Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Top "blogger " Joane Larby aka Make Up Fairy put up some snaps there a short while ago of her and her family and her boyfriend's Dad out dancing and doing exercises on a wall in West Cork midst storm. This girl has a huge following and is an "influencer " and there she is, showing no respect to the seriousness of the weather and the weather warnings and putting it out there for all her followers to see. The Happy Pear are getting backlash on social media for going for a swim this morning before the storm. I don't see how Miss Larbys antics are any less irresponsible. Disgraceful behaviour and example to be setting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RIP to that person who died in Waterford :(.

But seriously, I thought Storm Darwin from February 2014 was much more severe than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Donal55 wrote: »
    Niece getting induced as we speak.
    Can't think of any names if its a girl??

Gail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

just an FYI folks .....an FYI

an FYI that it's "game over" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

just an FYI folks .....an FYI

Then dont pronounce game over.....

Keep it factual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Roof of the Derrynane Rd stand in Turners Cross has collasped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Completely aware that this is just starting here now but I am in Trim surrounded by 300 year old townhouses first gusts hit 5 minutes ago and a couple of tiles from next door have already landed in the Garden

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Wind Map (10:00)...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-11.30,53.45,3000/loc=-8.995,50.369

120kph off south coast.

Update on this due shortly...

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    What direction is that camera pointing?

South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

_Dara_ wrote: »
    First fatality. :( Tree fell on a car in Waterford. Hope we get no more ghouls on this thread saying that it's not a "real" storm.

RIP.

To be fair, a ghoul would be hoping there are deaths in order to prove they were right about the ferocity of the storm. Those people exist too.

RIP to the poor woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am feeling very nervous here in Dublin. On my own today, no one about, neighbours have asked me to go into them if I wish. How kind of them.

Am going to lower the blinds and stick on the remote headphones and hope for the best.

I've done all I can, garden cleared, but am worried about the fencing on my side. What can I do? Not much except wait it out.

I'm a wuss but I am very scared of what's to come here.

Very sad about the fatality in Waterford. Shows how dangerous things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Winds have really picked up here in North Tipperary. Looking out my window and there is debre everywhere and the trees are bending in the storm force winds. It really seems to be getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭road_high

To be fair, a ghoul would be hoping there are deaths in order to prove they were right about the ferocity of the storm. Those people exist too.

RIP to the poor woman.

Just devastating, I'm so sorry to hear this. I knew it was serious by the way Damien Tiernan was speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Beautiful calm sunny day here in Dingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Peak wind gust Waterford City (Micks station)

Today: 109.3 km/h 12:27

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

122kph gust at Waterford airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Am feeling very nervous here in Dublin. On my own today, no one about, neighbours have asked me to go into them if I wish. How kind of them.

Am going to lower the blinds and stick on the remote headphones and hope for the best.

I've done all I can, garden cleared, but am worried about the fencing on my side. What can I do? Not much except wait it out.

stay indoors - you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Reports from East Cork many trees down, minor roads blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

After some strong wind and rain from about 9a.m. till 11, here on the Dingle Peninsula the rain & wind have died out and the sun's come out a bit. There's even a big rainbow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

22449954_1472258302856174_3039529042542450079_n.jpg?oh=01e1bda134d285f79727f71637d8e3a4&oe=5A7A68EA

Douglas Community School PE hall's roof in someone else's garden it seems :o

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

stick on the remote headphones and hope for the best

That might not be the best idea, it would be good to be aware of your surroundings and able to hear things when things might go wrong.

cbreeze wrote: »
    From reading other posts here I understand that Clogherhead RNLI was also tasked. I heard Rescue 116 passing over the house and I thought to myself that someone, such as a fishing boat crew were in trouble through no fault of their own but when I found out that there were a couple of people having 'fun' I was angry. Two teams of professionals put their lives on the line for a couple of clowns in line for this year's Darwin award. Unbelievable!:mad:

It's very frustrating and disappointing to read about these incidents. We all talk about the good people who work in the rescue services, and I can put a face to one of those good people - A close friend volunteers on the river rescue in the locality of Clogherhead. Never mind that he's my friend, that's not important, it just affords me the knowledge that this good, hard-working man is a father to two young boys who look up to him like there is no one else in the world. They have a great mother too of course, and there's no one like her, but the boys are in full dad-idol mode at the moment as young boys can be for a phase.

