Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Does the storm cause the sun to be really bright and glarey?

After a storm like this you could expect the air to be super clear - Like giving the house a good spring clean. The hurricane is doing the same for the sky/atmosphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Limerick City.

No storm here.

A few moderate gusts.

Calm outside now.

Disappointed.

Yeah always disappointing when people's property and lives aren't destroyed, for sure.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

youtube! wrote: »
    A few trees down in navan but otherwise its really pretty tame

Why are some people so dismissive of falling trees? Would you fancy standing under it as it came down? Imagine what other stuff is flying around if the wind is felling trees up and down the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭irishgeo

trees fallen on 2 cars in dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Just outside Castlebar. Awaiting the storm here. Wind is pretty calm at the moment, it's been raining all day but not heavy. Suppose the next couple of hours could change that tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,463 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

well I'm glad I went walking in Howth it was great. Never felt in any kind of danger at all, there were loads of people out. Seems to have passed now in North Dublin, didn't seem too bad at all, and just a few trees over. Hope Cork etc are over the worst of it too.

Do you not realise that that was one of the dangers you faced?

How is a storm that brings trees down deemed as not dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

appledrop wrote: »
    I know some parts of the country have been really badly hit but as I expected red warning for Dublin way off. Yes bit stormy here but no way did everything need to close down. Birds still feeding at seed feeder + bins haven't moved an inch. I'm near Malahide like other poster. We have had much worse coastly storms than this in North County Dublin when we just had to get on with it.

Yeah you are completely incorrect, dublin is being hit with consistent 80kph winds and 120kph gusts that's not the normal winter storm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

all schools closed tomorrow

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Educate together have announced they're al closed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

RTE has just relayed that all schools to be closed tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Eye of storm clicking around West Mayo now. I expect a calm for next 20 minutes but from 4pm this will kick off big time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Limerick City.

No storm here.

A few moderate gusts.

Calm outside now.

Disappointed.

Ok I'll bite.

What would have made it a good storm for you, exactly? What would need to have happened?

Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

emo72 wrote: »
    wouldnt mind having a walk in lucan demesne. but i'll pass this time.

Top half of Griffeen is grand, no damage.

Wouldn't advise people go for a walk yet though.

Would love a starbucks though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

RTE have just said schools are closed tomorrow - said it was not a surprising decision

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

RTE just announced that all schools will be closed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

well I'm glad I went walking in Howth it was great. Never felt in any kind of danger at all, there were loads of people out. Seems to have passed now in North Dublin, didn't seem too bad at all, and just a few trees over. Hope Cork etc are over the worst of it too.
    You're the exact kind of fool who needs to be recused. "it was calm and then out of nowhere I was being blown into the sea"

Well done you put yourself and potential rescuers at risk just cause you wanted a nice walk. Are people really that stupid ? Those swimmers in salt hill should not be rescued if they get into bother. The warning to stay indoors is real and given for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

yop wrote: »
    Eye of storm clicking around West Mayo now. I expect a calm for next 20 minutes but from 4pm this will kick off big time

Better secure all GPS units up there, don't want them flying around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I reckon this storm could have felt more severe during darkness but it never seemed to get going here in rural Galway during daylight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Has the worse of it passed Dublin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭cml387

Facebook footage of a large amount of insulating material blowing off the roof of Lidl in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Getting darker in west Dublin

Very strong gusts

Nowhere near over yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Limerick City.

No storm here.

A few moderate gusts.

Calm outside now.

Disappointed.

Delighted I still have a roof over my head and all the wheelie bins intact :P

MJohnston wrote: »
    Sadly another death confirmed in Cahir, Co Tipp.

The tragedy of both these deaths is that they would not have happened had the victims remained inside as the advice suggested. People never think that it will happen to them.

That's victim blaming etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Schools closed again tomorrow, Confirmed!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/919937962619604992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MJohnston wrote: »
    Now we enter the phase of the hot takes that equate the fact that people in certain regions didn't get hurt or killed with alert levels being unnecessary.

People never think that the relative lack of injury (so far) is because of the alert levels, which it almost certainly is.

A good metaphor is the Y2K Bug - there was a huge info campaign getting everyone to update their PCs and electronic devices before the year 2000, with warnings that bugs may occur in them otherwise. So everybody updated their PCs and electronic devices. Cut to January 1st 2000 and there's a ream of idiots wondering where all the problems are, saying it was all a sham and overhyped. And they probably can never understand what logic they've missed.

I got months of overtime and bonuses to remain in my company working on that bug. It was awesome people like me that let all the doom mongers down:D

But seriously, with regards to the weather today and in Dublin with everyone saying it's fine and they've seen worse. It's all relative. I haven't seen persistent wind and the trees bend about like they are around today.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Stacks mountains in north Kerry windy, we seemed to have escaped the worst if it today, pleasantly surprised as we normally get battered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Schools closed again tomorrow, Confirmed!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/919937962619604992

makes traffic tomorrow light again, delighted :pac:

Advertisement