Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Nice webcam in Strandhill.

All though on the west coast, it should get a fair whack later on.
    http://www.strandhillsurfschool.com/surf_forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

M8 now closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Worse I've ever seen here near Cork airport. No power since 8.30 and outside looks like one of them cyclones you see on CNN. Trees down in neighbours gardens and fence panels flying. Heard breaking glass about 10 mins ago. Don't underestimate this storm. Cork is getting hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

my sister near watergrasshill Cork, has lost some decking, a gas bottle and their garden fence is about to go.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Very stormy here now in Cork. Trees going down right outside. Some idiots are still driving around. I'm surprised the electricity hasn't gone yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

STB. wrote: »
    The state have reponsibility for emergency coordination. I think your expectations are dim. The "leader" is getting paid for those responsibilities and I expect him to step up to the mark. Now please feck off back to the political forum where people might give a flying banjo what you have to say. This is not about politics.

But yet you are banging on about the "Leader" and the state responsibilities :pac:
    Non stop warnings for days. Yet you want to focus on the Taoiseach instead. It's just bizarre.
    And no, I'll post where I like. I don't need to ask your permission to do so and call out your babyish tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This Ventusky site shows the current and predicted locations of the storm in an animated interface. What is clear from that is the strongest winds are to the east of the centre.

Really like the visuals and interface on Ventusky. Looks like we'll see the worst in Dublin from 2-5pm ish

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My dog is scratching and sniffing at the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

RoisinD wrote: »
    I understand these kite surfers are now safe 'Rescue 116 is tasked & airborne to kite surfers in distress Dundalk Bay' but what the helll were they thinking?
    Putting others lives at risk.

From reading other posts here I understand that Clogherhead RNLI was also tasked. I heard Rescue 116 passing over the house and I thought to myself that someone, such as a fishing boat crew were in trouble through no fault of their own but when I found out that there were a couple of people having 'fun' I was angry. Two teams of professionals put their lives on the line for a couple of clowns in line for this year's Darwin award. Unbelievable!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm wondering if Cork has been hit worse than Kerry which is where I am. I'm in a room with large windows looking out at it and while it's very gusty and blustery, so far it's no worse than previous bad storms and we sure are prone to them here in the south west. I have a clear view of a main road and am amazed at the number of cars shooting up and down. Not traffic like a normal day but a lot more than you'd expect on a day like today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

lawred2 wrote: »
    In a weird way I'm a teeny weeny bit disappointed that this is going to skirt Dublin as much as it seems to be..

Yeah all wind and gust tracking sites suggest Dublin will be hit hard with gusts up to 110km in places. Its not due to be really bad until between 1-4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

spookwoman wrote: »

Yeah two kayakers rescued off clogherhead as well. Mobilised the life boat and rescue helicopter. Some legends :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My husband's boss was doing his best to get people to stay: "I've a friend in Cork who says it's just a bit breezy", "Sure stay in the office until it dies down", "Everywhere else is closed today, we'll make a fortune". Talk about having total contempt for your employees. The company banded together and made the decision to go home. He wasn't too pleased. Knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Are we at the worst of it in Cork now, or is there still worse to come here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

When time will it be hitting Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

(South Dublin)

Just back from our morning walk.
    Wind getting up, but not yet at the same levels as Barney 2 years ago. Obviously that will change as the day goes on.
    Sea is big, waves are large but not extraordinary in themselves.
    The sea level is considerably higher than normal, I'd guess about 2m.
    Now to stay put for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

And if these people drowned should we give a fuck?

I wont lose sleep over stupidity.
    Yeah, we should, because they're people just like us.

But I'd be awful tempted to get them to shore and then bury my size 12s halfway up their arseholes for being stupid fking mutts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

titan18 wrote: »

Few more hours, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Getting gustier in east Galway
    Not long now .....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wind really picking up here in Wexford.

I can see the sea from my front door, wouldn't be going for a dip at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Totally wild in limerick now. Getting worse. Defiantly not a non event and it only getting started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Limerick picking up right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

titan18 wrote: »

Just about to reach land I think. Far from over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A nation holds it's breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Wind has picked up massively in D7 in the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Terribly windy in North Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I can't link the image here as I'm on mobile, but looking at the Ventusky graph, is there a danger of something else occurring towards the end of the week?

Looks like something else may be building based on that, but I admittedly do not have a clue how to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Any of these idiots surfing or swimming or whatever should do it off their own backs and if they get into trouble away with them.

Rescue people shouldn't have to risk their lives for idiots who brought it on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

waterways wrote: »
    M3
    62092 16 Oct
    10:00 990.5 n/a 0 15.0 14.4 96 9.5 9.2 14.5

Wind speed 0? Is that the eye?

Wind sensor fooked. Wouldn't be surprised if buoy breaks its mooring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Yep, service customers and a sales customer just walked in too.

I have to get home to the animals. Thankfully I'm 95% motorway so shouldn't have much trouble with downed trees or anything.

M8 is closed now

Advertisement