Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Worst winds of the day in ennis right now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Apparently the road into Cobh is blocked and emergency services are unable to get into the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Roofs blown off several small shops in Clonmel, including the Lidl. There were unconfirmed reports of deaths in Tipperary on TippFM. Electricity gone (ESB spokeswoman on TippFM said it could be days before it's restored). Gusts don't seem as bad now as they were about an hour ago.

Roof gone from Boxing Complex in Elm Park as well apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have lost a couple ridge tiles now. N. Tipp.

Now my phone line has detached from the top of the pole on my property and is now hanging low over the road. Cars can get under Ok but A large tractor or truck, like the daily milk truck, might snag it.

I was just saying to my son earlier I didn't like the amount of slack they had in the cable as it gave it too much momentum when blowing around and that it would put too much strain where it connected to the poles.

N. Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Winds really picking up in Galway city now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Not in Aherlow it isn't. If anything the gusts.are getting stronger.

It's actually quiet for the first time in hours here, though rain is now getting heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

gandalfio wrote: »
    Is it foolish to drive from Belfast to Dublin now?

Yes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's surely more than 300k customers without power now nationwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

mdwexford wrote: »
    All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

source? I don't understand the logic behind this, the storm will be over by 7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Tigger99 wrote: »
    So despite all the warnings you went down? The weather can change very quickly. Just because it's calm at the time doesn't mean much.

I just heard guards were called to salthill to disperse teenagers from hanging round the diving board.

People's selfishness never ceases to amaze me. Having a look is more important than the lives of emergency services or their own.

I wasn't hanging off a cliff and wasn't in any danger, so you don't know what you're talking about. There are still tonnes of people down at the promenade in Clontarf and around howth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Update, they weren't kitesurfers, they were windsurfers. They weren't in trouble and didn't have to be rescued. Dundalk Gardai saw them, panicked and made the wrong call.

Gardai made the right call. Before they stayed there longer and needed to be rescued and endangered the lives of the rescuers also.

absolute fukcwits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Met Eireann seem to have got the timing spot on. Some egits on here 3,4 and 5am this morning dismissing and basically laughing at the weather reports.. I consider this(right now)a quite dangerous storm.. North East Louth area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Was in Howth by the Martello tower on the Sutton side about an hour ago, really amazing, huge waves coming in and you could lean right into the wind. Back inland now and it doesn't seem much worse than a normal blustery day in Dublin, different story on the coast though.

So despite all the warnings you went down? The weather can change very quickly. Just because it's calm at the time doesn't mean much.

I just heard guards were called to salthill to disperse teenagers from hanging round the diving board.

People's selfishness never ceases to amaze me. Having a look is more important than the lives of emergency services or their own.
    Yet all the news reports have free reign to stand right beside the sea? And it wasn't teenagers on TV earlier on, it was older swimmers in at least their 40's or 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Where are you seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

They're saying on the radio it's swinging around to the south west now. Does that mean round 2 is coming for Cork??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The wind where I am in Dublin seems to be blowing from the North to the South. I'm judging by the orientation of the back garden. Afraid to look out the front, there are old trees every few metres on the verges

Is that right about the wind direction. I'm just curious because I though the wind would be coming from the South, but maybe it's circular now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Department of Education HAVE NOT said schools are closed tomorrow.

Cobh is completely blocked off by land and sea atm. No way in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Several trees down now around Clondalkin and Lucan. It doesn't seem that bad but obviously bad enough to do damage all the same.

I'm nearby and it's windy but not wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

source? I don't understand the logic behind this, the storm will be over by 7.

Probably to give time for damage assessment. No-one wants us all to get through the storm and then a roof to collapse on a roomful of kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

That's the article from yesterday which people are passing around again :)

They haven't made a decision yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hell, they're teenagers, man!

While I absolutely understand where you're coming from, if we could just induce all the adults to act as adults, I'd be inclined to be a bit more lenient with the teenies ...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

eimsRV wrote: »
    Do you have a link?

It's an article going around on FB from the independent.ie..

.. but the article is from *yesterday* - people aren't reading it and just seeing a headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

All schools colleges and cre to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

marvin80 wrote: »
    More heavy winds expected for Cork soon

Is there? Any idea when? :o gusts pretty strong again but will it like earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Roof gone from one business in Enniscorthy.
    Trees and boughs down all around,saw the hoarding and signage from one premises blowing along the street.Wind speed has increased again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I wasn't hanging off a cliff and wasn't in any danger, so you don't know what you're talking about. There are still tonnes of people down at the promenade in Clontarf and around howth.

You were asked not to . Its that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Whoops sorry if incorrect.

Someone sent me a pic from the independent website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I must be in the calmest part of the country now, on the boarder between limerick and clare on the clare side. It's windy out but nothing to write home about, tried taking a video to show my sister who is in australia and it looks like a normal windy day! We are lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It seems to have - dare I say it - stabilised in Laois... still very windy but not getting worse.

Advertisement