Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Power flickering here now in Rochestown area Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Getting scary here in the northside of Cork City. Wind is fierce and I can here to sound of items breaking outside.. Next door took nothing in. Raining now too. This is getting bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

sadie9 wrote: »
    If you were stranded in your workplace in Dublin. Might be an idea to go to the Airport, at least there is food and drink there and you could sleep if you had to! And the transport links will be open there first.
    It's very unfair on those who commuted into Dublin from other counties and now are stranded there by the services.

And how will they get there if they're stranded in work with no transport links? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Our lights keeps flickering in Cork city...hope the electricity doesn't go!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Power gone in north east meath and the storm hasnt reached us yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Alun wrote: »
    R116 and RNLI boat heading back to base now thank god.

just heard R116 passing over Rush about 5 minutes ago, so hopefully they are safely on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

https://twitter.com/FastnetLHouse

Gusts of 103 kts !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

so it has hit land in places ?

Any eye witness reports.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

We work in a car dealership on the northside of Dublin and we're all still here. There's been a few phonecalls that the whole group is closing at 12 but nobody wants to actually confirm it. It's getting ridiculous now.

The advice at this stage is to say where you are if you are indoors.

Should have just not went in. The Taoiseach confirmed people are covered by majeure leave. The Government advised people not to travel today no matter where you are. That gives cause for majeure leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We work in a car dealership on the northside of Dublin and we're all still here. There's been a few phonecalls that the whole group is closing at 12 but nobody wants to actually confirm it. It's getting ridiculous now.

have you had even one customer today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

I'm walking to the airport now from Leopardstown. Thanks.
    I cant stop laughing :-) btw, i do need to go to the airport from leopardstown to catch my flight at 15:50 pm. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

What is the best site for tracking the live image/location of Ophelia? I have nullschool at the mo.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

really starting to kick off in SE Clare now.

small branches flying off trees and gusts coming more regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

I just found the oil tank in the front garden. Getting slaughtered West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Really hitting Cork city now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can hear sirens and a helicopter out in Dublin, little west of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

lawred2 wrote: »
    have you had even one customer today?

Yep, service customers and a sales customer just walked in too.

I have to get home to the animals. Thankfully I'm 95% motorway so shouldn't have much trouble with downed trees or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

STB. wrote: »
    You are not the brightiest are you ? There are many that dont want to believe there is anything to worry about, inlcuding businesses that didnt heed the warnings and whose staff may now get stranded, manyof which are posting on this thread. It is the States responsibility to get the urgent emergency warnings out there. The NECC have made statements. If it takes the head of the country to underpin its seriousness, then so be it. He should have done it yesterday though even if it meant making it more difficult for businesses to forget their duty of care to their employees.

No I just take control of my own life I don't need the state to hold my hand at every juncture. There have been non stop warnings for days. If people can't take all that on board and communicate with their employers on an individual basis then there's not much else anyone else including the Taoiseach can do. If you think that approach is dim and you need your hand held by the Leader then off you go. People like you non stop looking for a new angle of blame, today it's the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Steviesol wrote: »
    I just found the oil tank in the front garden. Getting slaughtered West Cork

****ing hell it has hit land so.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Any live camera feeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Picking up here now in Shannon.
    Slowly getting up there .
    There’s 3 trampolines in neighbors gardens and a gazebo type thing.
    Should be fun. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thespoofer wrote: »
    What is the best site for tracking the live image/location of Ophelia? I have nullschool at the mo.
    Thanks

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.3;-6.2;4&l=wind

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep, service customers and a sales customer just walked in too.

I have to get home to the animals. Thankfully I'm 95% motorway so shouldn't have much trouble with downed trees or anything.

Your problem there will be crosswinds and debris regardless.

Be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭waterways

M3
    62092 16 Oct
    10:00 990.5 n/a 0 15.0 14.4 96 9.5 9.2 14.5

Wind speed 0? Is that the eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Saw a Dublin Bus just go by in North Dublin. Doesn't look like they stopped at 10

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tralee

Wind 10 min avg 47 km/h SE
    Gust 85 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Two lads are out in a garden behind trying to battle a trampoline and tie it down. Dangerous if it gets caught in a gust. East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

(Douglas, Cork)

We're getting hit pretty bad now.

Just saw someone drive up my park. GOB****ES

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

crashadder wrote: »
    I cant stop laughing :-) btw, i do need to go to the airport from leopardstown to catch my flight at 15:50 pm. :-)

Didn't realise all the Buses in Dublin stopped at 10am and the Luas is stopping from 2pm. Really sorry for all the people who made the effort to go to work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Saw a Dublin Bus just go by in North Dublin. Doesn't look like they stopped at 10

Probably not in service and heading back to the depot.

Advertisement