Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

not trying to be inflammatory...
    Ofc not, not an agenda in sight ... ;)
    I'm not belly aching but I'm not a fan of this mass hysteria and culture of fear that's part of day to day life- I don't buy it and it's not just hurricanes - just my opinion
    Yanno, I'm far from a fan of mass hysteria myself.

I'm also not a fan of covering my eyes to the blindingly obvious, tho.

A bit of critical thinking and cop-on goes a long way.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Starting to pick up here now in Portmarnock North Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Shadylou wrote: »
    Calmed way down in cork city.....id say we're over the worst thank goodness and we still have power

Will strengthen again apparently. So don't think that it's over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

not trying to be inflammatory but we need to have a national/global discussion about this type of hype and mass hysteria that's now part of day to day life- nuclear wars and global warming and hurricanes - much worse in Feb 2014 ; it really has gone too far

If the discussion needs to be national, then why the feck are you looking at the weather out your window and using that as a basis for your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

not trying to be inflammatory but we need to have a national/global discussion about this type of hype and mass hysteria that's now part of day to day life- nuclear wars and global warming and hurricanes - much worse in Feb 2014 ; it really has gone too far

I think it's best to wait till after the event has passed to make the determination of whether this was "overhyped" or not.

There's already one unfortunate person dead and one one badly injured.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Spend yesterday and this morning making the place/garden as storm proof as possible then walk into the bathroom and the other half has the skylight wide open.

Hmm smelly bathroom or no roof, she obviously went with the latter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

One dead Waterford https://www.rte.ie/

Anyone that goes out swimming today is a f*cking idiot. Hearing reports of people down in Blackrock in Galway.

Anybody that is rescued from the sea by the coastguard should be made pay for the costs of saving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Storm Darwin brought 25m waves.

Storm surge is still to come . This is a different beast than most people in Ireland have ever experienced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

The power has been reduced. Tv still works but oven and lights are not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Wind has really picked up in North Kildare. Our doormat has just blown away. Not risking going out there to recover it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Dublin 18 - very windy but nothing here so far that warrants much concern. Though I've read that the worst of it is yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not belly aching but I'm not a fan of this mass hysteria and culture of fear that's part of day to day life- I don't buy it and it's not just hurricanes - just my opinion

Considering that there are idiots in our country who decided to go out for a swim or to surf in it, there clearly wasn't enough hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Guarda just pullled up outside my neighbours house, asked him to move his car (parked right beside a tree)
    Fair play to them

Dunno why he has it parked their, any other day it wouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Lamp post outside is moving about quite a bit here in the outskirts of Limerick city....getting scary now

Same here. P & T pole in the back garden looks dodgy. Wish it would fall now while the wind is blowing away ftom the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

its very scary here in Tramore now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

13:15

Xyl3rLh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

soap1978 wrote: »
    Biggest overreaction in the history of Irish weather lol

?!!!?!???!
    1 person has died already, and the storm hasn't hit most of the country yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

signostic wrote: »
    Met Eireann webcam...Roches Point Automatic Weather Station

Very well spotted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tree down outside belle Lake on the Dunmore East Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Definitely a storm in a teacup.....ive seen a few branches off trees but nothing worth keeping the kids off school for and losing a days wages

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

General update (infographic) 13:00:

Screen_Shot_2017-10-16_at_13.07.48.png

Looks very informative, what site is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Roof gone off Douglas Community School.Roofs gone off some north side houses.Turner's Cross stand roof damaged and lots of power lines down in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Blowing quite hard in Malahide but not so hard that one wouldn't go outside. Some of the gusts are quick powerful but barely lasting. Early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

soap1978 wrote: »
    Biggest overreaction in the history of Irish weather lol

Theres nothing more infuriating and disrespectful than this sort of comment. One woman has already lost her life. Would you be happier if more people died?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tree down at Belle Lake On the Dunmore East Road Co Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Shadylou wrote: »
    Definitely a storm in a teacup.....ive seen a few branches off trees but nothing worth keeping the kids off school for and losing a days wages

You want to tell that to the family of the lady that's dead this morning as a result of this storm yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I've got weather envy, id give anything to be in the west of Ireland riding this out in a pub with a cold Guinness, survived the floods in the north back in September in the same fashion

Hunker down and be safe people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

double post, interweb is mighty slow from the states to Ireland

Advertisement