Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I can't do a link but as someone said CNN website is interesting regarding The Big O. I don't think I could be much more nervous about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can anyone remember what category Darwin was before it hit ireland ? a tropical storm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm a teacher. Nothing but a red warning for Dublin will cause my principal to close the school. I am concerned as to how the building will hold up as it's due a new roof and we have hundreds of leaks. Windows have broken in storms before. The students all live within walking distance (it's in the middle of dozens of council estates) but most staff commute from Laois/Offaly/Louth/Westmeath. I am one of very few living nearby so I will walk in. I'm worried about the impact later in the day and then everyone getting home safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Living in Limerick city centre, going to be keeping track of this during the day and if it's keeps up the way it's going the car will be going into a multi-storey car park for the night and for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭sjb25

That's everything in out of the garden that's loose firelighters and briquettes picked up car filled with diesel and a spare bottle of gas in the shead and packet of battery's should be sorted now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As someone who was in Florida last month during Irma I am showing a lot more concern for this than i usually would but I am in disbelief at the amount of people laughing about this and trying to make jokes about it by posting that meme with the chair blown over.

This is a serious situation and people need to cop on and realise it. My wife thinks I've gone mad running around buying torches and batteries. There is no way I'm sending my kids to school either.

1 guy made a smart remark in the Tesco yest along the lines of "shure, my phone has a light on it"...eh yeah...until it runs out of battery that is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

flaneur wrote: »
    I know speaking to Americans living here they’re absolutely shocked at how we seem to be doing noting except assuming it’ll just fizzle out.

I can well imagine their mystification :o

Unfortunately our National Psyche is built around a core principle of never being the first one to make a concrete decision,or take direct action on any given issue.

We drive as we vote,sticking to the middle lane or white line,never moving too far to either side,which leaves us with some interesting Driving Scenario's,never mind Political ones.

As for this "Emergency",which has been a steadily developing threat for the past week,the essential element for the National Emergency Committee will be to consider and debate upon how little to do,rather than initiate any large scale co-ordinated response...which might set a precedent.

All these oul County Councillors,City & County Managers,with their accountancy degrees and fingers in various Auctioneering and Property Development businesses,are looking at the longer game,with none of them wanting to be the first to jump,and sanction SPENDING on stuff that might benefit people in times of emergency.

Most of these lads would be less worried about the Storm itself,than the danger of them setting a precedent for future weather events.;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

sjb25 wrote: »
    That's everything in out of the garden that's loose firelighters and briquettes picked up car filled with diesel and a spare bottle of gas in the shead and packet of battery's should be sorted now

But will the shed still be there on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I live in Cork city beside a quay and need to drive to work at about 10.30am. Do I park my car on the quay where I always park it where it can sometimes flood? Means I’m in my car in minutes away so less time in storm..but could risk car being damaged. Or do I park it about a 10 minute walk away so it’s away from the river but means for walking for some time in the storm...

Or am I overthinking this.

My original plans was driving up from Killarney at 9.30am to Cork. Not doing that anymore!

If that quay tends to flood I'd be parking elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

If that quay tends to flood I'd be parking elsewhere

Very rarely floods. Not as bad as the other ones. But think I will park further uphill alright. Would just be worried otherwise. Guessing I won’t be getting any parking tickets tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'm a teacher. Nothing but a red warning for Dublin will cause my principal to close the school.

And rightly so, he's following the correct procedure. Dublin tends to gets a couple of orange wind warnings every winter.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dublin gets a Red later. Some of the model scenarios look as bad for Dublin as anywhere else.

People mentioning BBQ for cooking, just remember to disconnect gas bottles from the BBQ before the storm. You don't want the rubber pipe getting ripped from the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Wonder if UCD will do anything, have a lab tomorrow afternoon I can't miss and don't fancy the commute from Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Am I right in thinking Waterford will mostly experience a good bit of rain and some heavy but nothing beyond 60-70km winds? With some stronger gusts possibly?

Looking at where the centre is due to be and how it seems to be tracking, landfall on the southwest coast and tracking north east toward Donegal?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I live in Cork city beside a quay and need to drive to work at about 10.30am. Do I park my car on the quay where I always park it where it can sometimes flood? Means I’m in my car in minutes away so less time in storm..but could risk car being damaged. Or do I park it about a 10 minute walk away so it’s away from the river but means for walking for some time in the storm...

Or am I overthinking this.

My original plans was driving up from Killarney at 9.30am to Cork. Not doing that anymore!

I'd be dubious parking it on the quays (and the quays may even get closed off). Cork has improved regarding flooding, but it's not been tested like this since the improvements were made. My instinct would be to park it in a more sheltered area.

Bear in mind though that the worst of the storm may be hitting around 5PM too, so that should factor in - and while it makes the walk longer (plus risk of flying slates), parking on the quay could risk someone walking to their car getting blown into the water, knowing how open most of the quays in Cork are, especially on the south-centre side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

dcfc91 wrote: »
    Living in Limerick city centre, going to be keeping track of this during the day and if it's keeps up the way it's going the car will be going into a multi-storey car park for the night and for tomorrow.

