Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Still very calm in Dublin. Doesn't seem to have warranted a red level warning here. Better safe than sorry i suppose.

careful now - someone will be along in a minute to lecture you about timelines and that you're beyond help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Power gone in Glanmire cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

mdwexford wrote: »
    Any of these idiots surfing or swimming or whatever should do it off their own backs and if they get into trouble away with them.

Rescue people shouldn't have to risk their lives for idiots who brought it on themselves.

As someone who is a Search and Rescue volunteer, this is not the attitude we take. Our mission is to save lives, no matter how they got into trouble. We don't take a call or shout and go "Na, sure they deserve it. Shur didn't they swim out there themselves"

Unfortunately, people will take stupid risks and put us at great danger in conditions like today at sea but no persons life is not worth saving when they call to for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I seem to be getting some strong gusts directly from the south at the moment, the lights are flickering but so far the only fatalities are my sunflowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

FYP. How much would a plumber charge you to come out today? Thats the sort of bill these tits should get.

They should be made to do a year's worth of water safety training at their own expense

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Boater123 wrote: »
    Wasn't taking this too seriously 'til now but the immensity of it all just dawned on me when I heard the most worry news.............Lidl closed.......Lidl never closes:)
    penneys closed! Once I heard this this morning I knew we were in trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My scout training kicked in and I put my wine in the freezer earlier in case we lose the power later. Couldn't be drinking it warm, we're not total savages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Seems like quite a few power outages here in Kilkenny. We're still up. Most shops and even McDonalds closed. Wind is bad but not as bad as I expected. Course, it's early yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Getting lively in West Limerck!! Lots of squally showers. Some strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Still very calm in Dublin. Doesn't seem to have warranted a red level warning here. Better safe than sorry i suppose.

That's only because it's not that far north yet. Wait a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Highest gust in Galway for my location so far 55 mph cant attach picture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

At the moment I'm just caring about the bunting on the Waterford livecam. HANG IN THERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Getting bad in Tramore now, Max gust so far seems to be around 95km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Starting to get rough in Waterford where I am, few fences blown down etc. Debris flying and still eejits out tying down trampolines at this stage!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its not even near Dublin yet . Only hitting Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

lawred2 wrote: »
    careful now - someone will be along in a minute to lecture you about timelines and that you're beyond help.

No need to get knickers in a twist because it's difficult to read a clock....

Its no where near Dublin till after 2pm.

Anyone making declarations before then should keep stum

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Over 700 individual ESB poles down already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Burial. wrote: »
    Probably jinxing myself bad here but it's after calming down a tad here in Cork.

There is a saying about his period what is it again, tranquility before the tempest or something :S:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like Dublin will experience the worst its (Dublin) going to get at about 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Starting to get rough in Waterford where I am, few fences blown down etc. Debris flying and still eejits out tying down trampolines at this stage!

Rte said a tree had fallen on a car in west Waterford, 2 injured?. No further updates though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

109km gust just measured in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I was a big fan of this hurricane as it got me the day off work. But I just heard my favorite tv show, “Elaine” on tv3 has been cancelled today to show live storm coverage, now I am mad. And there isn’t even any feckin storm here in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

Did I see people out surfing on RTE news

Absolute lunatics

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

150,000 without power.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Over 700 individual ESB poles down already
    That's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Seems like A LOT of people have gone to work today. A friend working in IT support is run off his feet logging typical Monday morning calls along with taking precautions against power surges.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

listermint wrote: »
    No need to get knickers in a twist because it's difficult to read a clock....

Its no where near Dublin till after 2pm.

Anyone making declarations before then should keep stum

give over - nobody is making declarations whatever those are supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wind is picking up here in West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,976 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OSI wrote: »
    Currently sitting in Raheny watching the trees outside falling apart and multiple large objects get blown down the street.

That'd mad - calm and quiet in Ballnteer now.
    Nabber wrote: »
    Nice webcam in Strandhill.

All though on the west coast, it should get a fair whack later on.
    http://www.strandhillsurfschool.com/surf_forecast

And lots of people out for a nice walk on the beach to have a goo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My scout training kicked in and I put my wine in the freezer earlier in case we lose the power later. Couldn't be drinking it warm, we're not total savages...
    If you put red wine in the freezer, I'm pretending I don't know you ...

Advertisement