Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Burial. wrote: »
    Probably jinxing myself bad here but it's after calming down a tad here in Cork.

It is in its hole.

It's getting much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Just after losing a good shot of slates off the roof, gutters have been ripped off and theres not much left of the glasshouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Great day to surf

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Not sure of the general mood here but it's honestly very frightening here in Kerry, you can see and hear trees breaking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Still have power in Cork city, amazingly, but I reckon that can't last much longer. Nor will those poor trees in front of my house, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Getting rougher in dublin 15 stronger gusts sky had darkened from north.

Kids are being evacuated to their own homes from my make shift creche I've had in place since this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

live from Dingle - relatively calm

Quite likely you're in the eye of the storm. Strongest winds are going to be to the east of you - that's why Cork, Tipp, Waterford are getting hammered at moment. Will start to spread up the South East & East coasts in next few hours and up through the country.

People need to remember the effects will be localised due to timing (as the storm moves north) & localised due to impacts with some parts not seeing anything major. Given South East/East generally don't get these strong winds from this direction would expect to see lots of trees down and power outages.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Particularly strong gust has just taken some roof tiles with it - in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Munster is still going to be being hit strongly for a couple of hours. Once the wind direction changes, the sustained winds will start to calm down (but gusts will still be a risk). - according to RTE just there

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Still very calm in Dublin. Doesn't seem to have warranted a red level warning here. Better safe than sorry i suppose.

How many times do ppl need to be told? It’s not here yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Reati wrote: »
    As someone who is a Search and Rescue volunteer, this is not the attitude we take. Our mission is to save lives, no matter how they got into trouble. We don't take a call or shout and go "Na, sure they deserve it. Shur didn't they swim out there themselves"

Unfortunately, people will take stupid risks and put us at great danger in conditions like today at sea but no persons life is not worth saving when they call to for help.

And fair play to you but that will be little comfort to your family if something happens to you due to some knobhead swimming in a hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Lumen wrote: »

Duct tape should work. Just make sure the door is tight when taped and around the 4 edges are sealed - once the wind cannot get back in behind the door it should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It's actually getting very bright here in south Kerry in the last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

lawred2 wrote: »
    give over - nobody is making declarations whatever those are supposed to be.

I don't know.... I suppose like saying no need to declare red alert.

You do get the term declaration, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

Wait until this hits Dublin. The internet will go into meltdown mode

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But I just heard my favorite tv show, “Elaine” on tv3 has been cancelled today to show live storm coverage, now I am mad.
    Um, you sure that "man" bit in the username is accurate? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Burial. wrote: »
    Probably jinxing myself bad here but it's after calming down a tad here in Cork.

The wind is howling down the chimney in my house. Southside of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Still absolutely treacherous here in Cork. Had to tape my letterbox down because I thought it was gonna blow off.

I live on a main road and the amount of cars passing on a minutely basis is absolutely mind boggling.
    Nowhere near as busy as it normally is but still has cars regularly passing through.
    I've seen pics of many fallen trees in the vicinity and debris everywhere.

Also saw a post on fb a few minutes ago, someone looking for their lost dog who escaped from the garden today. Absolutely f*cking fuming.
    The dog was obviously left out there in the storm because if he had just been left out for a quick wee, they would have noticed him escaping. It's actually infuriating!!!!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My scout training kicked in and I put my wine in the freezer earlier in case we lose the power later. Couldn't be drinking it warm, we're not total savages...
    You'll be very annoyed if it freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just outside Tralee and it isnt too bad, gusty with a bit of rain. Is it going to get worse? hopefully not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Terrible in Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

C__MC wrote: »
    Did I see people out surfing on RTE news

Absolute lunatics

Yeah 2 people got into difficulty at blackrock

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/home/276434/two-kite-surfers-in-difficulty-in-blackrock.html

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

great site and far superior graphics / information / animations compared to rte & met eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Power was out since 8am so had no tv/radio /Internet until now. Is it as bad as anticipated?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

listermint wrote: »
    I don't know.... I suppose like saying no need to declare red alert.

You do get the term declaration, surely?

Well I haven't for once said such a thing that so why quote me?

Take up your issues with whomever posted that eh!?

You get that surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Gerry Murphy looks absolutely shattered on RTE news. Clearly pulled an all nighter in the Met Eireann office.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Pressure falling fast in Ennis. Its at 977 now, was 983 only 20 minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Cork city south v. bad wind- not just gusts now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Not sure of the general mood here but it's honestly very frightening here in Kerry, you can see and hear trees breaking off.

Where are you? Power out in Waterville but I wouldnt describe it as the worst weather we've had. No doubt it will get worse later on. Lots of short bursts of wind and then nothing for a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Power was out since 8am so had no tv/radio /Internet until now. Is it as bad as anticipated?

It's been pretty bad in Cork, sounds like a lot of damage, and they've got about another two hours of high wind. Over 100,000 without power already. Also sounds like it was rough in Kerry, but there's less reports so far. Waterford is getting hit fairly strongly at the moment, along with Tipp, south Kilkenny. Dublin and Galway seem to be feeling the outer gusts currently.

Advertisement