Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Storm picking up in North Kildare... Has been just strong winds for the past while but there's been a couple of alarmingly forceful but short lived blasts there a few minutes ago.

Nervously eyeing up a large tree near my sitting room window. Lots of cables around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Boards is a bit wonky for me at the moment.
    nzyZ3MY

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Power gone in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

how long before the TV3 Orphelia documentary with over dramatic music?

Soon after we have a storm called Orphelia...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Just cause there is sunshine, doesn’t mean it’s safe. Taken in Dublin 12

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

how long before the TV3 Orphelia documentary with over dramatic music?

I'd ask the question of how many lives need to be lost before people stop saying this storm is overhyped?

1 person reported dead already on Rte, tree fell on car she was driving. Reports of school roofs and other buildings destroyed. People were told not to go out, but idiots insisted they knew best.

Other idiots out kite surfing, truck drivers out driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Kite surfers had to be rescued.

Selfish ****ers should be left to drown, putting other people's lives at risk :mad:

Update, they weren't kitesurfers, they were windsurfers. They weren't in trouble and didn't have to be rescued. Dundalk Gardai saw them, panicked and made the wrong call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Never seen anything like this before in Tramore.

111km/h gusts.

AoQNMl5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 82,573 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

D6. Hopefully not the first of many!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Gerry Murphy is taking questions on RTE Radio 1 Liveline now. It's also on RTE News Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Anyone getting double posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

111km/h isn't that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is Boards being glitchy for anyone else? I'm not having trouble with other sites

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

C__MC wrote: »
    Still Nothing to severe in north Wexford any how

Very heavy wind in Enniscorthy. Got very heavy about 20 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Yes.

I mean I was talking about the valley and the poddle.
    I mispoke really because its not actually built over the poddle, but Its basically in the poddles flood plain. Unlike Citi Bank which is built on an actual Quay that was planned to be a quay and not in a narrow valley without any consideration to flooding.

I'm saying that they aren't similar to the extent that you could make comparisons, but I'm not looking for a fight either.

Is there a chance of damage to the Citi building? Lots of people working in there I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Massive gust here and then the power went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Wicklow Weather just recorded a 72mph gust. The highest on record at that station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Update, they weren't kitesurfers, they were windsurfers. They weren't in trouble and didn't have to be rescued. Dundalk Gardai saw them, panicked and made the wrong call.

Wow. Safety first. It's a saying I just made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

John_Rambo wrote: »

They're pricks is what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

anna080 wrote: »
    Is Boards being glitchy for anyone else? I'm not having trouble with other sites

Yes, Boards is gltichy for everyone. It's under a huge strain with requests. Even the anti-DDOS system is now kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Reports that the Shakey Bridge in Cork has collapsed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

sunny in cork city but still very windy and gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yawns wrote: »
    I'd ask the question of how many lives need to be lost before people stop saying this storm is overhyped?
    There seems to be two dominant tendencies ... to treat it as Apocalypse Now (which it's not) or to treat it as a typical Irish Autumn storm (which it's not).

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

In case anyone is remotely interested, I've set up a camera to stream live to youtube from a window upstairs looking south. I live on the top of an exposed hill outside Letterkenny Co.Donegal so should be good for seeing it come in.

Can only steam a max of 30 minutes then need to restart again...

https://youtu.be/kKotCqZpEL4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Portlaw waterford fecked 7 roofs have blown off at Brown street

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Has it hit Galway city yet in its full force?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Getting wild here in Clontarf, bits of my neighbour's roof are coming off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Planes really struggling to get off the ground. Thought they were to stop at 1.30 in Dublin.

Advertisement