Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Red Corvette

Gonna make a cup of tea. Could be my last one. That is my last one for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Something went bang outside our place, don't know what it was but don't want to go outside to check

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Cianos wrote: »
    Anyone else have an odd craving for a few bottles of beer today for all of this :confused::pac:

Stocked up this morning :)

Breaking news: Unconfirmed reports of Tesco Tallaght running out of Dutch Gold and Goodfellas pizzas.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cnocbui wrote: »
    Woke up this morning and thought that perhaps I needn't have bothered taking the 80cm satellite dish down yesterday. Very glad I did now. Tip Clare border.

I have lost a couple ridge tiles now. N. Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's still very benign in Dublin

Getting rougher in dublin 15 stronger gusts sky had darkened from north. I think it’s the start of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

nothing major on Dingle peninsula tbh- is this over hyped

I hope so...have mobile home down there and fearing the worst. Still a bit to go I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Gonna make a cup of tea. Could be my last one. That is my last one for today.

We've got a couple of big Thermos flasks filled just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Cianos wrote:
    Anyone else have an odd craving for a few bottles of beer today for all of this

I went to Lidl earlier and it was like Holy Thursday and Christmas Eve rolled into one, then magnified by about 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Paully D wrote: »
    Are the people who claimed all was fine when it was relatively calm this morning starting to grasp the reality of the situation facing us now?

Squeaky bum time here near Tuam.

And thats just the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

22448496_10210111490772032_7903141330478138874_n.jpg?oh=9d3adb430f6ba227594f6339e537bd98&oe=5A3AA742

Greenhills Court, Douglas - cars are blocked off now (that's the entrance)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

LastLagoon wrote: »
    There was people posting yesterday saying their dogs wouldn’t go out.full of it

Stay safe ..RTE just said the north hasnt even experienced anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

something went bang outside the house. i'm honestly afraid to look right now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's still very benign in Dublin

Because it hasn't come near Dublin yet........

I dunno why people find it so difficult to grasp the timelines and variables involved here with all the official information and notifications available.

Sometimes, there's no helping people.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

ellieh1 wrote: »
    ESB Powercheck website seems down...is it the same for anyone else??

25ssq2x.png

Faults moving north as the storm moves north.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Electricity gone in north kilkenny. Heavy winds for the last hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

F**kin hell. South tipp getting a battering here.

Electric gone.

Gusts absolutely terrifying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Red Corvette

We've got a couple of big Thermos flasks filled just in case.

I didn't think about flasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The two people that got into difficulty wind-surfing up in the north, and the people spotted swimming in Galway deserve Darwin Awards.

Potentially putting the lives of emergency services at risk for nonsense.

Some people.....

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

any Kerry web cam links?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Getting rough now in North Kildare!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Very very gusty here. Id put it a lot worse than our normal winter storm wind wise but not as bad as Feb 2014. Power is on and is find occasional showers but just to repeat very very windy and gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Tree down near me. Dromcollogher Co.Limerick

Power gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Getting bad in east Limerick now, strong gusts, still have power so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

ellieh1 wrote: »
    ESB Powercheck website seems down...is it the same for anyone else??
    I can't get it either.

Cianos wrote: »
    Anyone else have an odd craving for a few bottles of beer today for all of this :confused::pac:

Did you not do your hurricane prep? Ive candles, a new torch, the bath is full of water, 2 thermos flasks with boiling water, enough Koka noodles to sink a ship, a fridge full of beer and a bottle of Jemmie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kippy wrote: »
    Because it hasn't come near Dublin yet........

I dunno why people find it so difficult to grasp the timelines and variables involved here with all the official information and notifications available.

Sometimes, there's no helping people.

I am well aware of the timelines you boor...

I'm not a storm denier if that's what you were thinking.

Agreed however, there's certainly no helping people's manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    He should have made it last night and advised corporate companies to tell staff to stay at home . I know two banks that brought staff in at 8 am and sent them home at 10 am .

Government can't advise/order private businesses what to do. Most of decent businesses are closed now and advised people to work from home if possible. Our whole campus is closed off and people were notified Sunday evening.
    There were warnings, there was lots of preparation, not sure what the Government should have done more. Move the island somewhere else to wait the hurricane out? They closed the schools and cancelled all unnecessary services. If some employers decided to keep the people in because they wanted to, the employees need to think about how much their employers appreciate their lives and safety, not look at the Government.
    I found the way we were informed sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

mdwexford wrote: »
    Any of these idiots surfing or swimming or whatever should do it off their own backs and if they get into trouble away with them.

Rescue people shouldn't have to risk their lives for idiots who brought it on themselves.

Sadly won't be the last idiots, just wait for the youtube videos from the "sure we're great craic" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I'm in Laois.

Not bad at all for now. But seen post about it being bad in Kilkenny & Carlow.

I'm hoping I can escape it or maybe it will start here soon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There have been 3 rnli callouts this morning!

Advertisement