Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Getting a swinging pressure headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Fence and large tree gone now in my parents place in Kill, Co. Kildare - conditions described as "scary"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It's very frustrating and disappointing to read about these incidents. We all talk about the good people who work in the rescue services, and I can put a face to one of those good people - A close friend volunteers on the river rescue in the locality of Clogherhead. Never mind that he's my friend, that's not important, it just affords me the knowledge that this good, hard-working man is a father to two young boys who look up to him like there is no one else in the world. They have a great mother too of course, and there's no one like her, but the boys are in full dad-idol mode at the moment as young boys can be for a phase.

He's had a few testing times out on the waters already since he joined the rescue. It's dangerous work even in the calmest conditions. If he had to go and those young boys lost their father, I'd hope that it would be for someone who didn't blatantly ignore the red weather warning just for the lols.

These people who do this, I honestly believe that they don't see the bigger picture. Either that or they have Type-A Assumed Invincibility Disorder (it's real, trust me, don't look it up :o).

In choosing to go out there, they might just be in their own world and not thinking of emergency personnel - "Yeah it's wild out there, but sure I'm a big boy/girl and I'll only hurt myself if anything happens". Or worse...

"Bad things only happen to other people, I'm grand." Or even worse...

"Sure isn't that the reason we have a coast guard in the first place?"

Very frustrating. But I started my day by seeing a gif of a skateboarding teenager set himself on fire without an extinguishing source nearby to attempt a stunt. It ended well in that he didn't die or get badly burnt, but part of me inside might have done having watched it.

Disappoint and frustrate me - yes, but some eejits kite-surfing on an Irish beach today does not surprise me in the slightest. Unfortunately.

The storm is centre-story here, but like any major story there will be lots of offshoots and smaller details to review in the aftermath and lessons to learn.

For me, one of those things already is a clear snapshot into the mindset of some employers and just what they think of their staff vs money. This has been an unprecedented event for us in terms of advanced and high warning, and some of the reports of employer/company responses have left a lot to be desired in terms of how they view and value their employees. It's been more about how they view and value that sacred bottom line.

For example, this was a post earlier in the thread...

The story of your husband adds to a growing pile. Good on him and his co-workers for making a stand.

That said, there are many good stories in the thread about companies giving their workers advanced notice of a day off, fair play to them for acting like humans. It's been mentioned elsewhere, but today is a day you find out who are the "really good companies to work for".

My husband’s boss is someone who would have slaves if it were legal. I WISH I was joking. On payday every month, without fail, he is in foul humour all day because of the money he had to hand over to employees. Seriously. He’s like a Dickensian character and is an example of the reason we need strong employment laws.

OK people in Cork thinking that this is over, it is NOT

https://www.windy.com/?53.097,-7.383,7,m:e5EafU1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Seems like the height of it here in Loughlinstown at the moment, just had a gust of 83km/h, the highest of the day here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

mdwexford wrote: »
    All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

Link please, I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2pm met reports . very strong gusts!

Roaches point 70 Knots.
    Shannon airport 63 knots.
    Johnstown Castle 62 knots.
    Oak Park Carlow 60 Knots.
    Casement 58 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Power gone Baltinglass Co. Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Gardai made the right call.

No. False call is the wrong call. Windsurfers made it in safely under their own steam. No rescue needed, no need for the call.

It's quiet common. People that haven't a clue about weather and the sea see someone in challenging conditions and panic and end up calling out the chopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

OK people in Cork thinking that this is over, it is NOT

?52.204,-6.855,7

How do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

source? I don't understand the logic behind this, the storm will be over by 7.

No electricity and possibly roads still blocked along with possible damage to premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I wasn't hanging off a cliff and wasn't in any danger, so you don't know what you're talking about. There are still tonnes of people down at the promenade in Clontarf and around howth.

Yeah well they're all idiots. Simple as that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Lights flickering here greater Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

gandalfio wrote: »
    Is it foolish to drive from Belfast to Dublin now?

Yes I am in Louth and it is pretty wild. I drove home from Navan an hour ago and wouldn't like to be back out in it

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nothing too major here in West Dublin as of yet. Similar to a strong sea breeze. Lots of rubbish all over the place though. Local pub lost its flags. My assumption was that this is peak for Dublin at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

4Ad wrote: »
    I thought it was easing here in East Clare as the sun shone through..within 10 secs in picked up and one of the stro gest gusts I've heard !

MTC's earlier update in this forum.
    A detail that I wanted to underscore for west coast readers especially from Tralee north to Galway is that extreme westerly winds 130-170 km/hr may develop shortly after the passage of the low centre between 1:30 pm and 3:30 pm. These may be stronger than any winds that occurred in the southeasterly phase before the centre arrived. Violent gusts could cause some structural damage and beach debris could become a hazard in some places (thinking of Lahinch for example). This cycle of the storm will probably begin to lose intensity just about when it reaches Galway so would predict 100-150 km/hr winds there around 3:00 to 4:00 p.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

In West Limerick has certainly calmed down the last half hour. No major damage around here and no loss of power thankfully. Nothing like the force of Darwin in this area thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Maybe to assess if school are safe for children to attend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Whoops sorry if incorrect.

Someone sent me a pic from the independent website.

I seen this too

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

My concrete wall and our neighbours wall on the other side in Waterford have been flattened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is it as bad as its going to get now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Maybe to assess if school are safe for children to attend

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

eimsRV wrote: »
    Do you have a link?
    It's not true.
    Nothing on www.education.ie
    Some numpties are sharing the independent article from last night without checking the date it was published.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

can't understand it either

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

....... wrote: »
    Oh wow - getting closer to Dublin.

Windy and raining here in Tallaght but not Armageddon.

Tree down in Old Bawn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    In West Limerick has certainly calmed down the last half hour. No major damage around here and no loss of power thankfully. Nothing like the force of Darwin in this area thankfully.

Ye arent done yet by a long chalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Still absolutely fine here in Dublin. Small bit blustery but nothing crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Feels like sting jet mode here in Blackwater Wexford gone nuts in last 15 mins ,ramped up big time after 2 hrs sustained 14.34

Advertisement