Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd say Dublin has 2 hours to go , if the trend is like wexford .
    solid storm since before 1 pm here and still rattling the roof at 4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Galway city here. It's not too bad, strong gusts but no major damage. I still have power. Salthill prom and spanish arch flooded but that always happens. No different to the other storms over the last few years. People getting all excited over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

AidoEirE wrote: »
    I wouldnt think its over yet for us in galway. Im going by this site and it seems thr worst is yet to come as the storm heads more north

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.9;-9.4;5&l=gust

That site is crap, it says wind speed in Dublin 95km/h yet I look at this site and ummm..

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It's to allow staff to check that the buildings didn't sustain any damage and are safe

Seems reasonable to me. They're hardly gonna close all schools apart from those in Dublin

Why not, sure schools all have different days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

3rd person dead from a tree/trees that fell in Dundalk. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Limerick, Raheen area, was gusty and just a bit scary until now, quiet atm. No damage to be seen in the estate, wasn't that bad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Three fatalities so far.

Three too many despite Red Alert. RIP all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I, for one, am delighted that the wind in Limerick, wasn't as intense as it was during Darwin.

But there were still a lot of trees down - including one at a busy junction (Sarsfield House and Tesco) at a time when there would normally be lots of people passing.

The fact is IMHO that the storm wasn't as bad as it could have been because everyone WAS prepared. The majority of people weren't out driving, walking or cycling. And the majority of people had secured any potentially mobile items.

Its still blowing hard here in the city - in our house we were protected from the Southerlies but are wide open to the Westerlies.

I think a good-great call was made by those concerned for our welfare and everyone involved played a blinder.

Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Three fatalities so far.

Three too many despite Red Alert. RIP all of them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pressure has turned the corner in Westport. Wind picked up suddenly and is pelting us with rain from the west.

430807.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Third victim confirmed north of Dundalk. RIP

https://talkofthetown.ie/man-killed-north-dundalk-tree-falls-car/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

All Schools closed again tomorrow. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Still strong wind and heavy gusts in Tallaght. Lots of trees down all around. Lots of people taking strange risks, like bringing young kids out to look at the damage and standing around having chats under the same trees that are getting blown down. Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

John.Icy wrote: »
    What is with the absolute censorship by some on here for people saying it's not overly bad in their vicinity?

People are annoyed when posters follow it up with 'I don't know what the fuss is all about'

Very gusty in the midlands, been like this for a few hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭lolie

My brother just sent me a pic from London at half 3, it's gone very dark in London with car and street lights all turned on. Must be Saharan dust and maybe smoke from the Portugal wild fires.
    Haven't been on here for over an hour so don't know if others have mentioned it already.
    London 11am
    430811.jpg
    3.30pm
    430810.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Why are some people so dismissive of falling trees? Would you fancy standing under it as it came down? Imagine what other stuff is flying around if the wind is felling trees up and down the county.

One from Dublin here.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/919940111965487106/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fliveblog.irishtimes.com%2F2936176a2b%2FHurricane-Ophelia%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

YeaYeaSure wrote: »

Why is it madness?

Schools need to be assessed and roads may be dangerous tomorrow.

Decision is correct in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

marno21 wrote: »
    Is it expected to get any worse in Limerick city? Have we seen the worst of it now?

Stronger gusts forecast to come this evening from the West/SW. flooding is a possibility supposedly with the wind direction and already high tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Some damage to roof of Turner cross stadium cork. Can't do link but they must have had some severe gusts to cause that much damage. Think we got off lightly where we are. No power though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Met Eireann has fresh warnings for those in the Midlands and Connacht:
    “Take extreme care. A swathe of severe southwest winds already over parts of Clare, will propagate northwards through Connacht and west Midlands in the next couple of hours, as Storm #Ophelia continues to track north – northeastwards.”

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

polydactyl wrote: »
    No Creche tomorrow is a disaster for us as both front line staff with no family to call on.
    Yep, this is definitely the worldwide standard for "disaster" all right!

It's not watching your home and everything you own being blown away into oblivion, or indeed swamped by a tsunami; it's not wondering if the rest of your family survived, or where the fk they are; it's the creche being closed the day after an (ex) hurricane which thanks be to every god and karma you can imagine wasn't as bad as it might have been ....

#firstworldproblemsireland

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Bank holiday FIFA in full swing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

It doesnt say that.
    It says max Gust is 95.
    Says average Wind speed is 31km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm in Galway city. This is no different to any of the other storms over the last few years despite all the hysteria. Strong winds, rain and coastal flooding. It's happens once every 2 - 3 years. I don't know why everyone was getting so excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

yop wrote: »
    Eye of storm clicking around West Mayo now. I expect a calm for next 20 minutes but from 4pm this will kick off big time
    It's moved around to s/sw in south Mayo now. It'll pick up but hopefully no stronger than the earlier easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

Thought I'd get a video of the gusty weather out the back here in Maynooth..

430809.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

YeaYeaSure wrote: »

It is madness. It completely takes the biscuit.

Close the schools that are damaged or without power.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

All it takes is one falling bough or roof tile and we've another fatality.I drove through it earlier when it wasn't as bad and even then there were trees and stuff down. Just because somebody's home is sheltered,they could go 50 yards up the road and get hit with something.

It was bloody frightening this morning, in Rathcormac. Typical of a large section of boards, pure mé feiners if it doesn't impact them directly.

Also the ignorant fcuks who take chances hiking/swimming/pier-walking, absolute langers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

John.Icy wrote: »
    What is with the absolute censorship by some on here for people saying it's not overly bad in their vicinity?

You can only report what's in your area. If you're more sheltered and not seeing anything major - report it.

Jumping down the necks of posters for reporting what they are experiencing. If someone in area X says it's not that bad, don't quote them saying how dare they when a tree fell down in area Y. Like what?

Seen next to no posts about warnings not justified, just people stating it's not that bad where they are, which is absolutely allowed according to me.

And I disagree, theres been plenty of posters saying "called it! overhyped!" "cant believe we called a national warning for this" etc etc, looking out at the trees and being out in it are two very different things, this weather is nothing like weve seen for decades, maybe in the midlands its not too bad but its a fact that Dublin is being consistently hit right now with winds it has not seen for many many years, as well as swords, malahide, and all points along its coast. Anyone saying otherwise is either trolling or trying to play the big hard man for some ridiculous reason.

Advertisement