Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We are wide open in Dublin, but no damage. Park has no trees down

You're in Lucan? There's trees down in Griffeen Park, Willsbrook Park and on the road to Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Does the storm cause the sun to be really bright and glarey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

martinsvi wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised about some of the posters here - just because it's calm and sheltered where you are doesn't mean it's the same for everybody. You could find the met forum on boards.ie yet couldn't find actual weather info from the stations? The internet is full of pictures of damage of various degree, how is this not a red warning for Dublin? The ignorance of some people knows no limits..

I'm not surprised - it's called ignorance and selfishness - if it hasn't affected
    certain people they complain about the weather warning.

This post shows damage in Dublin:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104990011&postcount=5026

The warnings were justified undoubtedly - worst winds to hit Ireland in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Government should have imposed a curfew.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,200 ✭✭✭✭km79

Power gone in east Galway and scary conditions
    Really hope it moves on soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭emo72

You're in Lucan? There's trees down in Griffeen Park, Willsbrook Park and on the road to Leixlip.

wouldnt mind having a walk in lucan demesne. but i'll pass this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

No sign of anything near a storm in Limerick City. It started to get a little blowy around 12.30pm with the odd moderate gust and it seems to have gone away now and calmed down outside. I'm a bit disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

well I'm glad I went walking in Howth it was great. Never felt in any kind of danger at all, there were loads of people out. Seems to have passed now in North Dublin, didn't seem too bad at all, and just a few trees over. Hope Cork etc are over the worst of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Just heard on RTE news, idiots swimming off the Salthill promenade fuppin clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 23,634 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

wonski wrote: »
    If a monkey can do it, he can.
    Don't rely on it! ;)
    Definitely some leaves have come off some of the trees on my street in D5
    Oh goodness gracious dude, you better hurry and gather them up! :eek:
    Vizzy wrote: »
    Apparently he was cutting a tree that was in danger of falling on his house when a second tree/branch feel on him.
    That makes more sense in fairness.

I'd still have stayed indoors and taken the risk to the roof tbh.

But then, I've been abroad and seen people sit in quiet despair on the side of the road staring at the hole in the landscape where their homes, their lives, used to exist.

That's just not something we're used to in Ireland, for all we complain about the weather.

All day.

Every day!

The fooping weather, I can't point the finger at anyone else, I moan about it enough myself! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

murpho999 wrote: »
    Strange logic, how would you know when to take them in? Only when they blow away?

stupid-is-as-stupid-does-gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,463 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

appledrop wrote: »
    I know some parts of the country have been really badly hit but as I expected red warning for Dublin way off. Yes bit stormy here but no way did everything need to close down. Birds still feeding at seed feeder + bins haven't moved an inch. I'm near Malahide like other poster. We have had much worse coastly storms than this in North County Dublin when we just had to get on with it.

It's better to be safe than sorry as it's a dynamic situation.

Imagine if they did nothing and it was really bad.

Also, it can still get worse in Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I've been out on windier days that didn't get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

I'm in Donabate, North County Dublin. So far we've lost our fence panel, there's debris from the building site behind us stuck in the trees and the local doctor's surgery has lost some roof panels. So it might be calm is some parts of Dublin bt not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

1xp34x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

marvin80 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised - it's called ignorance and selfishness - if it hasn't affected
    certain people they complain about the weather warning.

The "I am the world" fallacy in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

There may be a third fatality around dundalk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Wind starting to pick up around rathmines/ranelagh now

Limerick City.

No storm here.

A few moderate gusts.

Calm outside now.

Disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,223 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No sign of anything near a storm in Limerick City. It started to get a little blowy around 12.30pm with the odd moderate gust and it seems to have gone away now and calmed down outside. I'm a bit disappointed.

There's trees down in Limerick city so it must have been a bit more than moderate.

Limerick City.

No storm here.

A few moderate gusts.

Calm outside now.

Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Limerick City.

No storm here.

A few moderate gusts.

Calm outside now.

Disappointed.
    Really? Not relieved?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,686 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

spookwoman wrote: »
    May be a third fatality up around dundalk

A tree fell on a car in Ravensdale.

https://talkofthetown.ie/emergency-services-attending-incidents-ravensdale-haynestown/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Severe flooding in Salthill Galway, sea has reached back of seapoint and Toft park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

How thick are people to ever 1) say this isn't bad because the 10 feet surrounding them aren't bad, and 2) go out walking on sea fronts when a) they don't normally do it and b) they were implored not to.

To the people who are posting "I went out walking on a cliff and it was grand" etc, you aren't coming across as brave or cool, you sound foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Now we enter the phase of the hot takes that equate the fact that people in certain regions didn't get hurt or killed with alert levels being unnecessary.

People never think that the relative lack of injury (so far) is because of the alert levels, which it almost certainly is.

A good metaphor is the Y2K Bug - there was a huge info campaign getting everyone to update their PCs and electronic devices before the year 2000, with warnings that bugs may occur in them otherwise. So everybody updated their PCs and electronic devices. Cut to January 1st 2000 and there's a ream of idiots wondering where all the problems are, saying it was all a sham and overhyped. And they probably can never understand what logic they've missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm very near Limerick and it was really nothing special, we were just lucky so far but I can't see it getting any worse thankfully

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is it expected to get any worse in Limerick city? Have we seen the worst of it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Government should have imposed a curfew.

Govt couldn't organise a game of bingo, let alone a curfew.

Advertisement