Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

STB. wrote: »
    The state have reponsibility for emergency coordination. I think your expectations are dim. The "leader" is getting paid for those responsibilities and I expect him to step up to the mark. Now please feck off back to the political forum where people might give a flying banjo what you have to say. This is not about politics.
    road_high wrote: »
    But yet you are banging on about the "Leader" and the state responsibilities :pac:
    Non stop warnings for days. Yet you want to focus on the Taoiseach instead. It's just bizarre.
    And no, I'll post where I like. I don't need to ask your permission to do so and call out your babyish tripe.

Mod Note

Cut out the bickering and take the political discussion to the Politics forum

Final warning!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

andreoilin wrote: »
    Wind has picked up massively in D7 in the last 10 minutes.

It's been pretty windy in Dublin 1 for over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

Any reports from Kenmare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Clonakilty being pummelled right now according to relatives. Power out and all sorts of debris flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

marvin80 wrote: »
    M8 is closed now

M50 will surely close soon - that toll bridge would be rather exposed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The day started of lovely where I am nice and sunny only starting to get windy now and its not really that bad yet. I have been out walking in worse. Am sure it will get worse.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Just took in the last of the washing (nearly dry); occurred to me that the rotary line might actually break or take off with the sheets. Garden furniture in/collapsed, clothes line ditto, bins into the garage. Keeping the windows closed. Not sure what else one can do 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Wexford harbour max gust to 11am 51.3knts. About 95kph?

430766.jpeg

8C303B32-334D-4632-886D-0309BFB1860F.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Was Debbie a true hurricane when it hit Irish shores in 1961?

Was it also an Ex-hurricane with hurricane force gusts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There is a small chance of a sting jet developing. If that happens there will be a rapid intensification in the affected areas.

Even though it might look calm or breezy, be aware that these winds can develop very quickly.

Nothing too wrong with walking around your garden to experience the wind during the quieter parts (obviously you should be very careful and watch out for debris,) but don't go far in case you need to seek shelter in a hurry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just back from a walk along the shore, with the dogs, near Spiddal.

Peak gust 61.5 kph on my handheld anemometer.

Sometimes dropping as low as 10 kph.

Definite squalls. The gust are arriving with the rain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Limerick City beginning to pick up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

marvin80 wrote: »
    M8 is closed now

I'm straight up the M1 to Dundalk. Oping we get let go soon enough now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

rosslare lifeboat tasked to a yacht with what i would describe as ''3 fcuking idiots aboard'' . yacht now in tow heading for rosslare.. never ceases to amaze me how stupid and inconsiderate people can be , its not as if it wasn't forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

101.9 gust just recorded in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Woke up this morning and thought that perhaps I needn't have bothered taking the 80cm satellite dish down yesterday. Very glad I did now. Tip Clare border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Seen a picture on Facebook of two lads heading in for a swim at dalkey...... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

rameire wrote: »
    my sister near watergrasshill Cork, has lost some decking, a gas bottle and their garden fence is about to go.

Good chance she'll find those things in Mayfield afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Many people reporting seeing a red sun...
    Apparently it's sand...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

anna080 wrote: »
    My dog is scratching and sniffing at the floor!

Same here, it is amazing that they can sense this stuff as it is still only a little breezy where I am so without knowing what was coming I wouldn't think anything of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Limerick....

was balmy and windy earlier on....after getting wilder now in the last twenty minutes or so...temperature has dropped a good bit too.

Power flickering in and out a bit....one fence panel gone so far....not looking forward to asking my idiot neighbour to pay for this one as I've replaced the previous 2 that broke. Having said that I'll be glad if that's my main issue in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

crushproof wrote: »
    Clonakilty being pummelled right now according to relatives. Power out and all sorts of debris flying around.

So near the coast it would get a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

cbreeze wrote: »
    From reading other posts here I understand that Clogherhead RNLI was also tasked. I heard Rescue 116 passing over the house and I thought to myself that someone, such as a fishing boat crew were in trouble through no fault of their own but when I found out that there were a couple of people having 'fun' I was angry. Two teams of professionals put their lives on the line for a couple of clowns in line for this year's Darwin award. Unbelievable!:mad:

People have known about this storm since Wednesday/Thursday - I'm sure fishing crews would also know, so to say a fishing boat were in trouble through no fault of their own would be incorrect. They would be equally irresponsible as the 2 surfers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

A nice gust just took out the bunting.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gardai closed every shop in Portarlington. Nothing open by 12noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Sunny and Windy in Ballina ... awaiting the battering later!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's been pretty windy in Dublin 1 for over an hour.

nothing whatsoever in Portmarnock now. Was a wee bit breezy earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Strong gusts in Cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

rosslare lifeboat tasked to a yacht with what i would describe as ''3 fcuking idiots aboard'' . yacht now in tow heading for rosslare.. never ceases to amaze me how stupid and inconsiderate people can be , its not as if it wasn't forecast

There should be a charge under a situation like that. Cost of fuel or something.
    You can see them on their way back in. Looks like the yacht was on the east coast.

430767.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

crushproof wrote:

I can confirm but think not as bad as it was. List of damage reports going down.

Advertisement