do you work? I was half thinking it was same place as me, but we don't have teams of 25 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Quick tip...use the Map feature on Snapchat to keep on eye of other people's updates around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

If you were stranded in your workplace in Dublin. Might be an idea to go to the Airport, at least there is food and drink there and you could sleep if you had to! And the transport links will be open there first.
    It's very unfair on those who commuted into Dublin from other counties and now are stranded there by the services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

smodgley wrote: »
    should be arrested and charged - gob****es

The message should be "go out during the storm if you want but we are not working today". It's stupid from the rescue service to still offer that service in a storm where people are warned not to go out. The rescuers encourage the reckless behaviour by offering them a lifeline for their own stupidity.

Advertisement