Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

shakey bridge has NOT collapsed

• Registered Users Posts: 1 henribotrel

Live now huricane ophelia on youtube search henri botrel worst yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Strong gusts pushing into Castlebar, non stop rain for the last 3 hours or so as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shakey Bridge is fine apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I just drove back from work near cork, It's calming down a bit I think, but there are trees down all over the place!
    Plenty of roads blocked, the roads are very quiet,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

exaisle wrote: »
    Planes are designed to handle windspeeds of several hundred kilometers per hour....

Windspeed yes, when flying at a decent altitude. But certainly not a high crosswind when coming into land, or taking off. Hence why some planes are now diverting from Dublin. Expect services to cease shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Really stepped up a notch in the last 20mins.

She is coming in on us in Galway city alright.

Can't see out the window due to the rain, lights flickering, constant banging outside and the letterbox is going nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

exaisle wrote: »
    Planes are designed to handle windspeeds of several hundred kilometers per hour....
    True, they can withstand jet stream winds at 35000ft but I'd prefer if they didn't fly a few inches over my roof on a day like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

bladebrew wrote: »
    I just drove back from work near cork, It's calming down a bit I think, but there are trees down all over the place!
    Plenty of roads blocked, the roads are very quiet,

More heavy winds expected for Cork soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Mormegil wrote: »
    Certainly calmer in Tipperary than it was 10 mins ago.

Not in Aherlow it isn't. If anything the gusts.are getting stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Severe winds still battering Waterford City here. Electricity went off for a few seconds, but back on now.

I'm just thankful my partner was sent home from work this morning before it got this bad.
    Just listening to people chanting like egging on someone down the street

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Therea a tree blowing fiercely outside my front window right by powerlines too. Hope it doesn't come tumbling down. Sth Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The wind is really starting to howl in Galway
    Gusting up to 74km/h in the city at the moment - it will be higher in more exposed locations
    Barometer 971.22 hPa Falling very rapidly -5.78 hPa/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Power gone about an hour here in south kildare , continuous wind for the last 30 mins , no let up . We're up on a hill here and hoping that this old beech can keep standing

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Power out since 1.15pm in Leixlip, Co. Kildare. Over 2000 customers affected.

Very early to have power outages there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Paully D wrote: »
    Next doors CONCRETE WALL has just come down.

Oh Jesus.

Where's that Paully?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Getting a few good gusts in north County Dublin. I’m right opposite the coast, hoping it doesn’t get much worse than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Neighbours metal shed roof is hanging by a thread here.

Ill be ducking sharply if it gets loose.

I'm looking out my bedroom window by the way, not outside like a dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

True, they can withstand jet stream winds at 35000ft but I'd prefer if they didn't fly a few inches over my roof on a day like this!
    Lol, I hear ya man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Was in Howth by the Martello tower on the Sutton side about an hour ago, really amazing, huge waves coming in and you could lean right into the wind. Back inland now and it doesn't seem much worse than a normal blustery day in Dublin, different story on the coast though.

So despite all the warnings you went down? The weather can change very quickly. Just because it's calm at the time doesn't mean much.

I just heard guards were called to salthill to disperse teenagers from hanging round the diving board.

People's selfishness never ceases to amaze me. Having a look is more important than the lives of emergency services or their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Roofs blown off several shops in Clonmel (a shop on O'Connell Street, and The Crescent from what I've seen), and the roof of the Lidl is currently all over the car park. There were unconfirmed reports of deaths in Tipperary on TippFM. Electricity gone (ESB spokeswoman on TippFM said it could be days before it's restored). Gusts don't seem as bad now as they were about an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The +100km/hr gusts really hit the south coast the hardest, Cork/Waterford got a right battering. Further inland the gusts definitely dropped a good 40km/hr.

Going into the evening the East coast looks like it could be worse than Mayo/Donegal areas

it's gusting 84kph outside Wicklow town. Just had the wind anemometer out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm in Dublin city centre (close to Heuston), it's getting pretty windy but nothing too dramatic yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Update, they weren't kitesurfers, they were windsurfers. They weren't in trouble and didn't have to be rescued. Dundalk Gardai saw them, panicked and made the wrong call.

Dunno why you'd say Gardai made the wrong call! no-one should have been out wind-surfing today, putting themselves and the rescue services at risk of life and limb. Selfish thrill- seeking gits! Imaging what would have happened if they got into bother had the Gardai had not acted in advance?

I hope the Gardai gave them a good round boll&^king!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Golden Lane by St Patricks Park, Dublin, closed off due to roof loose atop the Radisson Hotel. Fire Brigade have closed off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Is it foolish to drive from Belfast to Dublin now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

And if the Garda didn't make the call and they were drowned all hell would break loose. They should not have been out there.

Conditions were perfect. Rescue 116 confirmed that. No assistance required, false call with good intent.

This was before the storm by the way. Not during the storm.

Still lots of Sunday World readers making ridiculously indignant, badly spelt posts FB page!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Is this the worst Dublin can expect wind wise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Several trees down now around Clondalkin and Lucan. It doesn't seem that bad but obviously bad enough to do damage all the same.

Advertisement