Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Next doors CONCRETE WALL has just come down.

Oh Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Reports that the Shakey Bridge in Cork has collapsed!

I had never heard of it until this week but did come across a headline sometime last week that it was just one shake away from collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

North Co. Cork, Lombardstown.
    Easing now - still very strong gusts, but sustained winds down. Barometric pressure up to 972 from 968. Sunny spells. Power held out apart from a few blips. Hopefully we are through the worst and it won't pick up again.
    Some unidentified objects spotted in the garden, possibly parts of corrugated roof sheeting (not ours).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

There are still planes taking off at Dublin Airport and flying over built up areas!
    People are advised to stay indoors but planes are still taking off!
    I don't get it?

I'm directly below the path and the planes are really struggling to gain altitude at this point. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Getting consistently stronger in Dublin 12. Some really heavy gusts in last couple of mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Reports of power out in Leixlip, confirmed via esb's website. Smaller outage reported in kilcock also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

When's it coming to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

There are still planes taking off at Dublin Airport and flying over built up areas!
    I don't get it?

Planes can take off fine in this weather, landing is the harder bit actually.

Aviation is the safest industry in the world. If there was doubts over safety, those planes wouldn't be taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I don't get it?

Planes are designed to handle windspeeds of several hundred kilometers per hour....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Achasanai wrote: »
    Update: They may not have realised they were in trouble, but windsurfing on a day like today, with all the warnings given, means they *did* need to be rescued. Gardaí didn't panic, made the right call, and the windsurfers should face some sort of punishment for putting other people's lives in danger.

It was well before any serious winds. They probably knew well what the weather was going to be like. Sounds like gardai made a bad call to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

duplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Still very windy north Co. Cork. Wind has definitely switched direction, hitting front of house now. Still have power here. I think the fact we had little rain made it seem less violent, always sounds worse with rain lashing off the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Paully D wrote: »

Oh Jesus.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

When's it coming to Dublin?

The M8 is closed so it'll have to find an alternative route, which has bought us some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Paully D wrote: »

Oh Jesus.

Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭maurv2

Getting very wild here in Drogheda now. Was reasonably ok this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Just seen a few tiles blow of a neighbors house in Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh, wow, guys, it's starting to hit Dublin!

It's real now, not just us culchies making up stories to coax grants from the government at the cost of the decent, hard-working, law-abiding citizens of Dublin!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

I thought it was easing here in East Clare as the sun shone through..within 10 secs in picked up and one of the stro gest gusts I've heard !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

To be fair, a ghoul would be hoping there are deaths in order to prove they were right about the ferocity of the storm. Those people exist too.

RIP to the poor woman.

No hoping for deaths here, thanks. People pretending to be perplexed at the benefits of the media erring on the side of caution rather than downplaying and then hoping to be “vindicated” by the storm attenuating are morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I had never heard of it until this week but did come across a headline sometime last week that it was just one shake away from collapse.
    Taking that report with a large pinch if salt TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No crosswinds, that's why Aircraft are operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The +100km/hr gusts really hit the south coast the hardest, Cork/Waterford got a right battering. Further inland the gusts definitely dropped a good 40km/hr.

Going into the evening the East coast looks like it could be worse than Mayo/Donegal areas

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Reports of a large amount of trees down around Athlone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

exaisle wrote: »
    Planes are designed to handle windspeeds of several hundred kilometers per hour....

Not designed to take off or land at several hundred kilometers per hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Power out since 1.15pm in Leixlip, Co. Kildare. Over 2000 customers affected.

Very early to have power outages there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Centre of storm is near Aran Islands (2 pm) heading NNE into Connemara, should be about 20 miles west of Sligo town by 5 pm.

Expect a blast of strong westerly winds in Clare and Galway Bay regions soon if not already started. That will fan out inland into most of north and east co. Galway.

Worst may be over in Cork but still some strong gusts at times, wind coming around to a WSW direction that may be less open there.

Will remain very strong gusts Waterford, inland southeast, Wexford and picking up to peak of the storm in Dublin and Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No power here in north cork and gusts seem bad one moment and dying off the next. Bright though no rain at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Someone has put a photo up on the Cork Safety Alerts page and it looks grand. So was just a Chinese whisper I'd say. Still wouldn't feel comfortable going on it after this storm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Severe winds still battering Waterford City here. Electricity went off for a few seconds, but back on now.

I'm just thankful my partner was sent home from work this morning before it got this bad.

Advertisement