Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

not trying to be inflammatory but we need to have a national/global discussion about this type of hype and mass hysteria that's now part of day to day life- nuclear wars and global warming and hurricanes - much worse in Feb 2014 ; it really has gone too far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

if someone wants to know how is Dublin, is all goooood

Webcam in Temple Bar

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Really wishing that large tree near my apartment didnt exist right now

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Cork folks - it seems to be at a constant severity right now - is this going to get worse? Bad enough as it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Couple of house shaking gusts in Newbridge now , along with some strong sustained winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Bloody eejits out in Salthill, are people for real

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Absolute fcuking knobs on the news ignoring the weather warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That fracking stingjet better stay the frack away from my greenhouse.

Yes I finally finished watching Battlestar Galactica last night :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

sryanbruen wrote: »
    RIP to that person who died in Waterford :(.

But seriously, I thought Storm Darwin from February 2014 was much more severe than this.

I'd say today will end up just as bad by the time its all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Part of turner's cross stadium has collapsed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

not trying to be inflammatory but we need to have a national/global discussion about this type of hype and mass hysteria that's now part of day to day life- nuclear wars and global warming and hurricanes - much worse in Feb 2014 ; it really has gone too far

Come to Cork City, change your mind fast then

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Lamp post outside is moving about quite a bit here in the outskirts of Limerick city....getting scary now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Wind picking up properly in South Dublin now.

same in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

titan18 wrote: »

Storm Darwin brought 25m waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Electricity out on the north side of cork city.

Still have power in the Camden Court/Camden Wharf area for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Wait till its over before commenting like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Might be in your location but as bad and worse in many places including at my station Darwin was 109kmh I have alread hit 114kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Calmed way down in cork city.....id say we're over the worst thank goodness and we still have power

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Live from North County Dublin https://youtu.be/Nxpxj8v4UEQ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wind has just picked up in West Dublin. Think it's starting to rain too....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just in case you missed M.T. Cranium's 1pm update

(And you should subscribe to his thread, if you haven't already)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104988156#post104988156

UPDATE __ Monday 16 October 2017 __ 1:00 p.m.

Post-tropical Ophelia made a brief landfall on outer Kerry peninsulas around 1215h and centre (959 mb) is now moving north from near Valentia towards Clare coast for another landfall near Clifden in west Galway. It will also pass near or over the Aran Islands.

A detail that I wanted to underscore for west coast readers especially from Tralee north to Galway is that extreme westerly winds 130-170 km/hr may develop shortly after the passage of the low centre between 1:30 pm and 3:30 pm. These may be stronger than any winds that occurred in the southeasterly phase before the centre arrived. Violent gusts could cause some structural damage and beach debris could become a hazard in some places (thinking of Lahinch for example). This cycle of the storm will probably begin to lose intensity just about when it reaches Galway so would predict 100-150 km/hr winds there around 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Otherwise, note that extremely strong south winds have hit the central south coast already and will make rapid progress inland, peak winds should occur soon in the midlands. Watching radar for any signs of local tornadic wind streaks.

More updates may follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Wind beginning to pick up outside sligo
    Very gusty, all in the last ten minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Can't express strongly enough my thanks to you guys and ME for calling red. Have never seen anything to sustained winds. No let up here for hours. Doneraile, north cork. Pressure is at 964 and still dropping.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just because it’s not bad in your back garden now doesn’t mean it’s not bad elsewhere .

Very hard to call an event when it has not even touched most parts of the country yet

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭j timber

Power gone here in laois/Kilkenny border. The gusts have really increased in the last few minutes. We have a big South facing window and I can't see it lasting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

So do nothing and let everyone carry on as normal? One person has died already god knows what it would be like if everyone carried on like nothing was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Augme

I think a national global discussion about stupid posts and opinions like this is more needed. Maybe something along of the lines of "Should these people be allowed to have children and pass on their genes?" No would be my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

titan18 wrote: »
    this facebook is one long list of carnage and road blockages
    https://www.facebook.com/GardaCheckpointsCork/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

First death. A woman in Waterford crushed in her car by a tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

Excellent news!

Christ knows it's not often we get the luck, as anyone actually born there knows.

So why are you belly-aching, Mr Straffan?

I'm not belly aching but I'm not a fan of this mass hysteria and culture of fear that's part of day to day life- I don't buy it and it's not just hurricanes - just my opinion

Advertisement