Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Galway has gone absolutely crazy now. Surprised I still have internet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Met Eireann seem to have got the timing spot on. Some egits on here 3,4 and 5am this morning dismissing and basically laughing at the weather reports.. I consider this(right now)a quite dangerous storm.. North East Louth area.

Met Eireann have played a blinder...since at least Thursday last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ginny wrote: »
    It's not true.
    Nothing on www.education.ie
    Some numpties are sharing the independent article from last night without checking the date it was published.

It is true, teacher next door has confirmed it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pressure fallen another 1.5 hpa since my last report. Driving heavy rain at the mo. Belmullet weather!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I think the information about school was due to independents article dated 16th Oct saying Schools closed tomorrow, they have since updated it to schools closed today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

source? I don't understand the logic behind this, the storm will be over by 7.

I think its people resharing the updates from last night. Have seen it a few times but when you click into article its dated the 15th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

fv8ksg.png

ESB crews will be flat out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Still absolutely fine here in Dublin. Small bit blustery but nothing crazy.

Well, this isn’t true. Stop telling porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

lawred2 wrote: »
    can't understand it either

The logic would be to give schools a chance to get in and assess any possible damage and make necessary repairs without 100s of children there. Will be dark before the storm passes so checks will have to happen in the morning. Too late to make the call then. There will be widespread closures tomorrow due to power and damage even if the Dept of Ed don't enforce closures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Power gone 5 minutes in Celbridge, some strong gusts. The most annoying thing is all the house alarms that are now ringing because the power is gone (that has got to be the most worthless feature of an alarm ever conceived)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Pangea wrote: »
    I think the information about school was due to independents article dated 16th Oct saying Schools closed tomorrow, they have since updated it to schools closed today.
    The problem is the independent website puts today date at the top of every page. People aren't scrolling down to read the date the headline was published on.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Is this the worst Dublin can expect wind wise?

No, it will get worse. Look at the forecasts and times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Still fine in Dublin. Just a blustery afternoon. Seems like the east coast is escaping anyy major winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Discodog wrote: »
    Eye has passed Spiddal. Winds now SW

Still ESE here with frequent gale gusts

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It is true, teacher next door has confirmed it

I'm a teacher. We've heard nothing and get no extra information beyond the same press releases everyone else gets. I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My local GAA just lost its roof ,(Enniscorthy co Wexford).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Still fine in Dublin. Just a blustery afternoon. Seems like the east coast is escaping anyy major winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

mdwexford wrote: »
    All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

Not true, as far as I can tell. The Dept's website is advising (from yesterday) that all schools, colleges and creches will be closed tomorrow, Monday 16th. That's today now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Donegal starting to get blustery now:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

There are still planes taking off at Dublin Airport and flying over built up areas!
    People are advised to stay indoors but planes are still taking off!
    I don't get it?
    You don't get because you're not a pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Still absolutely fine here in Dublin. Small bit blustery but nothing crazy.

There are multiple trees down across the city and county so evidently not "fine".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Lights flicking for a bit greater Dublin now power is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

source? I don't understand the logic behind this, the storm will be over by 7.

It may not be true but it is likely as the following may apply.

There could be structural damage to the school.
    Heating systems may not be working.
    Water may not be connected.
    There may be flooding.
    There may be no electrictity.
    Roads may be impassable due to debris.
    Public transport may not be running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Met Eireann seem to have got the timing spot on. Some egits on here 3,4 and 5am this morning dismissing and basically laughing at the weather reports.. I consider this(right now)a quite dangerous storm.. North East Louth area.

In fairness, I think everyone knew that they were know-nothing-know-it-alls. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'm a teacher. We've heard nothing and get no extra information beyond the same press releases everyone else gets. I doubt it.

Neighbor was in our house show the update on the teachers whats app group.

Need to assess if any structural damage in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

A lot of trees down already though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

ESB crews will be flat out

Could takes days before everyone has their electricity back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

All calm and dry here in cork with patches of sunshine.

Apparently this is because we're currently in the eye of the storm, people have a false sense of security, loads on my snapchat now out and about saying 'what was the big deal' but round 2 is about to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mdwexford wrote: »
    All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

I don't think they did.

Advertisement