What way is it expected to be in Limerick? I know we have the orange warning and I certainly remember storm Darwin was way more severe here than expected as the wind seemed to track up the Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    And rightly so, he's following the correct procedure. Dublin tends to gets a couple of orange wind warnings every winter.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dublin gets a Red later. Some of the model scenarios look as bad for Dublin as anywhere

Yes of course we should follow correct procedure. I do not think we should close without a red warning. My worry in looking at the models is that a red warning will be announced very late, or in the middle of everything tomorrow - too late to follow correct procedure to close the school or with us left trying to ensure the safety of everyone getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can someone link a website where I can find preparing for Ophelia?

Am I right in thinking Waterford will mostly experience a good bit of rain and some heavy but nothing beyond 60-70km winds? With some stronger gusts possibly?

Looking at where the centre is due to be and how it seems to be tracking, landfall on the southwest coast and tracking north east toward Donegal?

I'd be nervous in Waterford. The eye isn't the strongest part, especially on a south-north track like it is. It's the wind-wall on the right-hand side that's the most dangerous part with the strongest gusting winds. At the moment, it -looks- like the eye is going to trundle over west of Galway (about where I am actually!), which puts the most damaging winds to the east of it, hitting Cork/Waterford/Wexford and swooping up the Irish sea.

However, still caveats on that, the models aren't quite aligned, so there could be some variation still. East of the eye, be prepared for a bad night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

As someone who was in Florida last month during Irma I am showing a lot more concern for this than i usually would but I am in disbelief at the amount of people laughing about this and trying to make jokes about it by posting that meme with the chair blown over.

This is a serious situation and people need to cop on and realise it. My wife thinks I've gone mad running around buying torches and batteries. There is no way I'm sending my kids to school either.

There is a fécking hurricane coming towards us, I know officially it will be a tropical storm when it gets here but that just makes things worse because people aren't taking it seriously. It will still have wind speeds of a cat 2 hurricane. So yes, a hurricane is coming at us and I guarantee there will be people out and about. Tenso of thousands of cars on the road when it hits at rush hour. I'm genuinely worried people don't understand. I can completely see why Americans are bewildered by our blasé attitude. Irma was only one cat above when it hit Florida and everyone was prepared and indoors.

*Extratropical storm, I think.

That changing of the system in shape is a bit misleading in terms of preparation. We can all get behind "hurricane = oh sh*t", but then it changes to "extratropical storm" and people go "oh right, one of them things, we get them every year, be grand..."

I think it is due to drop to a Cat 1 before it hits land, but it seems to have been slower in slackening off than expected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Mrself

Does anyone have an idea of time frame? What time this is expected to hit the country and when it will pass? Im in Dublin but considering keeping kids home from school

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

PLL wrote: »
    There is a fécking hurricane coming towards us, I know officially it will be a tropical storm when it gets here but that just makes things worse because people aren't taking it seriously. It will still have wind speeds of a cat 2 hurricane. So yes, a hurricane is coming at us and I guarantee there will be people out and about. Tenso of thousands of cars on the road when it hits at rush hour. I'm genuinely worried people don't understand. I can completely see why Americans are bewildered by our blasé attitude. Irma was only one cat above when it hit Florida and everyone was prepared and indoors.

The multi national companies which many of the Irish work force work for, don't expect weather to disrupt production in a country like Ireland so they'll be expecting output as usual on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Mrself wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea of time frame? What time this is expected to hit the country and when it will pass? Im in Dublin but considering keeping kids home from school

Dublin will be worst from early afternoon to late evening. i.e. schools will be ok in the morning but home time could be bad,

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can someone link a website where I can find preparing for Ophelia?

First page of this thread, post #3

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104966245&postcount=3

and post #4
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104966409&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Joanna donnelly "trees in caribbean are palm,bend in the wind. not oak,chestnut ash....our trees dont bend.....Prepare for storm".

also finally on rte1 radio news, its the main news. farming weather is the one to watch just after 1pm on Rte1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

This might be useful for people in some counties:

https://www.mapalerter.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I'm based in louth, so I'm not sure what the impact here will be, but nonetheless, I have candles/water/non-perishables in, powerbanks charging up for phones, and duct tape to tape up the heavy bin lids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

1st item on red fm news in cork is T.D. pad Buckley talking about bed closures
    2nd story about donal cusack

You couldn’t make this up.,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I take it that there will be no departures from Dublin tomorrow evening then by the looks of it.

• Advertisement

Just chucked 20 euro into the car, bought batteries for radio, bought camping lantern for light (those LEDs are hideous but better than the dark!), will top up phone charge and credit last thing evening. Will also make a big sausage roll for tomorrows tea if needed (hell I'll eat it anyway!)

Shine the LED lamp through the bottom of a bottle of water and it'll scatter the beam into a lantern

The light over powers the camera in video but you get a wide soft light. Much better than the beam

Advertisement