Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,634 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Picked up here in Dublin in last few minutes/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Has the worst passed Athenry in Galway now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

well I'm glad I went walking in Howth it was great. Never felt in any kind of danger at all, there were loads of people out. Seems to have passed now in North Dublin, didn't seem too bad at all, and just a few trees over. Hope Cork etc are over the worst of it too.

You know that most of the danger in these situations comes from freak gusts or waves? You can be gone before even realising it. Glad you had a nice time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Starting to ease off now, all grand.

Schools closed again tomorrow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,223 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yop wrote: »
    Eye of storm clicking around West Mayo now. I expect a calm for next 20 minutes but from 4pm this will kick off big time

Been kind of lulling me into a false sense of security all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

it's settled down completely around here in Portmarnock...

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Feck sake we haven't even lost power here and Drumcondra is not too bad. No Creche tomorrow is a disaster for us as both front line staff with no family to call on.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Just outside Headford north of Galway City. It was very bad for last hour. Strong wind and gusts from the south and heavy rain. Sky got brighter now. Wind seems to be shifting again from Southern to SW and slowing down a bit. No known damages locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭C__MC

all schools shut tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/clarenbridgegardencentre/videos/1640305505991062/

Guy swimming in Blackrock, Galway just now. I swim here daily and this behavour is unbelievably dangerous.

Absolute fools, sure its a story to the lads down the pub during the week the legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Government should have imposed a curfew.
    And while they're at it, a schedule for changing / washing my jocks would be useful ...

:rolleyes:
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Now we enter the phase of the hot takes that equate the fact that people in certain regions didn't get hurt or killed with alert levels being unnecessary.

People never think that the relative lack of injury (so far) is because of the alert levels, which it almost certainly is.

A good metaphor is the Y2K Bug - there was a huge info campaign getting everyone to update their PCs and electronic devices before the year 2000, with warnings that bugs may occur in them otherwise. So everybody updated their PCs and electronic devices. Cut to January 1st 2000 and there's a ream of idiots wondering where all the problems are, saying it was all a sham and overhyped. And they probably can never understand what logic they've missed.
    <3

And probably never will ... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Tree down in Ashtown (D7). Fair play to the Corpo, they already have a JCB clearing the road.

Still plenty of strong gusts here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Govt couldn't organise a game of bingo, let alone a curfew.

And if they did they'd be whining about that too...there were huge warnings for days, continuous warnings and coverage. If people can't abide by that not much else the govt can do.
    How would you organize and impose a curfew?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Are Roscommon/Westmeath over their worst of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Danger's not done when it's passed though - Galway is due what looks like its heaviest band up against the coast tonight, after about 7PM. That's likely to hit the coast/west of Galway more than the city I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I reckon this storm could have felt more severe during darkness but it never seemed to get going here in rural Galway during daylight.

I wouldnt think its over yet for us in galway. Im going by this site and it seems thr worst is yet to come as the storm heads more north

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.9;-9.4;5&l=gust

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

MJohnston wrote: »
    Now we enter the phase of the hot takes that equate the fact that people in certain regions didn't get hurt or killed with alert levels being unnecessary.

People never think that the relative lack of injury (so far) is because of the alert levels, which it almost certainly is.

A good metaphor is the Y2K Bug - there was a huge info campaign getting everyone to update their PCs and electronic devices before the year 2000, with warnings that bugs may occur in them otherwise. So everybody updated their PCs and electronic devices. Cut to January 1st 2000 and there's a ream of idiots wondering where all the problems are, saying it was all a sham and overhyped. And they probably can never understand what logic they've missed.
    Yup. Prepare well, implore people to stay indoors and keep the fatality number down leads to eejits complaining that it was overhyped (despite 2 people so far confirmed to have died). Fail to prepare and have people go about their daily business as normal meaning more injuries/fatalities/disruption leads to the same eejits complaining at the lack of preparation causing fatalities.

360,000 people (so far) without power and people are still saying it's just a bit of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In Ballinasloe at the moment and it's still quite blustery. A lot of trees around East Galway are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

The flight I was meant to be on from Dublin to Tenerife departed a half hour ago, I don't know how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Dublin city centre - Connolly station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

C__MC wrote: »
    Can you confirm if it's pretty mild in swords

Knocksedan completely cut off with trees down on way to manor and the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

C__MC wrote: »
    all schools shut tomorrow

It seems an over the top reaction to me... Especially around us here in Dublin. It should have been on more of case by case basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Boards is really in tatters today

Don't seem to be able to post images

https://imgflip.com/i/1xp34x

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Maybe they are Dutch or German
    they love to go out on the beach with stormy weather like me
    Just came inn with the dogs
    Just because foreigners do it doesn't make it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,929 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Quite gusty and noisy still here in Dublin. Am watching the trees in the park out back. One down, one on its way. Not a soul out there thankfully and it's usually jammed with walkers, runners and dog walkers etc.

It is not over yet. Seems to be getting a bit stronger where I am anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Fairly quite around Athenry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lawred2 wrote: »
    It seems an over the top reaction to me... Especially around us here in Dublin.

It's to allow staff to check that the buildings didn't sustain any damage and are safe

Seems reasonable to me. They're hardly gonna close all schools apart from those in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Near Loughrea and I was dreading the thoughts of today. I haven't been outdoors today since 11 to go to the shop. I was really expecting it to be a lot worse - or is worse to come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Brightening up now in the north west of Galway. Not sure if it's over but what had here wasn't out of the ordinary of what we're used to.

Advertisement