Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really stepped up a notch in south dublin the last 20 minutes, was out double checking garden is secure and the gusts have some power behind them

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

noah45 wrote: »
    Looks very informative, what site is this?

Just an infographic compiled with my design software, from news sources within the public domain.

Seems to be an increase now in roof's being lifted, (sheds, caravans, building sites) etc. I lost a shed during storm Frank, which isn't as bad as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The driver of the car hit by a tree in Waterford this morning has died in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Seeing lots of people sitting out on boats in Dublin... Some really stupid people around...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Shadylou wrote: »
    Definitely a storm in a teacup.....ive seen a few branches off trees but nothing worth keeping the kids off school for and losing a days wages
    Two posts later:
    smurgen wrote: »
    Roof gone off Douglas Community School.Roofs gone off some north side houses.Turner's Cross stand roof damaged and lots of power lines down in Cork.

Mortified for you Shadylou.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Definitely a storm in a teacup.....ive seen a few branches off trees but nothing worth keeping the kids off school for and losing a days wages

That gets the award for g0bsh1te of the week.

You do realise that there's a woman dead? May she rest in peace.

Are you so concerned about your feckin day's wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

This enough for you so?

https://twitter.com/NadineORegan/status/919900994192007168

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

This enough for you so?

https://twitter.com/NadineORegan/status/919900994192007168

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Thankfully not too bad in Limerick, couldn't imagine the gusts of over 100km/hr that Cork and Waterford are receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I've a roof starting to lift off one of my older sheds

Douglas Community School Gym roof is in someones garden in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been posted already but will post again for attention.

There is a 13 year old child missing in cork. Her father dropped her to the ferry in Cobh this morning to go to school in Passage not knowing school was cancelled.
    The father went to work but was sent home, can't get in touch with the child and she isn't at home or with any friends.

All the local news sources are running with it so it seems legit. As of 1pm she's still missing.

no words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

We'd love a bit of hurricane delight - but kids are here�� Any takers for them????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

We'd love a bit of hurricane delight - but kids are here😙 Any takers for them????

We were finally let go around 12:40. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Not sure if it's been posted already but will post again for attention.

There is a 13 year old child missing in cork. Her father dropped her to the ferry in Cobh this morning to go to school in Passage not knowing school was cancelled.
    The father went to work but was sent home, can't get in touch with the child and she isn't at home or with any friends.

All the local news sources are running with it so it seems legit. As of 1pm she's still missing.

The girl was found safe and well. Heard on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I've a roof starting to lift off one of my sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭strawdog

R.F. wrote: »
    I’ve been impressed by the countries reaction to this

If everyone had gone about their normal Monday morning routine I would have expect multiple fatalities

You can't win sometimes. You don't prepare, people die unnecessarily and you'll get people pointing the finger at the authorities. You prepare, minimal loss of life or injury and you get people saying, "see! nothing happened, just a storm in a teacup". Ultimately , Its one day. Even if doesn't turn out to be that bad, why take any risks?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Hope you have your Vita well charged :)

Both of them fully charged xenji ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

not trying to be inflammatory but we need to have a national/global discussion about this type of hype and mass hysteria that's now part of day to day life- nuclear wars and global warming and hurricanes - much worse in Feb 2014 ; it really has gone too far

The relatives of the woman killed in Waterford might disagree. Even if it's transpires that it's not as bad in your area, or in all other areas as Darwin, it's still dangerous and foolish to travel. It is likely more people would be killed if the state and meteorological services were of the same mentality as you. Do you remember the storm of 1989 ? I do. There were several casulaties in that storm precisely because the state and weather service did not give adequate warnings prior to it.

Out of curiosity, when did the storm in 1989 occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Looks like Dublin will get some high winds around 3pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oh ffs!!

(hope she's found, hope he gets a kick up the ....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My house made of bricks and I can feel the whole place shaking. Step father opened the door to bring the dogs in and the wind knocked the frying pan I was using off of the hob.

There's a power line visible from my bedroom window - just waiting for it to keel over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Is boards taking longer to load for anyone else. Just thank if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

exaisle wrote: »
    Chances are you have a brownout....dont use anything that has a heater element or a motor. Disconnect the fridge and freezer as you risk burning out the motor of the compressor....

Should I disconnect things with sensitive electronics in the environment entirely of a brown out? (eg Smart TVs, laptops, etc?)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

Roof gone from a shop in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Here in north side cork we actually just got a little burst of sunshine and can see a bit of blue sky...happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Semena Mertvykh

Sustained winds dropped significantly in Cork City. Still the occasional strong gust though.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

The relatives of the woman killed in Waterford might disagree. Even if it's transpires that it's not as bad in your area, or in all other areas as Darwin, it's still dangerous and foolish to travel. It is likely more people would be killed if the state and meteorological services were of the same mentality as you. Do you remember the storm of 1989 ? I do. There were several casulaties in that storm precisely because the state and weather service did not give adequate warnings prior to it.
    obviously this is tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Thankfully not too bad in Limerick, couldn't imagine the gusts of over 100km/hr that Cork and Waterford are receiving.

Reports that the roof blew off World of Tiles in the Fairgreen a couple of hours ago. And I've seen photos of garages with blown off roofs in the city centre. Childers Rd is/was blocked by a fallen tree. So it's not great already and I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

Still Nothing to severe in north Wexford any how

Advertisement