Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

not trying to be inflammatory but we need to have a national/global discussion about this type of hype and mass hysteria that's now part of day to day life- nuclear wars and global warming and hurricanes - much worse in Feb 2014 ; it really has gone too far
    Agree with this to an extent, but mostly in relation to the reaction in Dublin. Work was closed today in a new, state of the art building while builders continued on as normal outside, shopkeepers etc. But sent home for the employer's safety...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Shadylou wrote: »
    Definitely a storm in a teacup.....ive seen a few branches off trees but nothing worth keeping the kids off school for and losing a days wages

Are you serious? someone has already died, I would imagine that there would be many more deaths if everyone was driving their kids home etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I imagine the family of the poor woman in Waterford are not lol .
    RIP to her

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Definitely a storm in a teacup.....ive seen a few branches off trees but nothing worth keeping the kids off school for and losing a days wages

Where is this?
    I doubt the poor ladies family who died in west Waterford would agree...imagine if we had normal traffic on the roads the potential for risk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

ASOT wrote: »
    Theres one person dead you moron.

Sorru, ill take one for the team. I hope that dodgy p & t pole in my back garden falls on my house instead. Moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I've a roof starting to lift off one of my older sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

not trying to be inflammatory but we need to have a national/global discussion about this type of hype and mass hysteria that's now part of day to day life- nuclear wars and global warming and hurricanes - much worse in Feb 2014 ; it really has gone too far

Trump can chair the meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Bloody eejits out in Salthill, are people for real

Its low tide, wind is moderate from the east, there was zero danger walking on the Prom this morning. The tide is much later at 4, there won't be a surge as the wind has been east all morning, in fact the swell (waves) is the smallest on the west today for about a month.
    It wont even be one of the top 20 most dangerous days there today, Salthill is vulnerable from a large West swell and SW winds and a spring high tide, Don't get me wrong, most south facing spots in Cork, Waterford etc are lethal but Teresa Mannion is simply scaremongering

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The relatives of the woman killed in Waterford might disagree. Even if it's transpires that it's not as bad in your area, or in all other areas as Darwin, it's still dangerous and foolish to travel. It is likely more people would be killed if the state and meteorological services were of the same mentality as you. Do you remember the storm of 1989 ? I do. There were several casulaties in that storm precisely because the state and weather service did not give adequate warnings prior to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I've a roof starting to lift off one of my older sheds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Lucreto wrote: »
    The power has been reduced. Tv still works but oven and lights are not working.

Chances are you have a brownout....dont use anything that has a heater element or a motor. Disconnect the fridge and freezer as you risk burning out the motor of the compressor....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Some inconsiderate ar*ehole who basically has my father at his beck and call rang him earlier to go to his exposed, elevated house and store away his garden furniture etc. Couldn't ask him to do it over the weekend of course. The bad weather hasn't even hit where said ar*ehole is either, and he obviously knows we're getting blown out of it.

Mad at Dad too for refusing to say no, but my god I will give that fella an earful next time I see him. Literally couldn't pick his nose without getting my father to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Arcady

Izmak wrote: »
    Still have power in the Camden Court/Camden Wharf area for now.

No problem (yet) with power here in the Shandon area of Nth Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I can see someone with their house from another estate almost backing onto my house walking around their kitchen while they have deliberately left their scared looking dog out in their garden :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Roof blown off Turners Cross stadium in Cork, they'll have to wait another while to lift the title. Another blown off a stadium in Passage West and smashed into houses

Power just gone here in Kildare as well, starting to get rough

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

its fairly savage here in waterford city at the minute...roaring gusts and rain also.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I’ve been impressed by the countries reaction to this

If everyone had gone about their normal Monday morning routine I would have expected multiple fatalities

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The relatives of the woman killed in Waterford might disagree. Even if it's transpires that it's not as bad in your area, or in all other areas as Darwin, it's still dangerous and foolish to travel. It is likely more people would be killed if the state and meteorological services were of the same mentality as you. Do you remember the storm of 1989 ? I do. There were several

The relatives of the woman killed in Waterford might disagree. Even if it's transpires that it's not as bad in your area, or in all other areas as Darwin, it's still dangerous and foolish to travel. It is likely more people would be killed if the state and meteorological services were of the same mentality as you. Do you remember the storm in 1989? I do. During that storm there were several casualties, precisely because the state and weather service did not give adequate warnings prior to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The pubs in Temple bar are reckless with their hanging baskets still up. Just messaged the Temple bar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Solid wind now in Sandyford/Stepaside.
    Some hefty gusts, coming straight down off the shoulder of two-rock.

Nothing worrying yet, but its building solidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Severe gusts passing through West Clare now, extremely severe, I'd expect damage.

Winds are so strong they're blowing up spray from the Shannon. Very sunny now too.

Looks like there could be alot of water blown up on land from the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Not sure if it's been posted already but will post again for attention.

There is a 13 year old child missing in cork. Her father dropped her to the ferry in Cobh this morning to go to school in Passage not knowing school was cancelled.
    The father went to work but was sent home, can't get in touch with the child and she isn't at home or with any friends.

All the local news sources are running with it so it seems legit. As of 1pm she's still missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Citybank isnt built on a river though.

CITI, Address: 1 N Wall Quay, North Dock, Dublin 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

In Limerick's perspective, Storm Darwin was a lot worse due to the positioning of the storm and also due to the Sting Jet feature. The winds blew from a westerly direction rather than a S to SE direction we have now. The winds blew right up the Shannon Estuary rather than the South where plenty of mountains and hills may reduce the impact of the winds.
    I remember Shannon reported 91kts if I'm not mistaken during Darwin.

This is up until now, as the centre moves more northerly the winds will turn more westerly and we'll see what happens then. Still stay safe and don't make unnecessary journeys.

Gone completely flat in North Cork now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Really picking up here in west Dublin. Dog checking out the fireplace as he hasn't heard that howling wind before.

Husband is flying in from Gatwick, due to land after 3. Thought it would be cancelled/delayed...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Hope you have your Vita well charged :)

Both of them are xenji and a PSP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

All secured here
    jcEEuQ5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Section of fence between garden and field has gone down, hopefully the Horses in the field don't find the gap before we can get out and fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

boards crashing and bugging out for anyone else or is it just me?

Advertisement