Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Getting gusty now in Mitchelstown. Can't be long before it gets here properly.
    Rain is my big worry as the garden has been washed away twice before.
    Are you getting much rain down south?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Is the storm moving at a slower pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Two lads are out in a garden behind trying to battle a trampoline and tie it down. Dangerous if it gets caught in a gust. East Cork.

They had the last 3 days to do that. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Neighbours glasshouse has smashed. I'd say my sky dish hasn't long left - keeps cutting out. I'm surrounded by trees that are swaying wildly. There seems to be fierce downdrafts and loads of leaves and twigs flying around. It was mild.this morning but feels cold now. Rain is getting worse. Major gust just there. Reports of power gone in Montenotte.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Cork - Little Island - Just outside City - Trees down on the main road through the island and these gusts are the strongest i can recall all the trees are bowing over during the gusts - its good that the conditions have been quite dry the last few weeks, there is good strength there in the roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

People in the sea reported swimming in salthill Galway. Going to be a fair few blips in the Darwin awards by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Really picking up in limerick city now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

sadie9 wrote: »
    Didn't realise all the Buses in Dublin stopped at 10am and the Luas is stopping from 2pm. Really sorry for all the people who made the effort to go to work :(

Luas stopped already since 11 ish
    People walking home now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Two lads are out in a garden behind trying to battle a trampoline and tie it down. Dangerous if it gets caught in a gust. East Cork.

Did they not know the storm was coming ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thespoofer wrote: »
    What is the best site for tracking the live image/location of Ophelia? I have nullschool at the mo.
    Thanks

This Ventusky site shows the current and predicted locations of the storm in an animated interface. What is clear from that is the strongest winds are to the east of the centre.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/919854359403552768 Shows the predicted path of the centre of the storm, aligns broadly to the Ventusky path.

So when the centre moves up the country towards Galway, the midlands and east coast will be getting serious winds. Hard to understand the reaction of the "sure it's grand right now, therefore there's no storm" mentality of so many here and elsewhere: just look at the Ventusky site and it's plain as day that it hasn't even started yet for most places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Donal55 wrote: »
    They had the last 3 days to do that. Clowns.

My neighbour hasnt touched theirs yet, morons the lot of them, ive taken several pictures in case it hops the fence and does damage on my side

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

ESB Powercheck map is great indicator of where the winds are moving to - now starting to see more outages in Tipp/Waterford direction

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

STB. wrote: »
    You are not the brightiest are you ? There are many that dont want to believe there is anything to worry about, inlcuding businesses that didnt heed the warnings and whose staff may now get stranded, manyof which are posting on this thread. It is the States responsibility to get the urgent emergency warnings out there. The NECC have made statements. If it takes the head of the country to underpin its seriousness, then so be it. He should have done it yesterday though even if it meant making it more difficult for businesses to forget their duty of care to their employees.
    No, it's Met Eireann's responsibility to warn us and they did.

I wouldn't trust Leo & Co to forecast that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Any more than I trusted Bertie and Co. to forecast the housing boom in the days of the Diseased Celtic Kitten, and boy, am I glad I trusted my own instincts!

Stop relying on the Nanny State to make every little decision for us ... our parents certainly bloody didn't, they had more sense!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Red Corvette

They really weren't wrong saying 12pm will be bad. It's fierce windy here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    Getting gusty now in Mitchelstown. Can't be long before it gets here properly.
    Rain is my big worry as the garden has been washed away twice before.
    Are you getting much rain down south?

Wind has got noticeably stronger in Tralee since 11 - not much rain yet, though, and thankfully power's still fine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    People in the sea reported swimming in salthill Galway. Going to be a fair few blips in the Darwin awards by the sounds of things.
    https://twitter.com/RyanCroal/status/919875160865468416

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭sully123

Its like Christmas day in Sanycove/Glasthule. Everybody is out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

My neighbour still has his bins and garden furniture out. idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Few gusts in north Dublin but haven't seen any pets flying outside the window

Yet...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Was Debbie a true hurricane when it hit Ireland in 1961?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The prom is being closed now in Galway City
    https://twitter.com/paraiccollins/status/919873092956114944

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

mitresize5 wrote: »
    really starting to kick off in SE Clare now.

small branches flying off trees and gusts coming more regularly.
    Im in the same area of Clare, getting very wild and going to get alot worse...oh boy !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Red Corvette

spookwoman wrote: »
    ]

Such idiots. Not only risking their own lives but the lives of people who has to rescue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

VinLieger wrote: »
    My neighbour hasnt touched theirs yet, morons the lot of them, ive taken several pictures in case it hops the fence and does damage on my side

Would you not just ask them?

I asked my neighbour a few hours ago if he'd mind taking down his trampoline and offered to give him a hand if he needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sadie9 wrote: »
    Didn't realise all the Buses in Dublin stopped at 10am and the Luas is stopping from 2pm. Really sorry for all the people who made the effort to go to work :(

Luas stopping at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

road_high wrote: »
    No I just take control of my own life I don't need the state to hold my hand at every juncture. There have been non stop warnings for days. If people can't take all that on board and communicate with their employers on an individual basis then there's not much else anyone else including the Taoiseach can do. If you think that approach is dim and you need your hand held by the Leader then off you go. People like you non stop looking for a new angle of blame, today it's the weather.

The state have reponsibility for emergency coordination. I think your expectations are dim. The "leader" is getting paid for those responsibilities and I expect him to step up to the mark. Now please feck off back to the political forum where people might give a flying banjo what you have to say. This is not about politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Pretty massive now Mahon, light flickered.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Cork

Either a million bins fell over somewhere or I just heard something like thunder.. which would be more likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Wind already seems very violent in Clonmel. It's already on par with how bad I remember it being in 2014. If this is just the start, I'm extremely concerned.

I think you're overreacting. I'm also in Clonmel.

Advertisement