Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Is it likely Limerick city schools could close?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Can anyone predict how my drive from Gorey to bray will be like at 8am tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Someone was saying the worst that could happen is that the firewood shed roof could blow off. So what about the tonnes of firewood stacked in there? Imagine a tonne of timber blocks, airborne. I as going to close the curtains and maybe tape the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

There's a National Emergency Planning meeting going on at the minute, so we're all likely to get an update as to reccommendations pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭sjb25

R.F. wrote: »
    Can anyone predict how my drive from Gorey to bray will be like at 8am tomorrow?

Windy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I live on a coast road in North County Dublin and get to work via a tree lined country road and then the M1, which I’m sure many of you know is very exposed to wind in parts. I’m so worried that this is going to be worse for the east than Met Eireann are allowing for. If it’s not a red warning I have to go to work and I must say I’m concerned I won’t be able to get home again tomorrow evening.

Ultimately everyone is responaible for themselves. If you don't feel happy then take a day's leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭prunudo

It's the drive home I'd be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Donal55 wrote: »
    Ultimately everyone is responaible for themselves. If you don't feel happy then take a day's leave.

I understand that in principle, but not every employer is ok with people taking leave without notice. If there’s a red warning for Dublin, I’m sure they’ll understand but at the moment there’s not a hope of them accepting my absence tomorrow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Blingy wrote: »
    So what precautions is everyone taking for this red alert?

As it was some time ago, I will relink it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104966245&postcount=3

Only a guide, but if you get to the end of it and don't find anything relevant, you're ready for whatever comes.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm going out in a bit to fill the car with petrol. I don't think widespread, long lasting power outages are too likely in urban areas but to be on the safe side it won't hurt to fill the car now in case it's a few days before it's possible again. I might fill the petrol bottle too in case the genny is needed.
    alroley wrote: »
    Is it likely Limerick city schools could close?
    I was talking to a couple of teachers here who think they probably will. I'm not going to be taking my son tomorrow regardless of whether his school opens or not. It's too risky as most storm fatalities in Ireland have happened while people are travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The same heavy traffic from Glen o The Downs as it is every day!
    The journey back south will be spicier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I understand that in principle, but not every employer is ok with people taking leave without notice. If there’s a red warning for Dublin, I’m sure they’ll understand but at the moment there’s not a hope of them accepting my absence tomorrow.

If there is a red weather warning would people expect not to go to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just chucked 20 euro into the car, bought batteries for radio, bought camping lantern for light (those LEDs are hideous but better than the dark!), will top up phone charge and credit last thing evening. Will also make a big sausage roll for tomorrows tea if needed (hell I'll eat it anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I’m hearing a few discussions in Cork City along to lines of “it will be a bit breezy - we are open! You better be here!”

We need guidance in this ASAP as there’s a very high risk of people putting themselves in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It will all depend on power outages and the brave Esb teams.

Fair enough! I know in 2014, they were very good in Limerick at getting out and getting everything back.

How about in terms of weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I really think they should close all schools. Met Éireann says Ophelia is comparable to Storm Debbie which killed 18 people in 1961. One day won't make much of a difference.
    Hurricane-force winds are expected to reach the southern portions of Ireland by Monday afternoon and spread inland across the country into Monday night.

Hurricane-force ye muppets. Flying debris everywhere and gusts powerful enough to knock you off your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Schools in Newbridge have announced they are closing tomorrow. Hope more follow suit as the day progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

iguana wrote:
    I was talking to a couple of teachers here who think they probably will. I'm not going to be taking my son tomorrow regardless of whether his school opens or not. It's too risky as most storm fatalities in Ireland have happened while people are travelling.
    Donal55 wrote:

This. If predictions keep going as is, I'm not going anywhere tomorrow and kids are having a day off school.

Last time there were gale force winds we only got the call the school was closing just as the worst hit and had the terrifying experience of being stuck in traffic with horrible crosswinds, tiles blown off roofs and smashing around us as the high sided 4x4 in front rocked up onto 2 wheels. Friends live out a country road and their normal 20 min trip took over 5hrs to get home behind a local farmer with a chain saw clearing trees and branches. Never again! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I'm considering keeping my kids out tomorrow. It's the late afternoon pick-up I'm worried about. I'd rather not have the car on the road then, and walking will be dangerous too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I know speaking to Americans living here they’re absolutely shocked at how we seem to be doing noting except assuming it’ll just fizzle out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Schools in Newbridge have announced they are closing tomorrow. Hope more follow suit as the day progresses

My young lad isn't going to school regardless of if it closes or not, Hopefully more parents in affected areas will take the same approach even if there schools don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Same in Castlebar

Dear Parents, Staff and Students,
    Red Alert wind warning for Mayo.
    I am sending out this message that we MAY close on Monday. Parents are advised to make provisional care arrangements.
    The current prediction is that Ophelia will hit Mayo at 9 am on Monday.
    There is still a high degree of uncertainty regarding the track and strength of the storm.
    I will update you at 5pm today.
    Regards,
    D Hyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live in Cork city beside a quay and need to drive to work at about 10.30am. Do I park my car on the quay where I always park it where it can sometimes flood? Means I’m in my car in minutes away so less time in storm..but could risk car being damaged. Or do I park it about a 10 minute walk away so it’s away from the river but means for walking for some time in the storm...

Or am I overthinking this.

My original plans was driving up from Killarney at 9.30am to Cork. Not doing that anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

What school is that for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Ninthlife wrote: »

New bridge in which county :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

naughto wrote: »
    What school is that for

Geralds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Stheno wrote: »
    If there is a red weather warning would people expect not to go to work?

Not expect but I suppose you’d have to use your own judgement in that case. If you have a bit of a commute on roads you don’t think are safe then I think it would be reasonable to stay home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kildare, everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

As someone who was in Florida last month during Irma I am showing a lot more concern for this than i usually would but I am in disbelief at the amount of people laughing about this and trying to make jokes about it by posting that meme with the chair blown over.

This is a serious situation and people need to cop on and realise it. My wife thinks I've gone mad running around buying torches and batteries. There is no way I'm sending my kids to school either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

My young lad isn't going to school regardless of if it closes or not, Hopefully more parents in affected areas will take the same approach even if there schools don't.

Keeping mine off too. Think the Dept of Education should be now taking more definitive action and instructing schools to close.

Advertisement