Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We have had alot more coverage on RTE for storms that were much weaker...Its less than 24 hours away...very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ooompie5 wrote: »
    What should you do if your treee comes down over a road???
    Samaris wrote: »
    Look up your CoCo emergency line now in case the electric's out and call them if you have a tree down. Signal will probably be okay, but admittedly, that could go too depending on where you are.

and will the landowner be billed for the clear up???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I see Met Eireann have added an extra note to their 11.00 am update asking people to be careful tomorrow and saying this is still an evolving situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The Department of Education have outlined guidelines in the event of a status red warning.

They urge schools to be prepared, informed, and vigilant, and say schools "should consider not opening where a Status Red weather warning related to wind is forecast to coincide with the period during which students and staff would be expected to be travelling to and from school."

They add: "Whether the school should open later in the day where an improvement to the weather is forecast is a decision which should be taken in consultation with An Garda Síochána, the local authorities, school transport services and other appropriate agencies based in the school’s area."

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Live on 6th floor in Dublin apartment block, should I be worried lol?

Have our balcony all cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

ooompie5 wrote: »
    What should you do if your treee comes down over a road???

112 ask for the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Is it only red for for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry?

Why not East coast where wind predicted to be highest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Does anyone know if it would be worth picking up a small camping stove in case for electricity outages? We have a toddler and being able to cook would be useful. I’m flipping from feeling ridiculous for considering it (kildare) and feeling that maybe it would be better to have it just in case of electricity outages

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

If schools are open tomorrow. Kids will get to school when the wind is low and then be in danger on the way home. Ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Schools will be closed in Red warning regions. Decision to extend red to Dublin may occur this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

No harm to have water prepared too, by the way. Fill a bath or a large container with water for washing and toilet-flushing and have water prepared for drinking too.

There is a possibility of contamination of water supplies - particularly wells if the pump goes down for some time, but also large reservoirs and mains water supplies. Personally, I'm expecting some water supplies to get contaminated or cut, although not hazarding a guess as to where. Combination of whether your water supply is vulnerable to either the full force (south east) or vulnerable to environmental hazards anyway (west & midlands).

Either way, no harm to have some preparations in place for the possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Michael Fish on Sky News there pretty much said we are in for quite the ride tomorrow.

Amazing how unprepared the country seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Looks like Mayo is probably no longer Red but counties to the south and east of it will be Red.

Kind of validates Met E's decision not make a call >48 hours out.

Mayo will be causing them headaches, as with Ophelia still being 18 hours or so out there can always be subtle shifts in its path till it makes landfall that could bring it more westerly even by just a few miles.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Is it only red for for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry?

Why not East coast where wind predicted to be highest?

i don't understand that either??

either ME is right or the websites are wrong? baffled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Finally Waterford and Wexford added to the list of RED according to a live feed from the NECC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Schools will be closed in Red warning regions. Decision to extend red to Dublin may occur this evening.

That is very late notice to ensure the school is secured and that everyone is notified.

Michael Fish on Sky News there pretty much said we are in for quite the ride tomorrow.

ooh saucy !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

flazio wrote: »
    I'm thinking it's more like we all feel like we're the third little pig in the fairy tale, we didn't build weak wooden houses like the Americans in tornado valley keep doing we built solid brick houses which can withstand harsh winters no bother.
    All well and good until a tree comes in through the roof.

Weak wooden houses; I used to think that way as well but the majority of these wooden houses come pre-built on two or three semi trailers and can be up and hospitable in the shortest possible time-frame.

Newer houses are being built with a permanent reinforced concrete center but they have no plans to discontinue wood. Damage here at home to our bricks will be near permanent taking six months to a year or more to rebuild damage and six months to clear the roads of trees, though councils have done a good job in relocating trees, managed and trimming trees based on long-term weather forecasts, so tree disruption will probably be local and certainly not a repeat of 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,234 ✭✭✭✭km79

Keep going east good girl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

What was that about 1851?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Amazing how unprepared the country seems to be.

Well I suppose if we are not all dead tomorrow and this is a non event then you'll see this thread linked in every nlthread about future storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

There is usually a met eireann lunch time update re warnings so maybe they will add more counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

__..__ wrote: »
    Well I suppose if we are not all dead tomorrow and this is a non event then you'll see this thread linked in every nlthread about future storms.

And if it is an event, it will still be linked! :P

Probably not if we're all dead, I'll grant that one.

Edit: holy hannah, there's 1400 people lurking the Weather forum at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Only 15 hurricanes have come within 200 nautical miles of the Azores Island sine records began in 1851

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Only 15 such events have been measured at the Azores since 1851

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Only 15 hurricanes have come within 200 nautical miles of the Azores Island sine records began in 1851
    Only 15 such events have been measured at the Azores since 1851

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kind of wondering will the office be the best place to ride this out. Getting in for work looks like no issue in Cork, but getting home will be. Might be best to bring a sleeping bag to office, as more likely electricity and water will last there than my house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just watching the NECC press conference. They're advising all schools and childcare facilities to close tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

That is very late notice to ensure the school is secured and that everyone is notified.

My child travels on Bus Eireann. We got a letter last year saying for Red Warnings, Buses would not run. So we have had plenty of notice. I am in Dublin btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So I assume after that press conference, all schools in Cork will be closed tomorrow? Makes decisions easier anyway.

Advertisement