He's had a few testing times out on the waters already since he joined the rescue. It's dangerous work even in the calmest conditions. If he had to go and those young boys lost their father, I'd hope that it would be for someone who didn't blatantly ignore the red weather warning just for the lols.

These people who do this, I honestly believe that they don't see the bigger picture. Either that or they have Type-A Assumed Invincibility Disorder (it's real, trust me, don't look it up :o).

In choosing to go out there, they might just be in their own world and not thinking of emergency personnel - "Yeah it's wild out there, but sure I'm a big boy/girl and I'll only hurt myself if anything happens". Or worse...

"Bad things only happen to other people, I'm grand." Or even worse...

"Sure isn't that the reason we have a coast guard in the first place?"

Very frustrating. But I started my day by seeing a gif of a skateboarding teenager set himself on fire without an extinguishing source nearby to attempt a stunt. It ended well in that he didn't die or get badly burnt, but part of me inside might have done having watched it.

Disappoint and frustrate me - yes, but some eejits kite-surfing on an Irish beach today does not surprise me in the slightest. Unfortunately.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My husband's boss was doing his best to get people to stay: "I've a friend in Cork who says it's just a bit breezy", "Sure stay in the office until it dies down", "Everywhere else is closed today, we'll make a fortune". Talk about having total contempt for your employees. The company banded together and made the decision to go home. He wasn't too pleased. Knob.

The storm is centre-story here, but like any major story there will be lots of offshoots and smaller details to review in the aftermath and lessons to learn.

For me, one of those things already is a clear snapshot into the mindset of some employers and just what they think of their staff vs money. This has been an unprecedented event for us in terms of advanced and high warning, and some of the reports of employer/company responses have left a lot to be desired in terms of how they view and value their employees. It's been more about how they view and value that sacred bottom line.

For example, this was a post earlier in the thread...
    I just heard from a mate who has been instructed by his boss to wait until 8:45 and then issue a company wide text to people to not to come in. He says they chose that time because 90% of staff will be at work at 8:30 and it covers them in case anything happens.
    Sneaky, sneaky.
    The story of your husband adds to a growing pile. Good on him and his co-workers for making a stand.

That said, there are many good stories in the thread about companies giving their workers advanced notice of a day off, fair play to them for acting like humans. It's been mentioned elsewhere, but today is a day you find out who are the "really good companies to work for".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Absolutely a non event here in west Kerry so far .... few minor gusts short period of heavy rain... Calm here now with the sun shining

looking the short range nothing major will happen here

This event so far doesn't even comes close to Darwin, Which is a nice birthday present ... keep you posted, stay safe all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Maybe it would be better if you went into the neighbours as it might take the edge off the afternoon. I think anyone would help anyone out today, social boundaries etc. don't count at times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Throwing on a few chicken wings and croquettes for myself, the missus and the dogs, in case the electricity goes out

Don't want to be left without a Last Meal if the **** really hits the fan :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Speak Now wrote: »
    122kph gust at Waterford airport.

165 kph gusts in Cork according to Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

pad199207 wrote: »
    Power just went in Naas

Where abouts in Naas? I’m in Sallins. Power still here so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Igotadose wrote: »
    After some strong wind and rain from about 9a.m. till 11, here on the Dingle Peninsula the rain & wind have died out and the sun's come out a bit. There's even a big rainbow.

Could be because you're in the eye of the storm at the moment, things could pick up again once the eye travels on.

Advertisement